Next Thread
Print Thread
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
...so do I get a prize? wink

Really, here's my question.

I know that eligible stories are those stories submitted for uploading to the archive within the calendar year. So stories to be considered for 2004 Kerths must be on the archive by Dec. 31, 2004.

However, if a story has been posted to the MBs in its entirety by Dec. 31 (say the last posted segment is on Dec. 30) but it hasn't yet been placed on the archive, can it still be eligible for 2004 Kerths? And in such a case, is it ok to take the MB posted story and then submit it to the archive for uploading in January, 2005, knowing that that story would not be eligible for 2005 Kerths?

I understand that it's up to the writer to ask the Kerth Committee to add a story if the story hasn't been archived yet, but I just wondered if that's ok. Especially if the writer has intentions of sending it to archive but wanted to have the final reader fdk to work from in fine tuning the story.

Thanks for any help!
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Short answer - yes. <g>

So long as the story's been posted online in its entirety by December 31st, it's eligible.

The only difference really between having it posted here on the mbs (or elsewhere), or on the archive, is that the listing of all eligible stories on the archive is automatically sent to the Kerth Committe in January by the Archive EIC. (that's me! <G>).

If it's not on the Archive - as you say - it's up to the author to let the Kerth Committee know it's out there and eligible.

Submitting the story to the Archive after December 31st makes no difference in terms of Kerth eligibility. It's part of the EIC's job to note which submitted stories have already been counted in the previous year's Kerths and ensure they don't end up on the list twice. So it's not something authors have to worry about. It'll be taken care of automatically. smile I just pick up the information from Erin's handy Kerth site and adjust the figures at the end of the year, accordingly.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, Lynn, that's fine. The only requirement we have is that the story be finished and posted *somewhere* by the end of the year -- that's archive, boards, list, your own site, whatever. If it's on the archive, it's automatically eligible; if it's not, please just give us a link -- to a TOC, maybe -- and we'll add you in smile You can then submit it to the archive at your leisure wink

edit -- I see LabRat replied while I was typing... boy, am I relieved to see we agree <g> And in general, for Kerth questions, you can check our handy dandy Kerth FAQ .

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I thought that was the case, but it's good to see it brought out.

My plan is to have To Protect and Serve finished and posted on the message boards before the end of the year, but didn't want to have to put any pressure on the archives to get it uploaded.

I would really like TP&S II to be considered with my 2004 output. My current plan is to take 2005 off of fanfic writing, so it's nice to see this brought up.

Tank (who has never mastered those pesky TOC's since they would require a computer acumen beyond basic computer for morons)

lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Ooohhh...follow up question.

If the story was posted on the Nfic thread but is converted to PG fic for inclusion on the archive, does that count as "Posted somewhere"?

Thanks everyone for the quick answers.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh...Lynn, you'd probably have to get a ruling from one of the K-Comm people on that one, but I'd guess that the PGish version itself has to be posted somewhere - anywhere - on the web by the end of the year.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What Kathy said, AFAIK. The nfic version wouldn't be eligible for the Kerths, so wouldn't count. Pam?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That would be my understanding, yeah. The PG version has to be posted somewhere before the end of the year.

Thanks, Kathy & Labby for jumping in smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One thing to (maybe) think about is that there are (AFAIK, anyway) a good number of FoLCs who read the archives but not the MBs. During Kerth reading period, FoLCs may not pay as much attention to new stories on the archive, and may not be aware that a story posted after 12/31 is eligible. (It's posted on the official page, but they may not check or notice.)

Bottom line - While it will be officially eligible if you want it to be, it may have (slightly) less of a chance of being nominated.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard