Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146964 03/19/05 05:45 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Since you guys seem to know everything, I figure I'll try asking this.

Uncut diamonds. Very good quality. How many pounds and how big a pile would make up fifty million dollars?

What if I have the diamonds cut first - perfectly cut since the job would be done by Superman. How many pounds and how big a pile would make up fifty million dollars?

[I don't need exact amounts - but I don't want to make a fool of myself with the weight or the amount of space it would take up. So any ideas would be appreciated]

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Columnist
Columnist
I think a lot of variables go in here. You say good quality but there are many factors. Color, clarity, flaws. I also think it has more value after it is cut but not sure. Also the size of the stone makes a difference in the price. If you are talking about a rare color, with few flaws that is large (ie the Hope Diamond) I think you would only need 1 or 2 stones and they wouldn't way pounds.

Columnist
Columnist
Okay I did some research on the web on diamonds. I could only find "good" not outstanding. A good grade "D" which is the best color - true color/clear at 3.01 carats was $57,690.86. So basing it on this diamond which is good not outstanding and the price does go up for the size of the diamond. I came up with your needing 2508.36 carats worth of diamonds. Now a carat is 1/5 of a gram and a gram is .035 ounces. So for $50 million in cut good quality not outstanding you would need a little over a pound. So for outstanding diamonds it would be less. Now if it was for one of the colored diamonds I couldn't find prices on that so don't know. Hope this helps. smile1

PS some of what determines a diamonds worth is carat, clarity, color, cut.

MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
That helps a lot, kmar. A pound of diamonds works for me. I assume that is properly cut diamonds since a diamond has to be cut right to make it valuable. I wonder how big a package that would make.

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Diamond has a density of around 3.5 grams per cubic centimetre, so your 500-odd grams of diamond would occupy about 140 cc (millilitres). Obviously there'd be some air in the package, too, but I think you can assume no more than 200 ml in total, or 6 to 7 fluid ounces. Under a cupful, definitely.

Mere smile

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, Mere. Who would have thought a cup of diamonds would be so valuable? (now if only I could think of a way to get a cup full of diamonds, I'd be set for life laugh )

wave

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard