Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
It was A Perfect Valentine\'s Day: The Dream Comes True by Raquel Guimaraes. We had been emailing each other for a couple of months before she first posted this one on Zoomway's. She had told me about fanfiction (I remember my shock at thinking 'wow! This thing really exists??' I had been writing fanfic for years, thinking I was the only person in the world indulging in such a weird habit. Boy, was I wrong laugh ) and given me links to the Archive, Zoomway's boards and the ficlist - which didn't come at very handy at first, because everything looked so big and complicated to me... blush I went to the boards to read that story, though, because it was hers, and then I thought 'hey, maybe it would be worth it to give it a shot!' So I started writing (in English, for the first time) and reading from the boards - next fic I read was Anna Belcher's Tiny Pieces , while I also started reading Alicia U.'s Medical Miracles , which she had just started posting in parts.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
The first L&C fanfic story I read was Sheila Harper's "Heaven's Prisoners". As she wrote in her forward I too felt that her set-up premise was flawed, but back then I'd never presume to question a writer's plot and characterization.

It was the 'meat' of the story that captured my attention. The hearbreak and the depth of emotion that Sheila was able to convey was something new to me. I was hooked.

A short time later, I thought about writing my own fic and checked the archive only to find that someone with the same name had already written a couple of stories. So, in order to not be confused with that writer, I resurrected my old college nickname.

The rest, as they say, is... whatever they say.

Tank (who has read a few more fanfics since then)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Um, Tank, Heaven's Prisoners was written by Demi, not Sheila.

Laura

β€œRules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ah, yes, the majordomo list. smile I was sitting here trying to remember what that thing was called and coming up blank until someone mentioned it. Now that brings back memories but the problem with trying to remember which story was my first L&C read is that there were so many coming through the majordomo list at that time and I probably read them all in one sitting the first time I got some.

So, I really have no idea what was first for me but the earliest one that always comes to mind was Zoomway's " Dirty Bubbles ". Of course part of the reason it probably made such a big impression is that I love short vignettes with great payoffs and it has such a doozy. laugh

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have no idea...

When we first got online, around the end of 1996, my sister and I would sign up for the one month free trials, and hop between ISPs. But much of the time we'd not get round to signing up to a new one, so my internet access was patchy. But once I found the archive I devoured it all (which was a lot easier to do back then :p )

But early ones I read that got me hooked are, in no particular order:

Zoomway's It\'s about time (Ok, there is an bit of an order, I think this was the fic that made me realise that fanfic was A Good Thing)

Sheila Harper's A Shot in the Dark

Chris Mulder's Love Beyond Measure and Dimensions of Loving

Susan Stone's Aliens and Strangers and Laney and the Giant Killers

There are more, but I've read so many fics so many times, I couldn't honestly tell you when I first time was. smile1

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Susan Stone's Aliens and Strangers and Laney and the Giant Killers
Kid fic isn't generally to my own personal tastes, but I do remember that Susan's NG stories were among the small no. of exceptions stored on my hd. Definitely recommended if you do enjoy the genre.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Oooh! I *highly* recommend Susan Stone's stories! I'm not much for Next Gen stories, either... but these two, especially Aliens and Strangers, are on my all-time favorites list. I have printed out copies that have been read several times over. laugh

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
πŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts πŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I'm pretty sure the first fic I ever read (or at least the first I remember) was The Heir by Piper. Does anyone know when it was written? The story stayed in my mind for years until I finally found the name of it this year and re-read it and the continuation, The Heir: Healing.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Oops, sorry about that. My only excuse is that I'm old and the memory is quite faulty now.

Tank (who really likes Sheila's stories too)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL, thank you, Tank! I certainly return the sentiment, especially seeing that my first contact with you was when I asked permission to write the nfic in-betweenie for your "Love Disabled."

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can remember the very first LnC fic I ever read was Crystal Wimmer's 'Full Circle'. That was in 1997. It dealt so wonderfully with the pesky cliffhanger that the actual show left us with - the problem of the baby. Who, what and where he came from, and why he showed up when he did.

Then I went right to all the virtual seasons and read them right thru. smile Sat back at the end of all that with a satisfied sigh for about fifteen minutes and then began to panic... I had run out of stuff to read!!

But then lo and behold I found the archive and was saved... I proceeded to devour the archive in chunks, author-sized ones. And from there I went to IRC and the boards - and the rest is history.

keep penning,

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard