This is the first half of the grand finale of the "Nine" pregnancy series... I have Stopquitdont and Julie Stars to thank for this story--without their keen BR skills no one would have seen any of this! I also want to thank Michelle for her kind support all along! And thanks to all of you who have been reading!! So here it is, FoLCs...

One (1/2) by Wanda Detroit

* * 1 * *

“This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever done!” Lois Lane announced, gripping the steering wheel for dear life. She was driving quite awkwardly, considering she had to sit about a foot and a half farther away from the steering wheel than she was used to. She pushed the pedal to the metal, accelerating down the dirt road. Where was he??

She pulled the car over onto the shoulder. Wait a minute--did it *count* as a shoulder? The road wasn’t even paved. She parked the car, crossed her arms over the steering wheel and rested her forehead on her hands. A combination of breathing exercises and groans got her through the contraction. It passed finally, but they were undoubtedly getting closer and closer together. Yes, this was definitely the stupidest thing she’d ever done.

The urge to walk was overwhelming; she opened the car door and paced circles around the car miserably. She decided to try again. She threw her head back and yelled. “Superman! Help!” Then, she waited. Nothing.

Something was wrong; she had a bad feeling. Clark knew the baby would be here any day now... He wouldn’t ignore her cries for help. Not now.

Unless--

Oh, God. No.

Lois couldn’t think of it now. She had to take advantage of the time between contractions to drive... She was headed for the outskirts of Metropolis--farther and farther from the hospital.

“*Definitely* the stupidest thing I’ve ever done...” she murmured, starting the car.

Lois felt funny the night before. All afternoon she’d been energetic and restless. By evening, she started having mild contractions. She wasn’t certain if it was the real deal, though, so she kept it to herself. They were sporadic enough.

She was just about to tell Clark she thought this could be it when he was called away on an emergency. He spun into his Suit and kissed Lois quickly.

“Warehouse district--there’s a fire in one of the abandoned buildings,” he explained curtly, before flying off.

‘Well,’ Lois thought, ‘labor takes hours.’ She would tell him when he returned.

She tried to sleep but was continually interrupted by contractions. Every time she woke up, she’d roll over to see if Clark had returned--but he hadn’t. The next morning, no sign of Clark. She waited and waited.

The contractions were getting closer and stronger. Lois paced nervously, attempting to remember her breathing from Lamaze class. Images of that ridiculous instructor, Marina, danced in her head.

A particularly strong contraction hit. Where *was* he?! Lois gripped the back of a chair and leaned on it, breathing hard. When it had finally passed, she waddled uncomfortably to the balcony and stepped out. Hesitantly, she called, “Superman?”

She took in the fresh air for a few minutes, waiting for him to show up. But there was no sign of her husband. She waited.

Another contraction hit. “SUPERMAN!” she belted out, fueled by the discomfort she was in. Surely he’d hear *that.*

Nothing.

It was then that Lois started to worry. She’d have to go looking for *him.*

Just when she thought she couldn’t drive anymore, she saw one of the abandoned warehouses. It had an old parking lot surrounding it, but the pavement was all overgrown with weeds through giant cracks. ‘This could be it,’ she thought, taking note of what smelled like something burning. As she pulled up to it, every bump and pothole caused her immense pain. Just then she saw her husband stumble from the building.

“Clark!”

His cape was ragged and he was limping! Limping?!

“Lois,” he managed weakly. “You... found me.” His knees went weak and he collapsed.

She got out of the car as quickly as she could and rushed clumsily towards her fallen hero. “Clark, get up!” she wept, frightened. “What happened?” She slid an arm around him and helped him up. He looked up at her groggily.

“Kryptonite gas--in there,” he said, coughing.

Lois helped him to the car as best she could. Once in the passenger seat, Clark was able to relax. Lois scrambled into the driver’s seat and was about to start the car when a contraction hit. Instinctually, she seized Clark’s hand, groaning.

“Lois--you’re... in labor!”

Lois nodded, breathing through the pain. Finally it passed.

He studied her and held her hand. “How long...?”

“Since last night.” She started the car, and nodded toward a tote bag containing a pair of Clark’s sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt. “I brought you some clothes so you can change before we go to the hospital.”

“Thanks.”

Lois watched worriedly as a weak Clark began to change into his regular clothes. ”I have to get you away from the Kryptonite...” she said. She drove a few hundred yards before she was forced to stop when another contraction overcame her.

“Breathe, honey!” Clark urged. He was now dressed and holding her hand.

Lois tried, and again felt the need to walk. “Can you... come out now?”

“I think so. I’m feeling a little better already. But Lois--”

“I know, your powers.”

Clark got out of the car first and helped ease Lois out. He walked restlessly with her until another contraction came. She wrapped her arms around his neck and concentrated on her breathing while Clark massaged her lower back. Lois groaned. “They’re getting worse,” she murmured, her brow furrowing with the pain. “Oh, God!” she cried sharply.

“Lois, what is it?” Clark didn’t need an answer; he could see for himself. Fluid ran down her leg from under her sundress. Her water had broken! “Honey, let’s get you into the car, quick. I don't think we’re going to make it anywhere now that I don’t have powers...”

Lois looked up at him, a panic-stricken look on her face. “Oh, Clark, no... I can’t do this. Not here.”

“Honey, we’re together. We’ll get through this. I promise.”

Clark found some towels in the trunk and spread one out over the back seat so Lois could lay down. He saved a fresh one to wrap the baby in. Lois refused to lie down just yet; she was pacing around the car again while Clark readied the back seat.

“Clark...?” she called. He looked up to find she was resting her head on crossed arms, pressing against the car. “Clark, it’s getting worse!” She let out a low moan. Fast as he could without super speed, he was behind her rubbing her back.

“Keep breathing--you’re doing so well!” he said encouragingly.

The contraction passed, but minutes later another one came.

“Clark, I almost feel like I could push,” Lois said with a groan.

“You better lay down, Lois. Let’s take a look.” Clark helped her into the back seat and eased her damp underpants off. He rolled a spare towel up as a pillow under her head, and lifted her sundress. “Almost there, Lois. You’re dilated to about eight. Don’t push, okay?”

She nodded. “Oh, no--here comes another one...” Lois grabbed both of Clark’s hands and squeezed them as she fought through another contraction.

“Try to relax, honey--don’t use your energy until you have to.”

An hour passed. Periodically, the anxious father-to-be tried to test whether his powers had returned. There was no sign that they had. He felt so helpless as he watched his wife struggle through the strong contractions. “Lois? Honey, you can push next time, okay?”

Lois nodded, determined. She shifted a little and gripped Clark’s hands. He watched her, in awe and admiration, as she drew in a deep breath and pushed. He counted for her and supported her with encouraging words. They were almost parents!

Almost.

But two hours passed. The baby had certainly descended. Clark could just barely see its head. Just when he thought there was about to be some progress, the baby slipped back in. All of this was taking its toll on Lois. She was becoming exhausted and frustrated. Clark tried to stay as upbeat and encouraging as he could, but he was secretly as frustrated as Lois was. He was eager to meet his child, and he was worried about Lois.

Another contraction came. They were so fast that Lois barely had time to rest in between. “Come on, Lois! Push!”

“I can’t, Clark...” she said wearily. “I can’t do this.”

“Lois, there is *nothing* you can’t do.”

“Yes, there is. This having a baby thing isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I want to go home...” She wept silently. “This isn’t how we planned it.”

“Nothing ever happens as we plan it,” Clark added with an exasperated sigh.

She nodded in agreement. “I know,” she whispred. “I hoped just this *once*--”

Clark’s heart was breaking for her. “Sweetheart, if I thought you could wait, I’d try to drive you to the hospital.”

“I can wait. Do it! Please,” she pleaded.

Clark nodded. He stepped out of the car and moved to the driver’s seat. He started the car and headed a few feet in the direction of the hospital.

A sharp scream escaped Lois. “Clark!” she cried out.

He was quick to park and get back into the back seat with his wife. “Are you okay?” he asked, panic in his voice.

“Moving... didn’t feel so good,” she groaned.

Clark took both Lois’ hands in his. “Listen to me, Lois,” he said softly. “Rest through a few contractions, and then we’ll try pushing again, okay?” She nodded.

Contractions came and went. Clark held Lois close, massaged her back, and helped her breathe. Now he was seriously worried about Lois’ condition if she didn’t deliver soon. Her skin was cool and clammy, her legs were trembling, and her pulse was fast.

Lois rested until the next contraction seized her, then she knew what she had to do. It was now or never. Drawing in a deep breath, she pushed with every last ounce of her strength, which was quickly wearing out.

She vaguely heard fragments of Clark’s words of encouragement. “Come on, Lois! That’s it... you can do this... Good! Keep pushing... don’t stop now, honey... head’s almost out! *Harder!* That’s it... you’re doing it, Lois! Almost there...”

Lois bore down harder, groaning, then yelling through clenched teeth with the tremendous effort. Tears and sweat glistened on her cheekbones. She felt like she might split in two, but she ignored the pain as best she could, focusing instead on Clark’s voice.

“Push, Lois!” he said, the excitement evident in his voice. He took her hand quickly and guided it down in the nick of time, for her to feel the baby’s head finally leave her body. She let out a small gasp of amazement. She looked up at Clark; he was beaming and had tears in his eyes. “The worst is over, honey. Come on, give me one more big push,” he said, supporting the baby’s head with one hand and giving her hand an encouraging squeeze with the other.

Lois pushed again, her efforts more productive than they’d been all along. She leaned forward a bit, still bearing down hard. Then, she felt her baby make its descent.

Clark watched in awe as first one shoulder, then the next came out. Seconds later, he was holding a squirming, slippery baby boy.

Lois felt a tremendous release, and lay back, limp and exhausted. Quiet tears streamed down her cheeks. She heard a shrill cry as her child made his entrance into the world.

With a towel and shaky hands, Clark cleared the infant’s airway as best he could. Holding his child for the first time, he no longer resembled the confident superhero he was; instead, he was a trembling, awe struck, first-time parent.

“Lois, honey!” Clark cried, tears sparkling in his eyes. “It’s a boy! We have a baby boy!” Lois weakly tried to lift her head to see better, but her muscles protested. Seconds later, Clark wrapped a towel around the baby and helped Lois hold her son.

“Oh my God, Clark,” Lois wept, seeing the baby for the first time. “He’s so beautiful.”

Clark kissed Lois on the forehead. “*You* are so beautiful. I’m so proud of you.” He gazed upon his new family. The baby boy was perfect as can be. He had a healthy set of lungs, Clark decided, upon hearing his yell. The look of wonderment on Lois’ face was priceless. She stared at the baby and touched his cheek gently, a fascinated smile on her face. She looked pale and tired, but her cheeks were flushed to a rosy pink and her damp hair was drying in little ringlets. She placed a soft kiss atop the baby’s head, and Clark wished he had his camera. Only he didn’t need it. It was a moment he’d remember for his whole life.

He hated to interrupt it. But he knew that he better get them to the hospital as soon as possible. “Sweetie, I should take you to the hospital right away. We need to make sure both of you are okay,” he said, kissing her again. “My powers aren’t back yet... we’re going to have to do this the old fashioned way,” he said, retrieving the car keys. “Will you be okay?”

Lois nodded.

Clark helped his wife shift into a more comfortable position before moving into the front seat. She winced, feeling another wave of pain, but concentrated instead on holding her new son close. They drove off towards the hospital, and Clark was beaming proudly as he glanced every few seconds at Lois and the baby in the rear-view mirror. In his excitement over seeing his child finally arrive, he’d failed to notice that Lois was still bleeding...

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.