Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148663 10/07/05 03:16 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I remember her hailing a lot of taxis and being mostly on foot in S1. And that she was driving a car Lex gave her at some point.

But does anyone know when the Jeep showed up? I'll take a rough estimate, an exact time, or anything in between.

Was there any comment on it? "Nice car, Lois." "Oh, is that new?" That sort of thing. Or was it just *there* one day?

Thank you for any answers! Much appreciated!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I remember asking about that a couple of years back, CC. It just appeared early in S2, with no comment at all - suddenly, out of the blue, she was driving a silver Grand Cherokee.

I can't actually remember the first episode we saw it in. I know she had it in TOGOM - they feed Bobby Bigmouth in it and later drive to Georgie Hairdo's in it. They're in a car in The Prankster - when Clark sticks his foot out and stops it during the skid - but according to the script it's the Daily Planet staff car. I'll take a look at the ep in a bit and see whether it's actually the Jeep or not. And there you go - the first reference to the Jeep in the scripts is indeed in TOGOM.

As to why I was asking about it a few years ago... Consolation Prize goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Back again - I just watched the relevant scenes in The Prankster for you, CC (such sacrifice! goofy ).

Anyway, when Lois and Clark are travelling to Randall Loomis's house they're clearly in a silver SUV which looks very like a Grand Cherokee. But, out of very great dedication, I watched on. And, in the scene where the Jeep slides on the oil Kyle Griffin spread all over the road, we get a clear look at the front of the car. If I knew how to make a screen cap from an episode clip, I'd do it, but anyway, we see a Jeep grille, the word JEEP just above it, and the clincher: the LL vanity plate.

So Lois definitely had the Jeep by The Prankster. I don't remember a car at all in The Source or Madam Ex. However... I just took a look at Wall of Sound, because I remembered them using a car to visit Lenny Stoke's old partner. We never see the car they use clearly, but it's definitely an SUV. It has dark grey rails on the roof. In the scene in the woods, it looks silver. Later, back in Metropolis, it looks white. However, I think there's enough evidence to conclude that she had the Jeep in Wall of Sound - earlier than I gave it to her. wink

Hope this helps!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. Now that's dedication. Nice going, Wendy!

If I knew how to make a screen cap from an episode clip, I'd do it
There are several free programs out there which will allow you to take screencaps of part of the screen, and then work with them. As I recall, though, it takes a little digging to find them and I think they may be shareware rather than freeware.

Luckily, you don't really need them. Windows has everything you really need built in.

The steps to take are as follows:

1. Pause the video at the frame you want. (Duh.)

2. Hit the prntscrn button. Depending on your keyboard, this may be in some isolated area (usually towards the upper right, in the same row as the function keys) or may be a secondary function of a different button (on my laptop, it's fn + insert). This will copy everything that's on your screen to the Windows clipboard.

3. Open up a blank image in the image editing program of your choice. MS Paint will do if you don't have something better.

4. Hit paste (ctrl-v or choose "paste" off the edit menu).

5. Trim down the image to isolate the portion of the screen that you want. Most image editing programs will let you simply crop the image. With Paint, you have to do it manually:

a. Click the select button. This gets paint in the right mode, and confirms to it that you're done pasting the image and don't need to move it around any more.

b. Select the portion of the image you want.

c. Copy it. (ctrl-c or Edit -> Copy)

d. Open a new blank image, smaller than what you're pasting. (ctrl-e or Image -> attributes. Choose a small size. 100 x 100 pixels, maybe, or even smaller if you want.) You can also just shrink the existing image without opening a new one, and then paste over it. If you make any mistakes, ctrl-z or Edit -> Undo.

e. Paste the selection into the now-shrunken image. The boundaries of the image will expand to accomodate what you've pasted.
6. Save the image, and you're done!

It's a fair number of steps, I'll admit, but it's really not that bad for just the occasional screenshot.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I like to make screen caps through Movie Maker... there's a little camera button right under the screen on the right hand side.

Though this is only helpful if you already have the ep imported. goofy

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I do, Sara, and it was Movie Maker I was using to check the eps for signs of a Jeep. I had no idea there was an easy way to make caps using it! Where does the program store them? Or does it offer an option to choose the location?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
It brings up a save box for you, so you can choose where you'd like to save it. It also keeps a copy in the collections folder of the episode from which it came. smile

Rach and I have way too much fun amusing ourselves with this function, playing our own version of the caption competition. laugh

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you, Sara!

Okay, for CC's benefit, here's the car in Wall of Sound:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Note how it appears to be white in the second pic. Anyway, you can decide whether that's the Jeep or not! I suspect it probably is, even though the script describes it as a Daily Planet staff car.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oopsie. blush Haven't used WMM in a while. Completely forgot about that. Well, that makes things easier. laugh

And lol at those pics, Sara!

As for the Jeep... Looks like there's some flexibility there. Cool. And once again, good work, Wendy! Nice eye for detail!

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOis' jeep first appeared in the Season 1 episode (according to the script) The Ides of Metropolis (Eugene hides in her jeep when LOis comes out of the court) .

And no, I don't think anyone ever acknowledged her new car.

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! Well spotted, Ankit! I took a look at the episode and you're right: Lois was definitely driving a Jeep. Here's the screencaps:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The one thing I can't make out is the front plate: it's impossible, at least to my eyes, to tell whether or not it has the LL vanity plate.

Looks like the writers conveniently decided to forget that Lois had a car of her own after that - she reverted to walking/taking taxis/driving a Planet car. It's no wonder hardly anyone remembers seeing the Jeep in Season 1; this really is just a glimpse, and it seems Lois was given a car purely so that Eugene could lie in wait for her inside it. Bit difficult for him to do that if she was taking a taxi! goofy

Anyway, CC, since there was no sign of a Jeep or any other car for Lois apart from Luthor's Mercedes for the rest of Season 1, I think you could probably assume that she acquired it at some point in very early Season 2 if that suited your purposes better. On the other hand, if having the Jeep around in late Season 1 helps, you now have canon for it. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
And here I thought this was a simple question!

Thank you everyone for your answers, your unrelated techno-babble, and your screen caps. And Wendy, you went the extra mile for me! I really appreciate it.

Ok.

So. We do get a glimpse of the Jeep in S1. Hm. For the purpose of not having my premise shot to hell, I'm going to fudge that.

Maybe the DP staff cars were all Jeeps? And Lois really liked driving them. But when the DP exploded, all the Jeeps were in the parking garage, thus destroyed... hmmmm... So she bought one of her own early S2!

Eh. It's clunky, but I think close enough that I can fake it.

Thank you!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, there are other S1 eps where they're in staff cars and they're not Jeeps, CC, so you could legitimately say that maybe one of them was a Jeep. goofy

Besides, if we tried to follow canon on these minor details too closely, we'd end up tying ourselves in knots - just think of Lois's apartment number (and floor), or the layout of Clark's apartment! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it'd be safe to assume that there were a variety of staff cars. For stakeouts and stuff. You wouldn't want all the cars in the motorpool to be the same. They'd be too easy to spot.

So... maybe Lois tried out the staff Jeep, liked it, and bought one for herself in S2?

Paul

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard