Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#146024 12/22/04 10:31 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Some time ago, we had a series of 'guess the fanfic' quizzes on the boards, based on kisses (Guess the Smoochie), opening lines (Guess the Gluechie) and revelations (Guess the Cluechie). goofy All titles are courtesy of Pam Jernigan, by the way. goofy

Anyway, there've been more new stories and more new members since those quizzes were last running, so I thought I'd try resurrecting at least one of them. Here's how it works. I'll paste a short extract from a revelation scene. You have to guess the story and author - first person to get it right posts the next cluechie. wink Googling isn't banned, precisely, but it's more fun to guess without it, isn't it? goofy

So, here goes!

And now she knew why his uncovered eyes looked at once so familiar and so strange. Because she'd seen them a hundred times before, but never - except in daydreams and nighttime fantasies - filled with warm emotion. And she'd never seen them on her partner's face.

Except it had always been her partner's face.

She shivered. Her eyes travelled to his hair. Yes, flatten that and slick it back, and his whole face would look different.

Her eyes slid downwards, past the sensuous mouth that so recently... No. Down to the strong neck and the broad, muscular chest. Cover that with blue spandex, add a red cape...

Her hands were still resting on his shoulders. His naked shoulders. She snatched them away, trembling, and tried to wrap her arms around herself.

He caught one hand, carried it to his lips. "Lois..."

"Omigod," she whimpered, shutting her eyes tightly, "I was seducing Superman!" What must he think of her?
Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
After trying google, and failing miserably, I decided to think about it for a little bit. I knew it sounded like an author I was pretty familiar with. And after checking her most recent story -- Mere's That Honeymoon Feeling .

This one is really easy, but it from a story that I absolutely love laugh .

Thank God this moment, which was inevitable and always had been,
whether or not he'd ever taken on the persona of Superman, had been
delayed this long. Long enough for him to meet her, to love her, to
have her love him. To have raised a family. To have seen his parents
into their graves contented late into their years.

Thank God he'd had as long as he had as Clark Kent, a man he loved. A
man he loved being. A man he would miss.

But a man whose time was over.

He spun. The cameras rolled. There were shouts and exclamations from
all corners of the ballroom before a profound quiet fell.
- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh, I adore this moment! And this story!!! It's CC Aiken's When The World Finds Out.

Okay, here we go again:

"Don't say never. There's something I haven't told you. I've wanted to for weeks ... months. But I couldn't ... as long as you were going to marry Luthor."

She bit her lip. "If it was something that Lex could have used to hurt you, you were probably right."

"He could have," Clark said, slowly. "He definitely could have. There's no question of that. I should have told you afterwards, though." He pushed himself shakily up on his elbow again and raised his free hand to remove his glasses. "Luthor lured me to the basement of Lex Tower -- his wine cellar. He wanted me to use my influence to convince Clark Kent to attend your wedding. He couldn't know, of course, that he was speaking to Clark. I told him I wouldn't do it -- that I'd use every power at my disposal to stop the wedding. That's when he told me that he had no more use for me. He dropped the cage over me. The bars were coated with Kryptonite, and I couldn't get away. I was there for over a day. I thought I was going to die there." He raised his face to let her look him directly in the eyes. "Look at me, Lois. Tell me who you see."

It was all falling into place.

Lois stared at her partner's naked face, unmasked by the horn-rimmed glasses. In the past week she had discovered that many of the things she thought she knew weren't true at all. She
shouldn't have been surprised.

Superman's face. Superman.
Guess away!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Okay, I will answer again. I know this one, too. Nan's Wedding Consequences

Here's the next one --

Omigod! She looked up at Clark and he was taking his
glasses off.

She lifted a hand up to touch his face. "Clark. Superman."
Her fingers were all over his face and her mind was far
away - remembering and putting all the pieces together.

"Yes, Lois. I'm Superman," Clark answered matter-of-factly.
Good Luck!!

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That was Yesterday's Rose by Missy.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, Lois."

"What?"

"The reason I keep running off. It's... I'm..."

"You're afraid of me, of US, aren't you?"

"What? No! It's not that! It's not that at all! God, Lois!
Nothing could be further from the truth."

"Then, what is it?"

Clark took a deep breath. Of all the things he'd faced in
his life- from moving out of Kansas to swallowing high
explosives- this was the hardest. "I'm Superman."

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ooh!! I know, I know!!! Actually, I cheated and googled just out of curiousity, and was bullied into posting a new one since I knew. wink

This one was Revolving Revelations by Paul-Gabriel Wiener, which I had to read, since I hadn't. Very cute story and not too long... so go read it!!!

So here's the new one:

"Clark!" she screeched.

"Lois, I can explain-" he began, not really all that aware
of what he was saying.

"You can - you can explain? You just waltz in from the
*ceiling*, and you can *explain*?"

"It's not like it looks," he said lamely.
Good luck!

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm horrible with this type of stuff, but I am enjoying reading this thread. Thanks for starting it! It reminded me of one story and I went back and read it and it showed me a new one to read. Thanks!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This one is For Better or For Worse by Jessi Mounts. smile1

Here's the next one. goofy
“Just watch.” And he whirled, his heart in his mouth.

When he slowed, he realised that Lois was swaying. He swept out an arm and caught her, tugging her into his arms again.

For about the first time since he’d known her, Lois Lane was speechless.
Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh! Oh! I know this one! This is Wendy's fantastic The Dark Side of Christmas . /me jumps up and down at having actually guessed one right <g>

Here's your new cluechie:

"Lois, I'm Superman," Clark responded.

Lois almost burst out laughing. He had just taken lying to an all new level. Everyone knew that when you lied, you should at least attempt to make the lie believable - something that couldn't be disproved - but Clark... It suddenly occurred to Lois that she had never seen Clark without his glasses before - not even when they'd made love earlier. When she'd tried to remove them, he'd stopped her - making a comment about wanting to be able to see her. But in spite of never having seen him without his glasses, he looked... familiar somehow. In fact, he looked a lot like... She gasped.

"You want to know where I was tonight," Clark continued rising to his feet and making his way to the television. He turned it on and switched the channel to LNN.
Julie cool

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wendy, Why don't you do the Killchie (Killing Lex scenes?)

I am strong. I will survive. wink

MDL. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
The answer to Julie's cluechie is
ML Thompson's First Comes Marriage

Okay, now I'll go away and find one for you to solve. Be back soon!

gerry

I'm back.

"I do have a... a genetic condition, I think you called it. It's
not quite what you thought, though. I'm... not human. I don't
know how I managed to get you pregnant, because I shouldn't be
genetically compatible with humans."

He was doing it again. This time the whirling in her head was
worse than ever.

"Clark... you look human to me. What do you mean, 'not human'?"

He gave a humourless chuckle. "'All the parts of a man.' Lois,
I come from another planet. Called -"

"Krypton." She nodded, clutched at her head as the room swayed
in response. All the blood seemed to have left her body.

It made no sense.

She shut her eyes.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Heh, I was just re-reading this one yesterday... Meredith's "Rest and Reproduction" <g>

She nodded. "Where did you get this? Where's Clark? Is he all right?" The intensity of her whisper made echoes bounce around the mine again. A little rain of gravel answered it.

Superman bit his lip and Lois felt her heart sink. "He's all right! Say he's all right, Superman!" Appalled, she felt the prickle of tears in her eyes and a sudden ache in her throat. Clark couldn't be hurt--or-- She couldn't even bring herself to think the word. "Please!"

He put a cautioning hand on her wrist to stem the flood of words. "Shh! He's all right, Lois. I promise."

The relief was almost overwhelming, and she felt the tears spill over. She wiped them away, fiercely trying to regain her self-control. "Where *is* he?"

"Here." The word was so low she wasn't sure she heard it correctly.

"What?"

"He's here, Lois. *I'm* Clark."
PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I had to think about it for a few minutes, but then I remembered. It's Nan Smith's Mystery. Good choice!

Okay, here's a new one:

"I don't know what to do now, Mom. I've made Lois look like a fool and when she finds out, she'll never forgive me. She'll never believe that I screwed up this badly because I love her, and I'm jealous of myself."

Huh? Lois rewound the tape a bit to listen to this part of the conversation again. What did he mean, jealous of himself? And how had he made her look like a fool?

"I don't know, Mom. You don't know Lois like I do. I don't know how in the world I could ever tell her now. I should never have done it. She was just supposed to lose interest in Superman, but I didn't mean to make an idiot out of her. Oh, God, I wish I'd never invented Superman!"

What? He wished he'd never what?? He didn't invent Superman. He couldn't invent Superman. Superman was a person. Superman was... Superman was... a disguise. Superman was a man with insecurities. Superman was ... Clark Kent. Lois sat frozen as the tape played on.
Have at it! laugh

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I know it! I know it! hyper
This is "The spying game" by Irene Dutch!

Now an easy one:
She refilled the glass, deciding to take it with her back to bed, turned, allowed herself a glance at Clark - and nearly dropped the glass and had to grip it.
Clark was not on the couch. He was over it. Hovering. Floating. Maybe two feet higher than the couch surface, just a bit higher than the couch back. The robe had slipped off him and was lying crumpled on the floor. His back was to her but she could tell he was clutching his pillow. He floated there as though he might actually have been lying on a bed, his legs drawn up a bit, though his back appeared straight, reminding her of one of those orthopedic mattress commercials.
Not wanting to take her eyes off him, she eased forward until she could sense the table and set the glass down there so silently a tomb would envied her.
I can't just *stand* here, I have to *do* something about this... My camera, yes!
Hey, this is fun!

Simona smile

K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ooh!! I had to double check that I was right, and I was. laugh

Dawning by Debby Stark. This was one of the first fics I ever read and it remains a favorite. smile

Okay... I'll be back...

back laugh

Clark took and released a deep breath, gathering up all of his nerve.
"Ok, here goes. Lois, for most of the time you've known me ... most
of the time I've lived in Metropolis ... I've led a double life."

Lois looked confused, then nervous. "You're not a criminal, are
you?" she squeaked.

Clark almost laughed. "No, nothing like that."

Lois's eyes narrowed. "Damn it, you're married!! I *knew* you were
too good to be true!"

Clark rolled his eyes. "No! Lois, I'm not married. And I'm not
gay, either," he hurried to add, seeing her mouth open once more. He
called it right -- she closed her mouth quickly, looking a little
embarrassed.

"Ok, Clark, then what is it?"

"Lois, I think the only way to tell you this is just to come out and
say it." He hesitated for a moment. "I'm ... Superman."

A full range of emotions played out on Lois's face right before
Clark's eyes. First, she looked at him like he was crazy, then,
realizing he was serious, she blinked rapidly as she let herself
consider the possibility. Finally, she simply stared, amazed,
studying his face.

Clark took off his glasses. "Does this help?" he asked.

It did. "Oh ... my ... God," Lois whispered slowly. She was
obviously working hard to wrap her mind around this fact, but it was
a losing battle. She looked at him, stunned. "But you can't be.
Superman is from--"

"Krypton," Clark stated quietly. "I was born on Krypton."
It may be pretty easy, but it's one of my favorite stories. smile

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
OH! OH! I know another one! hyper See, Sara, I told you I'd get it!!

This is Kathy Brown and Demi's wonderful When Friends Become Lovers .

Here's your next cluechie:

What was he doing? He was spinning, whirling himself around right in front of her. But why? What on earth was he...?

And then she began to see traces of blue and red, and a tiny bit of yellow, in the whirling dervish which stood before her, and she caught her breath in shock.

Those colours - or the precise shade of those colours - were very familiar to her. And suddenly it all made sense.

Clark's disappearances. His excuses and inability to explain himself. The anxious looks he got before running off. Just how he'd managed to do so many of the weird things he did - and how he always seemed to know when the bad guys were coming. Why he was never around, anyway, when danger struck.

And why Superman was never to be seen other than in an emergency situation, other than for a brief minute or two.

Two guises... one man.

One Super man.

And now he was standing in front of her, arms folded across his chest in the familiar pose... but he was watching her with a strangely uncertain expression on his face. And she realised that he was anxious about what her reaction would be.
Good luck!

Julie cool

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1

It happened at that moment. The neon sign appeared in brilliant rainbow colors of light, pointing to the simple combination of wood frames and glass. The connection was confirmed, and like
electricity meeting with metal, the energy created jolted her to her core. She allowed the words to meet, consummate and procreate. There was no blood. Superman didn't bleed. There was
no blood because Superman didn't bleed. Clark hadn't bled. Clark hadn't bled because Clark was Superman. Clark was Superman. And if Clark was Superman, Clark couldn't be killed by mere bullets. Clark couldn't be dead. Clark was alive.
Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, I know! That's Lynn's Save Me, Superman .

Here's the next one:

Her gaze shifted to the window, her attention caught by something outside. No, some*one* outside.

A face. A very familiar face, but in profile.

A strong jaw, firm chin, high forehead, lips turned up at the corners slightly as they always did when he was thinking about something pleasant...

Superman was outside.

But what was Superman doing outside her apartment window? Why didn't he come in? Why was he just hovering there, watching her and Clark?

She moved, opened her mouth, about to say his name. "Su -"

And the image moved. The *reflection* moved.

And she realised that that was all it had been. A reflection.

Clark's reflection.

He turned to face her, and the clues all dropped into place.
Good luck!

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, that's my birthday story! smile smile smile " A Year Ago Today ", by Wendy and Kaethel.

Okay, here's the next one:

She opened her eyes and found herself staring across the desks, yet again, at Clark Kent. He smiled at her, then fanned his keyboard, which appeared to be smoking slightly. She frowned.

Clark had gotten a haircut last night, too. What was it with men? Did they all time their haircuts? Or maybe they used the same barber.

Lois laughed aloud, earning some strange looks and a “cuckoo” symbol from Cat.

The same barber. That was ridiculous. Although they *had* both gotten exactly the same hairc--

Lois sat up fast. Clark and Superman... they’d both had pretty much the same haircuts yesterday... She shuffled through the papers on her desk, pulling out a picture of Superman from a few days ago.
PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Woohoo! It's one of the haircut stories! Sarah Luddy's A Little Off The Top. smile And I can't find it on the Archive to add a link! Sarah, why isn't it on the Archive??? wildguy

And here's a new one:

"I've looked. Every inch and more than once. Below Metropolis, all those lead pipes, well, that was my last reasonable hope."

"And it's come up empty. So now what?"

Clark laughed an empty laugh. "So now I go back to the Daily Planet, sit at my desk, picture her
waltzing in with the story of the century. 'The Year I Spent Invisible' by Lois Lane, something like that."

Henderson looked at Superman for a long time. Long enough for the silence to bring the superhero back from his own thoughts.

Their eyes met.

"Oh." Superman said. "Oh..."
Have fun!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard