Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LnC101 Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I was wondering if any fanfic authors here have an opinion on when you think it's time to hang up the keyboard. When story plots get boring? when you get bored with writing fics? What would make you stop writing fanfics?

Bye-
Lisa

"You don't earn your press pass by making friends."
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When nobody reads my stuff.

TEEEJ

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I'd say when you get bored with it or when you are out of ideas.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When your energy and attention are remorselessly drained away by real-life situations. When it's not fun anymore. When you can't come up with any ideas that excite you.

And sometimes, at least temporarily, it's when you are convinced that the idea you've been working on has been done many times before, by authors far better at it than you. Yeah, I know that every author will have a different spin on the basic story idea, but it can get really difficult to come up with any new spins that don't seem like a waste of everyone's time.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
The only thing that would make me stop writing entirely is if my muse took a permanent vacation. I've had writer's block on a story for months at a time, but I usually get an idea for another story somewhere during that time.

My muse tends to focus on one or two fandoms at a time, so I've stopped writing for a few particular fandoms, but that doesn't mean I'll never write for them again.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Yeah, what Pam said. laugh Well and TEEEJ too. If I wasn't getting any feedback at all. That would probably kill my motivation.

Sara (who is currently writing too many fics to count)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
That dreaded thing that is named Writer's Block and includes lack of ideas/inspiration, that symptom where you can't find the appropriate words to describe what you want to describe, that other symptom where what you write looks like useless crap, and makes writing *not* fun.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I just wanted to add...though it's a tad off topic...Anna, I've never seen useless crap from you. But come to think of it...I haven't seen *anything* from you in a while... wildguy wildguy wildguy

Sara (who's conviced that relentless nagging *must* help writer's block...at least a little bit laugh )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I stop when I lose interest -- the key ingredient to writing, for me, is to enjoy it. Feedback helps greatly with this, but the person who absolutely 100% must be enjoying my story is me smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's funny, but after every story I write, my brain completely empties of all things Lois and Clark. And it's about then that I figure my LnC fanfic writing days are over - all of my ideas are dried up and I'm going to retire.

Then somehow, a little germ of an idea gets planted and next thing I know, I'm writing again.

So I guess I'll finally stop writing when people stop reading and offering feedback or when that little germ of an idea just doesn't come.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When your energy and attention are remorselessly drained away by real-life situations.
Bingo!

It's been multiple months now since I've written anything because of real life situations, and now that school's started up again...free time? What's this novel concept? Any free time I get pretty much either goes to my paintings (which I've already got 5 to do for various people plus a wall on campus that needs artwork), or just kicking back online and collapsing before bedtime.

But that's not to say that I'll never write again.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Like Lynn, when I finish a story, it's as if I have poured every Lois and Clark thought out of my head. I feel completely done. And I think, "Well, now I've gotten this ridiculous hobby out of my system!"

So far, though, that finished feeling hasn't lasted more than a few months. I guess when that next idea doesn't come, something that feels new and interesting to me, I'll know I'm truly done. And that would be the only thing that would stop me cold.

Otherwise, I write fanfic because I just really love to. It's great fun for me.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd say when other things attract my interest. I'm very much into the political season nowadays, spending quite a bit of time debating politics on other message boards, and haven't even visited this site in a while to even see what stories have been posted. This might even be my first post in weeks.

I've had a bit of an idea on stories but simply haven't had the time or inclination to get them down onto electronic paper.

Exhaustion is another factor that keeps me staring at a blank page for long periods of time before I give up and go to sleep.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd say when I stop getting ideas for new stories (which usually happens when I'm about half-way through the current story dizzy ), or when I suddenly wake up and realise I'm spending most of my free time writing stories about a man who flies. blush

Yvonne

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lack of inspiration, lack of time.
Lack of motivation, lack of time.
Lack of an original plot (preferably smooch-waffy free), lack of time.
Lack of interest in actually reading the story (I'm very critic with my fics).
Lack of time, lack of self-confidence and...did I mention lack of time?

Carole smile1

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Like Lynn and CC, when I finish a story, I feel as though I don't want to write ever again, even though I may have an idea or two on my hard drive. I spend so much time trying to get it just right, that I feel written out. But in a few months, I'm ready to go again. This year though, RL has interfered with a bang, and the story I've been trying to finish may have to wait till next year.

I'll eventually stop when the characters and situations don't challenge me anymore. A few days ago my husband, in a disbelieving tone, asked me if I was going to do this for the rest of my life. This from a man whose idea of a perfect way to spend his time is to stand hip deep in swirling waater in rain and wind to catch a steelhead and throw it back. After 44 years of marriage, he still hasn't learned that a remark like that is guaranteed to keep me going for another year or two. wink

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Sanity.

Tank (who thinks that sometimes the simple answers say it best wink )

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Sanity is highly overrated. Who needs it?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Merriwether
Merriwether
When your energy and attention are remorselessly drained away by real-life situations.
This is it for me ... I haven't written anything in 9 months now and it's mainly because real life has been keeping me really busy.

But in contrast to what a few others have said (Lynn, CC, Jude), finishing a story makes me *more* likely to write, not less. I draw a great deal of energy from the creation process and when the feedback is coming in, it's like a drug that makes me want more of it. It's when I *stop* writing (the way I have this year) that I start to believe that I may never get back to it.

My one hope right now is that I've gone through this once before a few years ago, and though I was positive that I was done writing, the muse finally came back and I produced several more stories. I just hope history repeats itself and I get that creative drive again. I miss that heady "stop everything to write" feeling. smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sanity.
There is such a thing?!?! goofy

And, Kathy, I hope that the creative urge comes back for you, too - I miss your writing. sad

What would make me give up? Running out of ideas, maybe, though that doesn't seem to have happened yet; feeling that no-one was interested in reading anything I wrote (though even then I would probably still have the drive to write, but I might not post it); feeling that I'd simply lost the ability and couldn't write anything even half-decent any more and that every word from my keyboard was terrible - that's led me to have a couple of periods when I wasn't writing at all, so I could see that stopping me permanently if I couldn't get over it. Lack of time? Maybe, but I've usually found ways of getting around that. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard