Next Thread
Print Thread
#148020 07/15/05 05:06 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Suppose I'm looking for someone in the United States, but I only know their name.

Is there a number I could call, give the person's name, and they could give me their phone number and address? If yes, what is this service called?

Hope I'm being clear.
Thanks,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Usually just "Information" -- 411 for local information from most phones, or <area code>-555-1212 if you want to call information for another state. I think officially it's "Directory Information," but I've never heard anyone actually say the whole thing.

You'll sometimes hear it used in slang the other way around, substituting "411" for the word "information", but not terribly often these days.

A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Oh -- and it's basically no different from looking it up in the telephone book. If a number's unlisted, they'll have it, but they can't give it to you. Depending on the company, they may admit that such a person exists, but will not give you their address or phone number.

A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks a lot smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Columnist
Columnist
You would also need to know what city and state they lived in when you called. If you just called and asked for 'John Smith' there is no way they'd be able to tell you his phone number because there are probably thousands of John Smiths in the US.

Other names might not be as popular, but even if it was a rare name, they would still ask you for the city and state. smile

~Anna

A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks, Anna smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by BanAnna:
You would also need to know what city and state they lived in when you called. If you just called and asked for 'John Smith' there is no way they'd be able to tell you his phone number because there are probably thousands of John Smiths in the US.

Other names might not be as popular, but even if it was a rare name, they would still ask you for the city and state. smile
Actually, no matter what the name you're looking for, they will ask for the location first. They answer the phone: "Information. What city, please?" and have for decades.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
Actually, no matter what the name you're looking for, they will ask for the location first. They answer the phone: "Information. What city, please?" and have for decades.
Yeah, true. I didn't explain that very well in my post. smile

~Anna

Columnist
Columnist
Anna,

I don't know what Internet service you have but mine has a white pages link. I typed in my last name and it brought up a number of people with my last name (but not me).

But then I remembered something I read in PC World and did a little research. Anyway I found the article on their site and this is the link to it. Its about finding people and about them.

[email]www.pcworld.com/41896[/email]

It gives sites to check out. Hope this helps.

Columnist
Columnist
Well I guess I didn't do the setup for the hyper link correctly.

Anyway the link is

www.pcworld.com/41896

A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks, everyone!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard