Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146558 02/14/05 10:13 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
In my Eternal Search for the Organized Mind, I put together some notional ideas of Venn Diagrams for the Kerth Categories. Some may want to just throw their hands up now, wink but others may find this intersting, and maybe even helpful.

[Linked Image]

For those not used to these things, the amount of overlap between the circles indicates the amount of common ground of A and B plot. They are not to be taken too literally, but are notional. A story 50% A and 50% B would have the circles overlap each other. For example, for Best Relationship, the second group is all B with a little A peeking out. The diagram is changed. I also added a B alone to Holiday and Special Occasions.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#146559 02/14/05 11:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting, Artemis!

One quibble, though: A-plot in Holiday/Special Occasion? I tend to see that as a category where stories are usually WAFFy, either a PWP puppies-and-kittens Christmas-tree-type story or a WAFFy (perhaps with a mild amount of angst) relationship story. Certainly mainly fluff. wink I don't think it ever occurred to me that an A-plot would be present at all, let alone essential... confused

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#146560 02/14/05 01:33 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Very interesting, Artemis!

I agree with Wendy. When I think of holiday/special occasion stories, I generally think of pure, sickeningly sweet, completely waffy stories. I wouldn't consider an A plot to be at all essential in any way in these stories. I'd almost rather *not* have an A plot at all.

- Laura (avid hater of all things A plot)

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#146561 02/14/05 01:48 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful, Artemis! You've really summed up my interpretation of the Kerth categories.

Now, how in the world did you make these and post them?

smile

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#146562 02/14/05 01:53 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
May I just say ...

I.
Love.
This.
Fandom.

Artemis, I bow down before you. Just the fact that you spent time doing this makes you my hero. clap

Kathy

#146563 02/14/05 04:18 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ditto Kathy. smile1

Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
#146564 02/14/05 06:13 PM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow, thank you all! To answer questions:
1. A plot in Holiday/Special Occasion. To me, there is an A plot by definition because it involves a specific Holiday. The author must say enough to let us know it is Valentine's Day, Christmas, or Groundhog Day. It may have mostly Waffy feelings, but the plot has to involve some detail of the Holiday. Getting presents for Valentine's Day, buying a tree at Christmas. That's enough for me to call it an A-plot, and yeah, it's just a little bit of one. So call it the tiny motor that propels the story forward. And I understand I differ from some on my interpretation of an A-plot here.
2. How did I do this? On Powerpoint, my favorite graphics program. It's part of Microsoft Office for Windows and I use it a lot. The little circles are one of the "Autoshapes". I create the masters on top and then duplicate them throughout. Then there's tricks on lining stuff up, etc. I print it, then scan it and post it to folcsite. I did Nan's Superman's geneology for her Home stories the same way.
I'll add the all B-plot symbol for Best Drama.
cool
Artemis

#146565 02/14/05 10:36 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Artemis wrote:
In my Eternal Search for the Organized Mind, I put together some notional ideas of Venn Diagrams for the Kerth Categories.
Now, one part of me is going: wave

JM

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
#146566 02/15/05 01:34 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A plot in Holiday/Special Occasion. To me, there is an A plot by definition because it involves a specific Holiday. The author must say enough to let us know it is Valentine's Day, Christmas, or Groundhog Day. It may have mostly Waffy feelings, but the plot has to involve some detail of the Holiday. Getting presents for Valentine's Day, buying a tree at Christmas. That's enough for me to call it an A-plot, and yeah, it's just a little bit of one. So call it the tiny motor that propels the story forward. And I understand I differ from some on my interpretation of an A-plot here.
I see where you're coming from, Artemis, but that's not an A-plot, surely? It's simply scene-setting, isn't it? In the same way as Kathy's Momentum II - an entirely B-plot story - includes scene-setting in that Lois and Clark are going to the mountains on a skiing holiday?

I haven't been involved in the discussion on the definition of an A-plot, in this folder and on the poll thread, but as I understand it an A-plot is considered to be the action/mystery/suspenseful/dramatic/dangerous plot in the story or episode - the catching the bad guys, or finding out what's making Clark sick, or dealing with the trauma of Lois's attack plot. That's why I was so surprised to see A-plot included as essential in that category.

Otherwise, fascinating!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#146567 02/15/05 01:59 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Artemis, I am in awe. And, to quote Kathy:
I.
Love.
This.
Fandom.
I did wonder about the lack of C and U in the mostly WAFFy stories and comedies. Surely C is automatic with *any* story that uses elements from the show? Unless C specifically means ep adaptation rather than reference to ep elements...?

Regarding the Holiday/SO, I would agree with your diagram there, but not with your reasoning for it. laugh Like Wendy, I don't equal setting with A-plot. But unlike Laura, I *don't* think that H/SO is only purely WAFFy. This year specifically includes two alt stories that are definitely H/SO and definitely include an A-plot, for example. I don't care much for H/SO in the first place, so I'm not the best judge of the category; wink but I agree with your diagram as you've designed it, Artemis.

Venn diagrams in LnC... ~happy sigh~ I really do love this fandom. smile

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#146568 02/15/05 03:42 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Wow Artemis, this is really cool and useful - now, I'm a bit less confused by all the Kerth categories.

The mathematician in me needs to point out a venn diagram with 4 components looks like this:
[Linked Image]
May be this will be useful for the diagrams in the Best Drama and Best Elseworld categories.

Cheers,
Simba (who loves Venn diagrams)

Check out my social-networking game I created just for FoLCs: http://folc.mindkin.com
#146569 02/15/05 06:39 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi JM. Yes, I'm OCD too wink
LOL Simba. That is one colorful Venn diagram. However my humble Powerpoint doesn't do it that way. I grew up in a very 2D world and as long as the circles intersect each other, all is well in the world.
I added B only to Holiday/Special Occasion. (The new diagram simply replaced the old, so look at it again.) Yeah, I guess you could just say "Lois didn't like Christmas" and that would be the scene setting. But like Hazel said:
I *don't* think that H/SO is only purely WAFFy. This year specifically includes two alt stories that are definitely H/SO and definitely include an A-plot, for example.
I loved Momentum II, but I consider the whole skiing thing an A-plot. There were no bad guys, but Lois and Clark interacted with the world and I learned something about skiing.
I guess some would think the "World Tour" story had no A-plot because it was simply about Lois and Clark enjoying places in the world. But I considered it did. Not a lot of A, but some anyway. That's why I was surprised Yvonne said she couldn't write A plots, because I think she has. Some of her settings are beyond complex and they definitely included bad guys.
Hazel said:
I did wonder about the lack of C and U in the mostly WAFFy stories and comedies. Surely C is automatic with *any* story that uses elements from the show? Unless C specifically means ep adaptation rather than reference to ep elements...?
My take on that is that the story must involve things from specific episodes to have a C-element. That is clear in the Best Episode Adaptation. In other cases where is a character's characteristic (Lois doesn't cook, has fear of commitment, etc) it's not a specific C-element. But yes, there certainly could be Christmas in an alt-universe (Nan just wrote one). But I didn't include it in H/SO because it's not required to be there.
But, as I said, this is notional. Not all permutations are covered. All categories would look like Simba's picture and there would be no information to help us think of the differences.
I got more feedback than I thought I would and thank you very much!
cool
Artemis smile1 smile1 smile1 sloppy

#146570 02/15/05 03:36 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I am totally saving this for the next time some student asks me how science/math will help them in life! laugh

Also, is it just me, or with the new additions does the overall image look a bit like the upraised fist statue from "Meet John Doe"?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#146571 02/15/05 04:06 PM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hmmm. I didn't notice that, Rivka, but it does! But I swear I'm not John Doe!
cool
Artemis huh

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard