Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144456 06/24/04 10:08 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Some of us have just been talking grammar on IRC, and I remembered that not long ago someone on the boards was asking for a good online guide. So here's a couple that I use and have recommended to others from time to time.

The best all-round guide, with examples and quizzes, is Charles Darling\'s Guide to Grammar and Writing . It's excellent. Note for those who use UK English: the site is American and, where US rules diverge (such as with the serial comma), US usage is naturally shown.

This Guide to Common Errors in English is both fun and helpful. Do you confuse similar-sounding words? Never remember whether it's 'could care less' or 'couldn't care less'? This is the site for you! wink

And here's an online grammar site for those working in UK English .

Here's another useful American site: Jack Lynch\'s Blue Book .

The American Heritage Book of English Usage is another useful site.

And another UK English site, hosted at University College London: the Internet Grammar of English .

And a website aimed at speakers of English as a second or foreign language . And a list of other ESL resources .

Finally, I found this page on the BBC World Service's English language guide for speakers of other languages, but reading through it I realised that it would be very helpful for native speakers too. It explains and gives examples for many confusing grammar rules , but in very clear language.

Hope these help!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#144457 06/24/04 10:11 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oooh, thank you! I've been meaning to gather sites of that kind in a bookmark folder but hadn't found the time to gather them up. Very helpful. Will explore those. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#144458 06/25/04 03:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Wendy, This will be a help. laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#144459 06/30/04 02:48 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh, great. Been meaning to browse sites like these. Thanks!

Pelican (who now knows when to use 'borrowed' and 'loaned')

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
#144460 06/30/04 09:32 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thanks, Wendy!

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard