Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147738 06/08/05 06:31 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
If somebody wanted to get a book about hypnosis, what section of the library would they find it in? Medical science? Magic? Either? Both? Somewhere else entirely? It would be some sort of research book that studies the effects of hypnosis on humans, and the library is in France, if either of those things make any difference.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me! smile

~Anna

#147739 06/08/05 06:54 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'd think it'd be in Psychology.. The University of California at Berkeley seem to have most of theirs in the Education-Psychology department. I can't find where the Los Angeles public library would have theirs in the stacks. Charlotte, NC's online catalog isn't responding. And I can't read the french libraries websites. laugh So I'm going to say Psychology.

Edit: More information, now that I can access the local library.

Most of the hypnosis books there have a call number of 154. I finally realized that's the dewey decimal system. So that number falls under "Subconscious & altered states". New Age Hypnosis is listed as 131, which is Occult methods for achieving well-being. (ya know, this is pretty cool.. wonder what other books my library has...)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#147740 06/10/05 11:34 AM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks for getting back to me Karen!

/me runs off to keep writing... that darn muse just refuses to let me alone!

~Anna

#147741 06/14/05 01:47 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
At my library, most of our hypnosis books are in the 154s, so that's what Kathy said, but then a few are in the 615s, which puts them in with health. Maybe it depends on what position the book takes on hypnosis. One of the ones in the 615 is how to hypnotize yourself with your eyes open. *grin*

An interesting side-note: according to our subject headings under most of the hypnosis books, they list the subject of autogenic training. Assuming that's the field of hypnosis or a more general version of that, but it might be useful to know.

#147742 06/14/05 08:23 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks for the info, Meerkat! laugh

~Anna

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard