Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147572 05/22/05 06:57 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
OK, this isn't L&C related. But it IS related to fanfic. I was visiting forums of a site dedicating to displaying truly awful fanfic, and browsed one forum meant for displaying antidotes, and found this fic.
It's HP, but I don't read HP and still got most everything in it. It's downright hilarious, especially O. wink Anyone who's sick of Mary Sues will love it.

A Mary Sue Alphabet

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#147573 05/22/05 07:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, this is is brilliant, Doranwen! Thanks for posting it - and the author deserves lots of kudos!

My favourites:

D's for Diana
Her story's a wreck!
With no sign of grammar
Or any spell-check
The readers sent email
To justly complain
But all of their efforts
Turned out to be vain
The author replied with:
"Who cares how it's written?
"It's only a fanfic!
"You're mean, and kick kittens!"
laugh rotflol

Oh, and I have to give an honourable mention to this:

But her parents don't worry
To any degree
Because just like their daughter
They're both OOC
/me collapses into a fit of giggles. lol

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#147574 05/23/05 07:39 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Absolutely brilliant. Loved the ones Wendy quoted.

Skimming the reviews were fun, too ... especially the one from the person who admitted to writing Mary Sues, but insisted that "at least mine are in the correct punctuation and spelling isle." wink

Kathy

#147575 05/25/05 02:32 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ugh. What on earth are Mary Sues?

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#147576 05/25/05 03:19 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
A Mary Sue is a fic where the author injects herself into the story, either as herself or someone who is very similar to the way she looks or acts.

As an example, just read Yvonne's hilarious The Ultimate Mary Sue .

The male equivalent is Gary Stu or Marty Stu. I've heard it called both. A story I was involved with is a great example of one of these: Marry in Haste .

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#147577 05/25/05 03:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Huh, is it really just the author injecting themselves into the story? I considered the Mary Sues to be those perfect, incredible characters that save the day, blah blah blah...? I remember Hazel wrote a story...anywho maybe I'm just rambling.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#147578 05/25/05 03:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, it's more who the author would like to be. As this website puts it:

Mary Sue is any original or deeply altered character who represents a slice of his/her creator's own ego; s/he is treasured by his/her creator but only rarely by anyone else. More negatively, a Mary Sue is a primadonna (usually but not always badly-written) who saps life and realism out of every other character around, taking over the plot and bending canon to serve his/her selfish purposes.
From Dr Merlin\'s Guide to FanFiction:
You already know Mary Sue. Mary Sue is the perky, bright, helpful sixteen-year-old ensign who beams about the ship. Everyone on the ship likes Mary Sue, because Mary Sue is good at everything. Mary Sue is an engineer, a doctor in training, a good leader, an excellent cook, and is usually a beautiful singer. Mary Sue often has mental powers that may manifest themselves as telepathy, precognition, or magic. Her past is tragic, more so than any other character on the series. (Many Mary Sues have a backstory that reads like a V.C. Andrews novel. This is a clue.) If Mary Sue is very young, she is often the offspring of one or two already established characters. If she's a little older, she will probably end up sleeping with the author's favorite character. Sometimes, she fills both roles. Her name is often the author's name, be it a net.name, a favored nickname, or the author's middle name (this is seen in the most famous Mary Sue of all time, Wesley Crusher, who was named after Trek creator Eugene Wesley Roddenbery). By the end of the story, Mary Sue will be in bed with the desired character, will have beamed away amid cheers from all the regulars, or will be dead, usually accompanied by heavy mourning from the cast. The reader, on the other hand, will be celebrating.
And this site also hosts the Mary Sue Litmus Test .

Mary Sue and how to avoid her .

And finally, for a bit of fun, how about the Mary Sue Generator? laugh

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#147579 05/25/05 09:20 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yes, Shadow, I once posted a parody Mary Sue:
Clark stared with astonishment at the beautiful young woman before him. True, she was gorgeous enough to stun anybody, but that was not the reason for his current state of stupefaction. Some four inches shorter than his own height of six feet, she was actually standing eye-to-eye with him -- because her dainty, pink-varnished toes were hovering four inches off the ground.

She could fly! She had super-powers like his!

"How...?" he stammered. "I don't -- who are you?"

She smiled softly, her perfect white teeth flashing in the starlight. "I am your twin sister," she said, her musical voice piercing through his veins with an uneasy thrill.

"My twin sister?" Clark repeated. He found that he could not take his eyes off her -- her lovely blond curls that cascaded over her slim shoulders, her cerulean blue eyes that sparkled like the most pristine of seas, the ruby lips curved in a smile that cast an enchantment over any male that ever saw her. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Even though Lois told him that he was okay-looking -- well, maybe a little more than okay-looking -- how could he possibly be the twin of the vision of perfection that stood before him? His stomach squirmed uncomfortably as he realized that his adoration for her was not even remotely brotherly.

"Yes," she affirmed. Her long, silky eyelashes fluttered momentarily, and Clark watched, entranced, as a single tear, the shape and sheen of a perfect diamond, slowly slid down the alabaster skin of her cheek. "It grieves me, Kal-El, that we have never met before."

"Why?" he asked, anguished. "Why was I never permitted to see you? And how did you arrive here on Earth?"

She lowered her eyelids for a moment, wondering what to say. She knew it would be too difficult to explain that she was really his twin sister from an alternate universe, where Lara had died in her teens and Jor-El had come to earth and married Bruce Wayne's twin sister, who had given birth to a girl rather than a boy. She understood that this strange truth was the cause of Clark's feelings of unbridled passion towards her; after all, they were not really brother and sister at all. Yet she, knowing that she was Clark's counterpart from another universe, realized how wrong it would be to requite his love. No, it would be better if he remained ignorant of the warped reality of their existence and continue to believe they were sister and brother.

"The story would be too long to tell," she demurred, her voice lowering to an octave that sent shivers down Clark's spine. "But I have come to help you in your battle for truth, justice, and better fashion sense. "

She paused for a moment, wondering if she ought to mention her amazing spiritual powers, powers that only a female Kryptonian could possess. But with her typical modesty, she decided to remain silent. Why make Clark feel insecure? She would only demonstrate her awesome abilities, so far beyond Clark's own, if circumstances demanded a deus ex machina on her part. The opportunity would most likely arise some time in the very near future, anyway.

"I will be honored to have you on my side," Clark said, humbly and huskily. "But tell me, please -- what is your name?"

"I?" Her smile once again flashed in the starlight. "I am Haz-El."
Blame it on Jenni, who once suggested on IRC that I should use the nick "Haz-El" instead of "Hazel." goofy

But that's only one kind of Mary Sue -- the "adult" version, so to speak. Then you've got this kind, photoshopped by the indomitable Zoomway:

[Linked Image]

That's the kind that brings LnC together, rather than gets in the way. Although she's doing a pretty good job of getting in the way in that pic, isn't she? goofy Her backstory will often include a rewriting of canon that allows her to have helped one of the main characters do something crucial in the past. The real litmus test for Mary Sue, I think, boils down to this: if the author's OC (that's original character) trumps the regular characters at every turn, and if the regular characters are either OOC (out of character) to make the OC look good or simply stupid for the same reason, you've got yourself a Mary Sue. smile

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#147580 05/26/05 01:02 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
"I will be honored to have you on my side," Clark said, humbly and huskily. "But tell me, please -- what is your name?"

"I?" Her smile once again flashed in the starlight. "I am Haz-El."
LOL, Hazel! rotflol

Oh god - I wrote a Mary Sue too, didn't I? Only, I didn't realize it at the time. At least I can blame it all on LabRat. wink

Thanks for the various links, Doranwen, RL and Wendy. This is very amusing and very educational reading! laugh

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#147581 05/26/05 07:33 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The real litmus test for Mary Sue, I think, boils down to this: if the author's OC (that's original character) trumps the regular characters at every turn, and if the regular characters are either OOC (out of character) to make the OC look good or simply stupid for the same reason, you've got yourself a Mary Sue.
My word, I know people have been calling her a Mary Sue for several seasons, but I didn't realize until I read this just how "Mary Sue" Lana on Smallville really is. Of course that really does make one wonder why the creators of the series won't acknowledge what they've been doing with her all along.

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#147582 05/29/05 11:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I was pointed at this story for a lovely little checklist of what goes into a Mary Sue. Read it. Please. goofy

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#147583 05/30/05 12:24 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, that is just priceless. Just loved how cool and collected Chloe was as she went about dealing with the problem. Vaccum-bag heaven. ROTFL!

laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#147584 05/30/05 04:27 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Yep, Mary Sue's are really devilish creatures laugh Good thing Chloe found a way to get rid of Marythaenne-what's-her-name.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#147585 05/30/05 12:48 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, Hazel, thank you for that link! That was absolutely fabulous.

Chloe has always been my favorite, and that was just the perfect Mary Sue must die story! LOL!!

Kathy

#147586 05/30/05 01:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol
Oh, that was hilarious. Chloe's my new hero.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#147587 06/01/05 01:29 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
LOL!! I think I read that--a long time ago. Should have saved it then, lol. Priceless!

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#147588 06/05/05 06:30 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
E is for Elwen
An elf in her glory!
Who seems unware
That she's in the wrong story
Like all of her people
She's comely and wise
The hardest heart melts
At her come-hither eyes
But how did she get here?
There aren't any clues
And the author won't tell
'Til she gets more reviews
LOL, I get so tired of this kind of Sue.

O for Ophelia
The evil guy's daughter
Her life is so awful
Her tears flow like water
Her husband's been chosen
By father and mother
But her heart already
Belongs to another
Oh woe! And oh angst!
Yeah, it's piled on thick
And most of the readers
Are gonna be sick
And this one...

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard