Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Lately, I (for lack of a better word) noticed something that got me confused help If anyone could help me, I would be grateful.

First of all, two examples:

a) "I don't know what's going on," Clark said.

b) "I don't know what's going on," said Clark.

Secondly, please bear with my shower of questions:

1) Is there a difference between the meaning of the two, or can they be used interchangeably? (It seems to me that b) is putting a bit of emphasis on who spoke, but it might be just me.)

2) Is it a UK/US thing? I think I've only seen b) used in UK writing, but I could be entirely wrong.

3) Using both structures in a story would be considered as 'variety' or as 'inconsistency'?

Thanks a lot!!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Anna smile

The second example was used a lot in fiction up until around 60 or 80 years ago. Now, it's considered pretty anachronistic and you'll rarely see it in published fiction.

If you pick up childrens' books by British authors such as Enid Blyton, you'll see the 'said John' formula a lot. I'm not sure if it was ever used in the US - I can't remember my Katy books that closely!

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers recommends putting the subject first:

Reversing the two ("said Dave"), though often done, is less professional. It has a slightly old-fashioned, first-grade reader flavour.
Hope this helps!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
It helps a lot, Wendy! Thank you so much!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, Wendy answered first, but I agree with her.

Technically, both ways are correct. And both mean the same thing.

But the second way, the "said Clark" option, has a more Dr. Seuss sing-song feel about it. Almost poetic or with an intentional rhythm. You do see this pretty much only in stories or textbooks written for beginning readers rather than in adult fiction.

Funny but stuff like this I never think about until someone asks, but I can see how it can be confusing.

Which leads me to wonder, I've heard that English is considered by many to be the hardest language to learn by non-English-speaking people because it has so many irregularities and inconsistencies. Since I've always spoken English, I find this hard to believe. When I look at writing from Asia or the Middle East and hear it spoken, I imagine Chinese or Japanese or one of the Asian languages would be far more difficult to learn/speak. Heck, just learning the alphabet or way of writing seems overwhelming. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Top Banana
Top Banana
Which leads me to wonder, I've heard that English is considered by many to be the hardest language to learn by non-English-speaking people because it has so many irregularities and inconsistencies.
I've heard that too, Lynn. For many years, I didn't think it to be true, but after my year in England, I just know it's right. At least, when it comes to languages in the same alphabet.

The English language has so many rules and exceptions, it's hard to learn in depth. It's not so difficult to learn the basics, but to become fluent is quite hard. I've learnt so much from just being among English speaking people, I could never get all that from text books.

I speak two other languages that aren't my own, and I've learnt one or two others that I haven't kept up with, yet I still know the basics. And it took me about twelve years to reach this level in English, while it took me like four for German...

What does help for us Europeans is that we're surrounded by different languages and that you hear it more often (English being the major one). So it's easier to pick up.

And thanks for asking that question, Anna. I've wondered about that too, but always forgot to ask. smile

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, this is interesting. I always knew that the second option was rarely used, but I hadn't realised until Wendy's post that it had gone out of fashion or that it was considered not quite the done thing to use it these days.

I've never used it because I don't like it <G>. No reason, just one of those unreasonable prejudices. wink But up until now I've always felt somewhat guilty about that and always promised myself I'd try really hard to include a few along the way. Don't think I ever got there.

Thank goodness I can stop feeling guilty about it! goofy

Thanks, Wendy. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, I know a few fic writers who do use that formulation, so I'd hasten to add that there's nothing actually wrong with it. As Lynn said, both ways are correct. I'm certainly not saying that anyone who does use the 'said Clark' formulation should change! If you're writing for fun and not with the intent of trying to get published, it doesn't matter a fig what any writers' guide says - what matters is (within the parameters of correct grammar) what you feel comfortable with.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thank you all for the replies!

It's funny, but when I first started writing, I used the 'said Clark' formula. The first parts of 'Lois, Clark and Sharlynn' are written this way. But later I picked up 'Clark said' because I saw it used more often around here.

Which leads me to wonder, I've heard that English is considered by many to be the hardest language to learn by non-English-speaking people because it has so many irregularities and inconsistencies.
The English language has so many rules and exceptions, it's hard to learn in depth. It's not so difficult to learn the basics, but to become fluent is quite hard.
It depends on the level of fluency you're trying to achieve, I think. Up to a certain level (i.e. the level required to post in such a conversation) English is much easier than any other language I've come across. The problem comes when your writing is required to be absolutely flawless. English has the easiest grammar possible (no offense, but conjugating a verb in English is a joke) but it also has a lot of little details that are very easy to miss. Not that other languages don't, but I guess that, when learning the basics is not just a piece of cake, you learn to keep an eye open for any little detail and you're better prepared.

Babbling. Sorry. I'll just shut up now.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard