Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145731 11/06/04 08:02 PM
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
goofy

And if this type of story has never been written before, does anyone else think that it has potential? Maybe I could post it in the Challenge thread!

I'd love to hear what you think!
Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mirage,

I've never read a story like that, but I think it has potential.

Go ahead and post it as a Challenge, and let's see what happens!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Mirage, I started writing a story like that a long time ago, but it didn't go very far. I might go back to working on it someday.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
I might go back to working on it someday.
hyper hyper hyper

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
A New Beginning, by Christy Landrum, nearly fits the bill:) It's set in Smallville when Clark is 17, and assumes that Lois lives there too. But she doesn't live next door - just close by. (at least, close by for a farm community laugh )
It's a really good story, about 200 k long - well worth the read smile

cc m

sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi!

Vicki - I'm getting right to it! smile

Laura, I'd really encourage you to pick it up again, it could make a really great story! If you need a BR, help brainstorming or any help at all, I'm completely here for you anytime you need me, just e-mail me, k? wink

And Carol, thanks for the reference! That one's going down on my to-read list! smile

But since no one's said anything about an actual written-and-out-there neighbor story, I'm gonna go ahead and post it in the Challenge board!

Hopefully soneone will rise to the challenge!

Mirage laugh

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So how would this work? Would they live in Smallville or Metropolis?

Molly
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Erm...good question!

Personally, I would prefer Smallville just because I so love the Farmboy side of Clark. And Lois could just be a young, tough cyncial kinda girl. And I mean, she doesn't have to have a farm (not everyone in Smallville does, right?), so her personality wouldn't have to deviate so much from what it originally is, I think.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
About how old would you want them to be? I mean, could she move to Smallville when she was like 12, or would you want them to have known each other from a younger age? Eight, five, babies?

Also, if it does take place in Smallville, living "next door" could actually mean they live pretty far from each other...

Molly
Columnist
Columnist
I think the story would have to be in Smallville for Clark to have the true naivete that he does. And no Lois wouldn't have to be a farm kid. My mother grew up in a town like Smallville. Her father owned the general store and was the train depot agent and postmaster. In those small towns the post office was very often in the general store - in fact the beach town next to us up until about 5 years ago had a post office in a clothing store.

You could still have her father be a doctor and her mother a nurse and just have the divorce come earlied and the alcoholism. After that there are all sorts of way to take this but have Ellen and the girls wind up in Smallville because that is where Ellen is able to get a job. Maybe she or Sam went to school with the town doctor or spouse and they are trying to help her back on her feet by giving her a job. Of course Lois would hate moving to a hick town even if she was 5 years old. So you can make her whatever age works, although I think she would have to be at least 10 years old (my opinion).

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Okay, in the story I have had a vague outline for for 4-5 years, Lois has to move to Smallville after her parents' divorce. There is a custody battle, and Ellen takes them to the middle of nowhere -- where they are away from Sam. Of course Lois hates it and tries at all costs to get back to Metropolis. Her mom rents a small house on a back corner of the Kents' farm. Ellen gets a job as a nurse at a local Kansas hospital -- probably not in Smallville, but the nearest "city". Lois meets Clark and initially thinks of him as a hick, but comes to see him as a friend.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
blush I guess I should have been a little more specific...it's my first time suggesting a story!

About how old would you want them to be? I mean, could she move to Smallville when she was like 12, or would you want them to have known each other from a younger age? Eight, five, babies?

Also, if it does take place in Smallville, living "next door" could actually mean they live pretty far from each other...
When I first thought of such a story, what I had in mind was that they would have known each other since they were in diapers (practically since birth, maybe Martha, Jonathan, Ellen and Sam were friends? or maybe Martha and Jonathan, being the nice people that they are, helped Ellen and Sam settle into Smallville). But then I realize that Lois might not have the type of personality that she has if she grew up in this type of setting. So I guess maybe they should meet at about 8 or 9 so that Lois has time to establish her personality first, as a hot-headed, fiery, perhaps even cynical, mini city-slicker. But I mean, if anyone can somehow cleverly work in the two characters to be faithful to the show even if they meet as babies, then so much the better!

And the second point is also true, they wouldn't exactly be very close together geographically even if they were neighbors. But I mean, they could have gone to school/community functions together, played Little League (I can see Lois as an athletic child, with Sam having wanted a boy and all) and since they'd be neighbors, perhaps Lois and Lucy would go over to be babysat by the Kents whenever the Lanes were fighting.

I agree wholeheartedly with kmar as well. Clark needs to be a farmboy to maintain his naivete and Lois' parents could still be a doctor and nurse. Maybe Sam and/or Ellen wanted to actually make a difference so they decided to work in a small town, where there was a shortage of medical personnel instead of the big city? Or maybe they couldn't find work in the city. Or any of kmar's suggestions are feasible too, I think.

But Laura has some really cool ideas brewing in her notebook too, so I'm gonna see what happens with her idea!

Mirage smile

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Hey everyone!

Deja vu..I was just thinking about the whole growing up together thing to myself, and of course love the ideas ya'll have come up with! But what about this:

For some reason that I'm not creative enough to think of at the moment, her family hates the Kents, while a teenage Lois and Clark are rendezvous-ing behind their back.
Hint of Romeo and Juliet, right? The forbidden is always more appealing. Maybe on arrival, Lois would be prohibited from making friends with Clark; that way, she would be seeking out the illicit as Lois always is.

But this way, Laura's idea would work: Ellen would probably have to be single. "Men are dirt" might come into play here.

Just thinking out loud here guys!

Sarah peep

[Lucius is trying to get his wife to tell him wear his Super suit is in 'The Incredibles']
Lucius Best: This is about the greater good!
Honey Best: I'm your wife! I'm the greatest good you're ever going to get!
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by kmar:
I think the story would have to be in Smallville for Clark to have the true naiveté that he does.
I disagree, I think if Clark was raised in a war zone he'd still have a little of that optimistic naivety. It seems his naivety stems from his belief that there’s a little something good in everyone, which the Kents instilled in him, rather than the other way around. I think no matter where they live, the Kents would still try and instill those values in him. But, for the sake of the story, if he was raised in Smallville until he was – say, 10 years old, then he’d still be very naïve IMO.

And, I think it would make much more sense if the Kents ended up in Metropolis, the story would probably have more continuity. Say for instance Mr. Kent fell ill and they had to move to Metropolis for treatment, seems more probable than the Lanes moving to whoop whoop :p They wouldn’t need to go all the way to Smallville, Kansas to end up someplace “backwater”. It provides plenty of opportunity for them to meet – I imagine Clark would be spending a lot of time in the hospital with his father and Lois might be there while hers worked, etc.

But, I digress, it’s neither my challenge or my story, so if it’s Smallville ye want, Smallville ye shall get. goofy

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Sarah, that's fantabulous! goofy I think that would make an awesome story. The only problem I see with it is, I have a lot of trouble imagining Martha and Jonathan really disliking someone a lot...maybe if they thought that Lois was a bad influence to Clark, which is why they need to keep them apart? But then that kinda kicks away another aspect of the story I love - the way the Kents just love Lois unconditionally almost from Day 1 because she means so much to Clark. But if anyone wants to or could go ahead with this idea, I'd love to see it happen and I'd be perfectly happy to brainstorm/BR/edit/help in any way! smile

And David: I think what you say is valid, I agree that a lot of Clark's personality comes from Martha and Jonathan. But then I also think that the setting has something to do with it... I'm not trying to make generalizations or anything here, but part of what makes M&J so likeable is their 'countryfolk niceness', I think. Of course, I'm not suggesting that city dwellers are inherently mean or anything, but that's just a thought. BUT! Again, if anyone wants to go ahead with THIS idea, I'd be happy to help see it through as well. But the only thing is, I can't bear to see Jonathan gravely ill! (Or sick enough to have to move his whole family to the city just so he can seek medical help.) But anyway, I'm open to new ideas, especially if anyone decides to take a stab at writing!

Mirage smile

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by mirage_woods:
And David: I think what you say is valid, I agree that a lot of Clark's personality comes from Martha and Jonathan. But then I also think that the setting has something to do with it... I'm not trying to make generalizations or anything here, but part of what makes M&J so likeable is their 'countryfolk niceness', I think. Of course, I'm not suggesting that city dwellers are inherently mean or anything, but that's just a thought. BUT! Again, if anyone wants to go ahead with THIS idea, I'd be happy to help see it through as well. But the only thing is, I can't bear to see Jonathan gravely ill! (Or sick enough to have to move his whole family to the city just so he can seek medical help.) But anyway, I'm open to new ideas, especially if anyone decides to take a stab at writing!

Mirage smile
Ah, but I don't think a move to the city would turn our lovable country bumpkins J&M into inherently mean city dwellers, after all, they were raised country folk wink

I do agree about making Jonathan sick - it's not a pleasant scenario, but there could be other ways.

In any case, it would be an interesting read smile

I'd write it myself, but a) I'm not much of a writer, b) Two stories are already niggling at the back of my brain, and c) I must admit all the stringent talk about grammar has me wary of posting anything I may write anyway.

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I must admit all the stringent talk about grammar has me wary of posting anything I may write anyway.
Aww! Don't let it affect you that way, David. Seriously - while readers here do appreciate good grammar in fic, we are very nice with newbie writers. smile Plus, that's what beta-readers are for. If you need help with grammar, you'll find plenty of willing volunteers. And, as well, when you send stories to the archive you'll get an editor assigned to look over the story for typos, grammar and so on.

Speaking personally, the only time I'll give up on a writer just because of poor grammar is if I've got the impression that the author isn't trying to improve - ie if suggestions have been made and help offered and the author is still making the same errors. thumbsup

So post your stories - I promise to comment and be nice wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
sandrad Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Wendy's right, David! Never, ever, ever keep a story to yourself because of any grammar issues you think you may have, because there are always LOTS of us here eager to read, edit, and help improve your story!

Mirage smile

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
^ Thanks smile

I'll definately consider it.

But you're forgeting a) wink

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
frown Oh, come on, work with us here, David! The more you write, the better you get, and the more you'll like writing altogether! Take it from a professional procrastinator...putting these things off does NOT help.
And Mirage:
"The only problem I see with it is, I have a lot of trouble imagining Martha and Jonathan really disliking someone a lot...maybe if they thought that Lois was a bad influence to Clark, which is why they need to keep them apart? "

(sorry, don't know how to do the cool post copy thing)
What if Clark felt so guilty about the behind Lois' parents back thing that he just didn't tell his parents about Lois? Or maybe they could be in on it to...hmm... confused

Sarah wink

[Lucius is trying to get his wife to tell him wear his Super suit is in 'The Incredibles']
Lucius Best: This is about the greater good!
Honey Best: I'm your wife! I'm the greatest good you're ever going to get!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard