Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147487 05/12/05 05:01 AM
Tlat Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hi, I have this crazy idea for a story and I need some information.

If the Superman clone were to father a child what would Clark (Superman) Kent's relationship be to that child?

Since the DNA was originally Clark's would he be able to stake a claim for the child? Or would he have no claim since technically he is not the father? help TLAT

~ It was because she'd been speechless. Her. Lois Lane.
Supreme Babbler. Had been speechless. ~
Reluctantly Engaged)
#147488 05/12/05 05:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Technically, he could be sued for paternity! Of course, that would only stand up until it was proven that there was frog DNA involved.

On the other hand, he could claim to be the child's father, but that would be lying and Clark hates telling lies.

I imagine that he would somehow feel obligated to help out as he could, especially if the child starts to develop powers.

He could claim to be an uncle...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#147489 05/12/05 05:51 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
The baby would have the same relation to Clark that any child of an identical twin would have to his father or mother's twin. It would be a nephew or niece, and Clark would be its uncle.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#147490 05/12/05 05:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Genetically speaking, a clone is most like an identical twin brother. So, Clark would basically be the kid's uncle, more or less.

Now, being the kid's "uncle" might grant him some status in a custody claim, but it would be up to the individual judge how to interpret the strength of that claim.

Now, the fact that you'd have an interested father (and one who would later be given top rating by an adoption screener) would be a help. On the other hand, assuming this is Season One we're talking about here, Clark would be a single father, which would count against him.

Not sure how things would play out if it was Superman asking. On the one hand, we'd clearly be talking about a child with rather unique needs, and we'd also be talking about Superman, international paragon of virtue and responsibility and all that good stuff. On the other hand, Superman is also single, has a very dangerous job, no known source of income, no known place of residence, no known family...

As for how he'd react... I think it would be pretty wierd for him, to say the least. He'd be happy to know that he is genetically compatible with earthlings, and I think on some level he'd enjoy having a child. It's probably fair to say, though, that the circumstances would be less than ideal. Not at like him planning to have a baby with his wife. Still, I can definitely see Clark quickly growing attached to the kid.

He'd also be able to count on help and support from his parents, of course, so that would make things somewhat easier.

Does that about answer your questions?

Paul, flashing back to an old sig of his:

"Boba, I am your father. Or, well, a clone of your father, which makes me more of an uncle. Then again, we're the same generation, so maybe more of a brother, or, I guess, half-brother.... Anyway, we're family, so please, don't shoot me!" - Last words of an uncounted number of stormtroopers

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#147491 05/12/05 06:43 AM
Tlat Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thanks

That helps a lot. I needed to be able to alleviate some fears and also get into the mind of Clark. This situation is more complicated than just simple paternity and I needed to know from what angle to attack.

TLAT

Reluctantly Engaged)
#147492 05/16/05 06:47 PM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
If Clark did try to get custody of the child, then he would be doing that as an uncle (correct?) the only question is, is the father of the child known (Superman clone), and if it is, then wouldn't Clark's identity be in jeopardy if he took a test to prove he is blood related to the child...or am I reading too much into this?

Dear Aquaman, Tell all the fishes Merry Christmas
Cassandra Cain and Tim Drake
A Very Tim and Cassie Christmas
#147493 05/17/05 01:37 AM
Tlat Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
At this point, in my head anyway, Clark has no idea the kid exist at all. There is only one person I am certain of who knows of the child paternity and they know how important it is to keep it secret.

My problem arose in this person's mind when they were trying to protect this child from those who would want to exploit him/her. This person is also worried about what test might revel about the child. Or who might have access to this information.

I am still in the early stages and my muse likes to jump from idea to idea. That muse also seems stuck on BatP and HoL.

TLAT (Is there an obedience school for muses. mecry Sign me up Today!)

Reluctantly Engaged)
#147494 05/17/05 06:07 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
But one thing confuses me here, Tlat... where's the clone? If he's the father, why is Clark getting involved at all? confused

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#147495 05/17/05 06:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was assuming the clone referenced was the one from Vatman, who died shortly after Clark learned of his existence.

I'm sure there are plenty of other possibilities, but just because the clone was alive to father a child doesn't mean he'll still be around when Clark finds out.

As for why Clark would get involved, I think he'd feel some sort of connection/responsibility. The kid would be family. The only other person on the planet with a genetic relation. I can't see Clark not being interested in a child like that.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#147496 05/17/05 09:54 PM
Tlat Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I was assuming the clone referenced was the one from Vatman, who died shortly after Clark learned of his existence.

I'm sure there are plenty of other possibilities, but just because the clone was alive to father a child doesn't mean he'll still be around when Clark finds out.

As for why Clark would get involved, I think he'd feel some sort of connection/responsibility. The kid would be family. The only other person on the planet with a genetic relation. I can't see Clark not being interested in a child like that.

Paul
The clone I was referring to was the one in Vatman. I was thinking that while in Luthor's possession all types of experiments might have been performed on him before he died. Checking fertility was one. Then one scientist took it further and decided to try to actually conceive a child. No one thinking it possible because of the frog DNA but she fixes that problem. Then things happen that is where Clark as Superman may come into place.

Like Paul mentioned being his only blood relation he feels a duty to this child. Eventually that is.

TLAT

Reluctantly Engaged)
#147497 05/18/05 12:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Y'know, I remember Lex saying that Vatman wasn't supposed to be interested in women -- but if some female researcher was playing around with him on the sly, that could explain his new awareness of the opposite sex.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard