Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#145115 09/19/04 11:43 AM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Can anyone give me more information on "dummy companies"? Isn't that what they're called when someone is trying to hide their illegal dealings through some other kind of company?

I'm working through my A-plot and need to find out what exactly a dummy company is, how they are founded (so people can't track down the real person behind them), etc.

HELP?? (Consider that a very big cry for help. I'm stuck! dizzy )

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#145116 09/19/04 02:35 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, boy, I'm not sure I can help with details, though I have glossed over them in at least one of my stories while using this plot device. I've heard them refered to as "shell companies" because there's nothing inside, it's just the appearance of a company that exists.

My very basic understand of them is that a person will set up a fake company (one that is incorporated with a title, an address, maybe even an appointed board) in order to hide the activity of a real company. So, for example, Lex might set up a real estate development company in the name of Arianna Carlin and use that company to hold property that would be a conflict of interest if LexCorp were to hold it. If no one knows that Carlin is his ex-wife, then everyone would assume they are independent of each other, when in fact, LexCorp would be pulling the strings of both companies (and thus have some conflict of interest, like redevelopment or insurance or whatever). Nest a few of these shell companies together -- say the next company is registered by someone connected to Arianna, but not directly to Lex, and so on -- and it creates a paper trail that is very difficult follow.

I've also heard of people using these types of companies to hide their earnings -- maybe LexCorp gets out of paying the proper amount of taxes because the small company gets some type of tax break or small business grant that LexCorp would never get.

Hopefully that was at least a little bit helpful!

Kathy

#145117 09/19/04 06:34 PM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by KathyB:
Hopefully that was at least a little bit helpful!
Oh, Kathy, I could kiss you! sloppy This is exactly the info I needed! You've just fixed my problem in just one post. How do you do that? laugh

THANK YOU!!!!

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#145118 09/19/04 06:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know much more than Kathy, but I think shell companies can also be used for money laundering.

If LexCorp makes money illegally, they have the money in hand but can't use it without raising eyebrows. Officially, they shouldn't have the money.

So, they can set up dummy corperations that supposedly do buisiness, and use them to explain where the money came from. The dummy corperations will fudge their books, reporting small losses here and there. "Oops. We ordered a shipment, but it broke, and we already paid Lexcorp..." That sort of thing.

As Kathy said, they can be used to buy and run other companies. CNN is a cable channel started by Turner Broadcasting. Turned Broadcasting is owned by something like Turner Enterprises. Turner Enterprises was bought out by AOL. Now, AOL owns CNN, but to find that out, you'd have to trace through all those levels of subsidiaries.

AOL also owns a bunch of other stuff, including Cartoon Network, Hanna-Barberra, and Netscape. Their merger with Time-Warner gave them Time-Life, Warner Brothers Studios, and DC Comics (which owns Superman, among others), among others.

Pepsi used to own KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, but those three split off a while back. I believe PepsiCo still owns MTV and VH1.

So, imagine that sort of thing, except that the subsidiaries aren't big, well-publicized companies. They're little companies which don't visibly do much of anything whose ownership and paper trails are deliberately made as confusingly as possible. A casual glance would never tell you that Mom and Dad's Friendly Corner Drugstore is, in fact, ultimately owned by LexCorp. Even a close look wouldn't show a direct link. You'd have to do some deliberate and determined digging to find the connection. Mom and Dad's Friendly Corner Drugstore could then be used to do anything that Lex didn't want directly associated with his company for some reason.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#145119 09/20/04 04:16 AM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Paul, THANK YOU!!!! sloppy I'm always amazed by the amount of information you have! I still have all the notes you sent me the first time around when I was brainstorming this. All that information was simply invaluable! Thank you so much for you .02!

Off to do some work while the kids are occupied...

~~Erin

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard