Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144530 07/07/04 11:28 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
When you're writing about something Clark does while he's dressed as Superman, do you describe him as Clark or as Superman? (Of course, I'm talking about cases where you've already mentioned he's dressed as Superman)
For instance, "It wasn't difficult for Clark to stop the thieves" or "It wasn't difficult for Superman to stop the thieves"?

Thank you,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#144531 07/07/04 11:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It depends. <g> Whose POV am I in, and how would that person think of him? If it's Lois's POV and she doesn't know CK=S, then it's gotta be "Superman" every time. If it's Clark's POV, or a Lois who knows, then it can fluctuate, depending on the topic of conversation, but would probably mostly be "Clark."

I went browsing through some of my recent stuff to see what I'd done, and this seemed a decent example:

Lois looked down to see a little girl, around preschool age. She was looking up at Superman with rapt admiration.

Clark shot a quick smile at Lois before crouching down to get on eye-level with the child.

The little girl only sees Superman, but Lois knows he's Clark.

You can do some subtle stuff with these names. Someone pointed out years ago, that Lois says "Lex" while Clark says "Luthor." In my JetSet, there for a while, Lois was talking with Mr. and Mrs. Kent; they had to get to know each other more before Lois started using their first names in her inner narrative.

I don't know if this made any sense. <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#144532 07/07/04 12:16 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yes, it did make sense, Pam. Thanks a lot!
AnnaBtG. smile

#144533 07/07/04 01:40 PM
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
Speaking about Jetset, when shall we have "K for...", Pam? laugh
Anna, help me here!

Simona smile

#144534 07/07/04 02:00 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
When you're writing about something Clark does while he's dressed as Superman, do you describe him as Clark or as Superman?
I'd also say it depends on POV and what he's thinking about at the time. I've done the same thing with Peter Parker/Spidey as well.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#144535 07/08/04 01:07 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Anna, help me here!
Sure! Pam, WRITE!! wildguy wildguy wildguy
(What do you mean, "you haven't read J yet"? I intend to! wink )

Thank you too, Emily.
AnnaBtG.

#144536 07/08/04 04:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm working on it, I'm working on it! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard