Print Thread
#145436 10/05/04 10:39 AM
S
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
S
Hiya,

I'm curious. Was it ever mentioned in the series when (in earth's timeline, rather than his) H. G. Wells visited Utopia? I'd like to know roughly how long it takes for society to evolve to that level of perfection for a story I'm working on.

Thanks all,
Catherine

Catherine - naivety passing full-blown
#145437 10/05/04 11:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, that was left deliberately vague. It's just some time in the future. You could say he went forwards to the same time as he did in his book (in which he finds a post-apocalyptic future), but even that wouldn't tell us when Utopia was founded.

Basically, go with whatever works for you.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, Catherine. Nice nick. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#145438 10/05/04 02:39 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hello WELCOME!

Hmmm....me thinks someone is researching...FOR A FIC!! mmmmMMUHAHAHAAAA

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#145439 10/05/04 02:41 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
In the book, it said year 802,701 AD, but the book's Uropiah sucked, so I'm guessing he may have gone to an earlier time, before people became stupid. <g> There was never any indication on L&C.

Welcome to the boards... or as some of us say, "fresh meat, he he he." <g>

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#145440 10/06/04 02:22 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, in the Tempus Fugative, Wells mentions that 'Utopia' is somewhen in the 22nd Century.

Personally, I have serious doubts as to that date, unless something REALLY serious were to change the world as we know it, like a nuclear exchange or a serious alien invasion or something that would make changes of a 'Utopia' level possible.

James, who has been toying with some ideas about how something like that could happen, should anyone like to hear them, since I probably won't get around to writing them...

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#145441 10/06/04 12:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
22nd century? Hmm. Must have missed that... But isn't that about when the Federation was founded in the ST universe?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#145442 10/27/04 08:24 PM
S
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
S
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.
Real life intruded and I couldn't visit for a while, but now I'm back, and glad of the welcome.

A fic? Me? Never...
*tries to look innocent and fails*
Actually, I wrote a couple of L&C scribbles a few years ago, but I've never really got around to fixing them for the archives.

James, I'd love to hear your ideas. I've been tossing around a few theories about how one could build Utopia, but none of my ideas really works yet.

Again, thanks for the help and the welcome. Hopefully I'll be around more now, and we can get to know each other.

Catherine - naivety passing full-blown
#145443 10/28/04 04:11 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
James wrote
Personally, I have serious doubts as to that date, unless something REALLY serious were to change the world as we know it, like a nuclear exchange or a serious alien invasion or something that would make changes of a 'Utopia' level possible.
Would you consider the arrival of one alien, a super man so to speak laugh , who pushes for a better world by example? Or perhaps, a group of New Kryptonians who try to take over the world but are stopped by this superman? (I usually ignore the existence of the New Krytponians, but it seems to help me make a point :rolleyes: so I'll use it.

gerry

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard