Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145996 12/19/04 06:23 AM
magical Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Just a little something I am researching for a fic. Let's say a fanfic takes place right after the "almost first date", but before the actual first date. If Lois and Clark were to do some karaoke, what song do you think Lois would sing? What about Clark?

They are well aware of the increased sexual tension between them, but are not talking about it (of course). So what do you think? Your replies will be very appreciated. wink

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
Lois: "What are you, a fortune cookie?"
#145997 12/19/04 07:46 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Clark would definitely sing "She" from Elvis Costello

Lois... that would depend in what level of relationship they were in. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#145998 12/19/04 08:12 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Neither, Lois and Clark have too much respect for musicians who earn their living through music to promote and support something as evil as karaoke. In fact she'd probably be in the forfront to boycott those club owners too cheap to hire real musicians and use karaoke as a substitute for 'live music'.

Lois can sing, but I think, except for one well-done fic, it's considered the accepted that Clark can't carrry a tune in a very large bucket.

Tank (who thinks that karaoke should be legislated against but if Lois or Clark did such a despicable thing they'd probably choose an old standard as Lois did in IGACOY)

#145999 12/19/04 09:31 AM
magical Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Tank: Interesting thoughts!

Fortunately for Clark, and his audience, karaoke is not about being able to carry a tune (see Cameron Diaz in "My Best Friend's Wedding" singing "I Don't Know What to Do With Myself", and doing a horrible job).

Anyway, Clark has to sing a song, regardless of his skill. And just because other authors have said he can't carry a tune doesn't make it true. To each his own.

But again, Tank, thanks for your POV.

And MadDog - never heard that song but I'm gonna go look it up!

Clark: "Lois, you know, I really hope someday that you learn, that sometimes what it seems like people are doing isn't what they're really doing."
#146000 12/19/04 12:29 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Magical...

My favorite subjects... karaoke and L&C! razz I'll come back with more later. laugh

As for Clark singing... hmmm... well you did say it wasn't about him singing well... *cringe* <g>... I know I can think of some... just not right now. frown

Sara (who's currently hiding from Tank, as karaoke is her favorite pasttime goofy )

Edit: I actually wrote a fic something like this called Sometimes . I'm not too impressed with it myself, but I guess it was mostly for fun and the idea wouldn't leave my mind until it was written. :rolleyes: I can't wait to see this story, Magical! smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#146001 12/19/04 01:43 PM
magical Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Skfolc:

Edit: I actually wrote a fic something like this called Sometimes . I'm not too impressed with it myself, but I guess it was mostly for fun and the idea wouldn't leave my mind until it was written. :rolleyes:

Oh great Skfolc! So you can be my research assistant for this story! smile1

I have limited karaoke experience, and even though it's only a minor part of the story, I want to get it right. And thank for your song suggestions.

Any more out there?

#146002 12/19/04 10:38 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I'm a self confessed Elvis Presley fan and I absolutely can't resist the idea of Clark singing 'Can't Help Falling in Love' or 'Teddy Bear' the first one because it's really sweet and the second well it's a cute song. Another song Clark could sing would be 'You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine' off of the Michael Buble Album well the title says it all.

As for Lois I agree with Sometimes (although I cringe at the thought of listening to Britney Spears) but my favourite/s would be 'Before I Fall in Love' and 'All Tied up in You' both by Coco Lee.

EDIT:
As for karaoke experiences if you call listening to a bunch of (sober) guys singing a really off key version of 'YMCA' and stuff by The Platters that then I've been but mostly we stuck to songs like Mariah Carey's 'Hero', Tricia Yearwood's 'How Do I Live' and 'Sometimes When We Touch' by well whoever has sang it!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#146003 12/20/04 03:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hrm. Following the Elvis theme, how about "Can't help falling in love" for Clark, or "Forever and Ever, Amen" by.. hold on.. Randy Travis. I don't know about Lois, it probably depends on the time frame. "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor? laugh

BTW, if you're sticking with the show's timeframe, Britney Spears wouldn't be around. At that time, she was still on the New Mickey Mouse Club. Though I do have a rendition of "Can't Help Falling In Love" by her and the rest of the cast...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#146004 12/20/04 05:05 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi! wave

Awesome! I love karaoke, I think it's so cool that you're writing a fic about something like this because I totally think it's a fun thing to do on a date. I mean, dinner+dancing+movie can get pretty dry after the 30th time...unless, of course, Clark takes Lois to a different country every time, which he can't do unless if she knows that he's Superman.

Tangent! Sorry! blush Anyway, I agree with the "Sometimes" idea because it describes Lois' attitude about relationships so well (especially with Clark, since it's going so well), but I can also see her singing Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". I mean, it's THE classical karaoke song, and isn't Lois all about fighting and trying to survive? Some other songs with this theme are Destiny's Child's "Survivor" and Christina Aguilera's "Fighter".

But, if this is set during (or close to) a holiday like Christmas or Valentine's Day, I think Lois would be singing Marilyn Monroe, like "Santa Baby" or "I Wanna Be Loved By You".

As for Clark...I'm not as sure, but I'm thinking something cheesy along the lines of Backstreet Boys' "I'll Never Break Your Heart" or Boyz II Men's "On Bended Knee" OR All for One's "I Swear". Just something cheesy and romantic, him telling Lois that he loves her SO, SO much and that he'd never break her heart, you know?

Hope this helps!

Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
#146005 12/20/04 06:11 AM
magical Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow! You all have some great ideas. But after reading "Sometimes" by Skfolc, there is no way I could reuse the same song, under the similar circumstances in my fic. She did a great job and now I've gotta use something different.

I agree that Clark might do something mushy-like, indicative of his feelings for Lois, while Lois might do something to reassert her independence. But maybe they won't be able to pick out their own songs, and will be stuck with another's choices for them...just a thought!

Keep those ideas coming, they're really helping me formulate my story.

dance

#146006 12/20/04 08:25 AM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Ooh!!! I remembered the perfect songs for Clark!! (Still can't imagine him singing, but hey goofy ) And there are so many good ones, I don't know what I'd pick... maybe you can finda way to use them all. laugh

Strong Enough to Be Your Man by Travis Tritt
The One by Gary Allan (I *really* love this one!!!)

I'll come back with more later. laugh

Sara (who has to go run someone *else's* errands grumble )

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

#146007 12/20/04 11:08 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
goofy

Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
#146008 12/22/04 07:10 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter

#146009 12/22/04 08:01 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Another for Clark (yeah, I know... what about Lois? I'm still thinking laugh )...

When I See You Smile by Bad English

I'll try to come up with something else for Lois. goofy

Sara

#146010 01/03/05 02:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
belately jumping in, as usual. Interesting thread!

Lots of songs could fit for both like Against all odds by Phil Collins or All the way you wander by Pauline Scanlon (originally sung by John Spillane ). But if I only consider english lyrics and have to downsize it to one song for each character, I'd say
Fallen by Lauren Wood or At Last by Celine Dion for Lois. And 'Have a little Faith in Me by Joe Cocker for Clark.

And just for the title's inside joke : I learned from the best by Whitney Houston. laugh

Carole smile1

#146011 01/03/05 11:15 AM
magical Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You all have some great ideas...

I have always loved "Fallen" - thats from "Pretty Woman" starring Julia Roberts.
Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

#146012 01/03/05 03:13 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm just catching up with this fun topic tonight (hi magical! smile ) Cute idea for a fic; I'm looking forward to reading it.

I agree with those who said that, if you really want to keep the timeline, you can't use anything from today, since the story would be set in 1995. (Of course, there is always the explanation that songs might be released at different time since this isn't necessarily "our" universe, but I still tend to think it would pull some people out of the story if you tried it.)

Therefore, I would recommend some old standards -- easier to sing than some of the newer songs, and we know from the show that both L&C have a liking for them.

For Clark, how about "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos? (That was the song playing during the stakeout on their "almost first date".) Or, if you wanted to go for something a bit more fun, I absolutely adore the Gershwin standard, "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off". Or how about "It Had To Be You"? That one isn't too hard to sing, but it's pretty appropriate for their relationship. smile

For Lois ... oh, boy, "I've Got A Crush On You" is perfect, especially if she chose it to sing to Clark knowing he'd remember the last time she sang it. You could work that into the story, her knowing that he'd love it. smile I'm sure there are others, but for some reason, it's always easier for me to get into Clark's head than Lois's. <g> Plus, there's the fact that she can sing, so her choices are more broad. wink Maybe she could do the Elvis song ... how about "Burning Love"? LOL, that would send a message. wink

Fun stuff. smile

Kathy

#146013 01/03/05 05:39 PM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Let's see: for Clark, "You send Me" by Sam Cooke. Any body can sing that one. Lois has the lungs for "He Touched Me" by Barbra Streisand.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#146014 01/04/05 03:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep it coming? OK.

For Clark (I think) "Dela" by Johnny Clegg&Savuka, "you are so beautiful" by Joe Cocker. "Ain't no sunshine" by The lighthouse family. And just for the melody "Leila" by Eric Clapton.

Those I don't really know who could sing it to whom:

"Love me or leave me" by Nina Simone.

"Ice cream" by Susan Mc Lachlan, "the nearness of you" by Norah Jones, love is stronger than pride" by Sade.

"So in love with you" or "Put your arms around me" by Texas.

Carole smile1

#146015 01/04/05 04:54 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, I too have problems picturing Clark singing. Yes, I remember the scene in "My Best Friend's Wedding", but somehow I just can't picture Clark doing it, whether or not he can sing a note. I don't even remember - has it actually beome established in fanfics that Clark can't carry a tune? I know that Dean can't sing, which is probably why I have problems picturing Clark singing, but I don't remember the issue coming up in fics that often. Maybe it's time to reread some more...

At any rate, I'll be curious to read the story, and I agree with my namesake - the esteemed KathyB - that old standards would suit them well. For Clark, how about The Way You Look Tonight . And for Lois - Fly Me to the Moon smile

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard