Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Writing about Superman - 07/07/04 03:28 PM
When you're writing about something Clark does while he's dressed as Superman, do you describe him as Clark or as Superman? (Of course, I'm talking about cases where you've already mentioned he's dressed as Superman)
For instance, "It wasn't difficult for Clark to stop the thieves" or "It wasn't difficult for Superman to stop the thieves"?

Thank you,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Writing about Superman - 07/07/04 03:56 PM
It depends. <g> Whose POV am I in, and how would that person think of him? If it's Lois's POV and she doesn't know CK=S, then it's gotta be "Superman" every time. If it's Clark's POV, or a Lois who knows, then it can fluctuate, depending on the topic of conversation, but would probably mostly be "Clark."

I went browsing through some of my recent stuff to see what I'd done, and this seemed a decent example:

Lois looked down to see a little girl, around preschool age. She was looking up at Superman with rapt admiration.

Clark shot a quick smile at Lois before crouching down to get on eye-level with the child.

The little girl only sees Superman, but Lois knows he's Clark.

You can do some subtle stuff with these names. Someone pointed out years ago, that Lois says "Lex" while Clark says "Luthor." In my JetSet, there for a while, Lois was talking with Mr. and Mrs. Kent; they had to get to know each other more before Lois started using their first names in her inner narrative.

I don't know if this made any sense. <g>

PJ
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Writing about Superman - 07/07/04 04:16 PM
Yes, it did make sense, Pam. Thanks a lot!
AnnaBtG. smile
Posted By: Simona Re: Writing about Superman - 07/07/04 05:40 PM
Speaking about Jetset, when shall we have "K for...", Pam? laugh
Anna, help me here!

Simona smile
Posted By: EmilyH Re: Writing about Superman - 07/07/04 06:00 PM
When you're writing about something Clark does while he's dressed as Superman, do you describe him as Clark or as Superman?
I'd also say it depends on POV and what he's thinking about at the time. I've done the same thing with Peter Parker/Spidey as well.
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Writing about Superman - 07/08/04 05:07 AM
Anna, help me here!
Sure! Pam, WRITE!! wildguy wildguy wildguy
(What do you mean, "you haven't read J yet"? I intend to! wink )

Thank you too, Emily.
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Writing about Superman - 07/08/04 08:56 AM
I'm working on it, I'm working on it! goofy

PJ
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards