Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#148346 08/25/05 12:31 AM
Bumpkin Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hello everyone,

I gotta question to put to everyone here...

I was thinking that I could give my muse a mule kick of a restart and one of the ways that I like to do that is to write crossover fic... but that is not a genre that is all that popular in the LnC worldview which leads me to my question...

What shows do most ppl on these boards watch other than LnC? What would most ppl like to see as a crossover and what shows are you all most familiar with? (not being familiar with the show being the biggest complaint of crossovers normally)

And no show is too off to cross - there are always ways <g> that is part of the fun. So if everybody watches it - then I might be able to use it no matter how not related to LnC it might be smile

thanks and keep penning,

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#148347 08/25/05 01:28 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Hey Marnie! I haven't seen you post for a while. Good to see you.

Re: Crossover shows. I don't watch either, but I think a lot of people watch West Wing and Stargate.

I've heard people talk a bit about CSI. There are movies too like Batman Begins.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#148348 08/25/05 02:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
L & C + Desperate Housewives. Couldn't resist laugh

c

#148349 08/25/05 02:32 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yup, Stargate. <g>

Shayne, Roger, Karen - still gonna be looking for those Xs you were discussing last night. laugh It's time this genre was explored more. (Especially if the X is Stargate <G>)

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#148350 08/25/05 04:03 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Ditto Stargate!! hyper

James!!! Is the muse in gear? wink

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#148351 08/25/05 04:07 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(not being familiar with the show being the biggest complaint of crossovers normally)
The thing which has always made this genre one of my least favourites over the years is that I've never felt of the ones I've read that they spent equal time on the shows and characters they were using. They always seemed to be slanted more towards one show/set of characters than the other.

Now, that, I have to qualify, was many, many years ago. I gave up reading crosses for that reason a long time back. So I've no idea if that's true of the genre today. But it might be something to keep in mind for anyone tackling a X.

One great exception I found, even back in the day, was Becky Bain's wonderful LNC/B&TB X, which dealt so beautifully with both shows that even for a reader who'd never seen B&TB it was easy to understand the characters and what they were about. It's available on the Archive, btw, for anyone who hasn't yet read it and wants to.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#148352 08/25/05 04:20 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wait.. we're expected to write those ideas now? shock Eek! peep

CSI would be interesting. There are quite a few of us that watch Stargate and Desperate Housewives. *eyes James* Keep thinking Justice League, but that might be a bit too complicated, and, oddly, wouldn't mesh well because it would seem too much like the cartoon.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#148353 08/25/05 04:23 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wait.. we're expected to write those ideas now?
Oh yeah. Didn't think you were going to get away with coming up with all those great scenarios and not have to follow through, did you? goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#148354 08/25/05 05:15 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I was thinking I might like to see Starg---

/me notices Labby's last post and promptly shuts up

No idea, Marnie, none at all goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#148355 08/25/05 05:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From Daneel
Ditto Stargate!!

James!!! Is the muse in gear?

Jose
From Karen
*eyes James*
It's still in the gestation stage, but yes, I am writting a series of stories that X with Stargate. I've been a little busy betaing for another writer of Stargate, who, while having a wonderful ideas for stories, is painfully in need of a beta reader (About 90% of her paragraphs need touching!), so I am just finishing beating...er, betaing the last part of her story and so I have some free time to put into my stories, of which there are already 5 in the works, give or take 2.

The beta for the first story should be getting something soon...

Crossovers I'd like to see...hmmm
Trading Spaces: Imagine if the designer wanted to redo the living room on Hyperion Ave.

Knight Rider:(really showing my age there)

CSI:the original show:I just can't imagine Grisome being fooled by Clark's alter-ego.

Early Edition

Quantum Leap

7 Days:Now that it has been on the SciFi channel, more people will recognize it.

Law & Order

Really out there Crosses

Farscape

Simpsons

SeaQuest

I could go on with really wacky ones, but I'll read about any crossover, except Desperate Housewives.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#148356 08/25/05 07:52 AM
Bumpkin Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey Irene, its nice to be back smile

Well there seems to be a resounding Stargate vote here so far... hmmm I could possibly work with that... CSI Vegas being a close runner up and that is one that I could very easily work with too... hmmmmm....( mad /me is thinking hard here.. can you smell the smoke?)

And to address Labby's very valid concern of not spending enough equal time on the characters - for this particular exercise I was thinking of keeping it nice and short anyway smile so it will be much easier in giving the characters equal 'shrift' <g>

keep the suggestions coming and keep penning...

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#148357 08/26/05 11:37 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Additional Crossovers...

"V"

Alien Nation

Golden Age Superman.

Get Smart

Highlander

Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew

Garfield

Mighty Mouse

Stuart Little

Tom and Jerry

The Secret of NIMH

Ben, er...nevermind.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#148358 08/26/05 05:51 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Peanuts?

Saved by the Bell?

*hides*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#148359 08/27/05 08:18 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I've always thought that Charmed could fit ok with Baroon Sunday as the bad guy... smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#148360 08/27/05 11:45 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A Superman Ranma crossover.
Vulnerable to magic, check.
Travelled in China, check.
And who would ever suspect Clark Kent of being Supergirl.

#148361 09/02/05 02:54 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've always thought that it might be interesting to do a Pretender Xover. I mean, Sam Lane and Mr. Parker were both played by Harve Presnell. I've seen a LNC/JAG crossover, but Mac was with Mic. (Not as icky as Mac with Webb, but close.) I did a trilogy of crossovers with Forever Knight, and familiarity with the show wasn't really necessary. laugh I've been half considering another one, just for laughs. wink I just can't seem to give up... then again, LaCroix is a stubborn old bas**rd. (he's a 2000 year old Roman General, after all)

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#148362 09/02/05 05:14 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Veronica Mars!

Okay, so it's totally the wrong time frame, but it's a great show. Plus, Veronica reminds me *so* much of what I imagine Lois must have been like as a teenager. And, she's a reporter and a detective (well, the daughter of a private detective, but she does plenty of serious detecting herself). She isn't afraid to speak her mind even when it's unpopular, she stands up for the underdog and the victim, and she often uses unconventional (and borderline illegal) ways of solving her cases. No superhero to help her out, but she still manages. Interestingly enough, she looks a bit like Chloe, the character from Smallville.

#148363 09/03/05 10:21 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Battlestar Galactica!

(Can you tell my mini series/S1 DVDs arrived and I've spent the afternoon watching them?) laugh

Think about it. The fleet finally reaches Earth, the Cylons are hot on their heels. You'd have to do a bit of time tweaking to make the timelines fit, but what the heck, that's easy enough to achieve for any SF writer/buff.

Superman -v- the Cylons...Lois and Starbuck in the same room...the possibilities are endless. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#148364 09/03/05 11:20 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
For crossovers based on who played characters. Once saw a so so story, that was never finished I think. They used the fact that the same actress played Lois lanes mother, Laura Holt's mother from Remington Steele, and Amanda King's mother from Scarecrow & Mrs. King. Which menas that the three of them must be half sisters.

#148365 09/05/05 01:24 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooooo, I'm not a writer, so I can get away with tossing out ideas. laugh

Ones I'd find interesting to read:

Early Edition

Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye

CSI

Scarecrow & Mrs. King (used to watch that some when I could)

And one that would *really* be fun (I challenge someone to make this work!--with all of Tempus' time-traveling, somehow it could wink ):

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman <eg>

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard