Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144797 08/06/04 11:46 PM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
If you have someone locked inside a room where it's completely dark - and I do mean dark as in no light at all inside the room - would it be possible to have a camera inside the room that films the movements of the person inside?

I know that usally you need light, but maybe if you use infra-red or something like that?

Just sound isn't enough, but it will do if the camera thing is impossible. But it's nice if the captors can see what the person inside is doing to well, have fun about it.

Any opinions? And yes, it's really for a fic I'm currently working. wink

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, there's plenty of camera technology about that would make it possible for someone to monitor a dark room or cell.

And don't forget too that Metropolis on the show was always shown to be just slightly ahead of the real world as far as technology went - they had many inventions that we didn't or that we're only starting to get a handle on. Lex and StarLabs had a lot to answer for. <G>

So, even if the real world didn't have what you needed, you could more than get away with saying Metropolis did imo.

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yup. And you've probably seen some episode of Survivor or Big Brother or something, and there you see these kind of cameras, all because they want to tape people running and screaming THERE'S A BUG IN MY BED!! or other more...embarrassing situations. So yes, people can just about film everything and everyone, whether it's day or night.

Pelican

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, you could do it. Basically, you'd have to have the camera set to detect light outside the visible spectrum. IR would work, but you might not get the best resolution (they'd have to have some pretty advanced sensors), and you wouldn't be able to see anything that was room temperature.

A better option would probably be something like UV. Not actual UV, since that would be rather harmful to the occupant of the room, but something like that. Flood the room with a type of light that the camera can see but that a human can't. You wouldn't be able to see colors, but you could get a fairly good monochrome image of the whole room.

In fact, there are some video cameras that do something like that. They have a "nightshot" capability which basically works like night vision goggles, essentially increasing the camera's sensitivity to what little light there is, but they also have "super night shot," which dramatically increases the picture you get by emitting a beam of light invisible to the human eye. Looking it up, I see that they actually do use low-intensity IR light. You can even buy a seperate, more powerful IR emitter to allow you to do exactly what you're asking about. If you're curious, there's one here .

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard