Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm working on a story where I need some big political persons to show up from around 1993/1994. Since I was eleven at that time, I don't quit remember much about those people. help

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
er...this is just the ones that come to mind, non exhaustive list, and I might be wrong with some, regarding the dates:

-François Mitterand (president), Edouard Balladur (Prime minister), Laurent Fabius (candidate for Prime minister) (France)
-Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Bob Dole, Georges Bush (USA. I would have put Ronald Reagan, but I think it's doesn't stand in your 'date fork')
-Margaret Tatcher, John Major (England)
-Valdemar Pawlak, prime minister (Poland)
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Opponent to Burmese militarian junta (Burma)
-Mary Robinson, president (Ireland, but i'm not sure about the date)
-Jose Maria Aznar, prime minister (Spain)
- Romano Prodi, prime minister (Italy)
-Boris Eltsine, president (Russia)
-Helmut Kohl, first Chancelier (Germany)
-Ion Iliescu, president (Romania)
-Yasser Arafat, leader of OLP (Palestine)
-Yitzhak Rabin& Shimon Peres prime Minister, both peace Nobel Prizes in 1994 (Israel)
-Kim Il sung and Kim jong Il, political leader and marshal, chief of state of DPR (Democratic People's Republic of North Corea)
-Deng Xiao Ping (China, not sure about the date)
-The Dalaï Lama.
-Pascal Lissouba, president of Congo (I know, I know. But I couldn't resist!)

Hope it helps, anyway... And that I didn't make too much mistakes.

Carole smile1

PS: show business? er...Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump), Bono, Dan Rather, Britney Spears, Celine Dion, the Spice Girls, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore (Girl Power time), Luciano Pavarotti. Oh, and there was this tv show named Lois&Clark, starring... I think it was Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain, but I'm not 100% sure. laugh

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1 Paul Keating - The Australian Prime Minister 1991-1996.

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, not to sound like a provincial American or anything laugh but I was 25 at the time, fairly well-informed, and would *not* have recognized a lot of those names <g> and half the others, I'd have said sounded familiar, but would have to think about where I'd heard them. I'd recommend you stick with USA politicians.

In 1993, Bill Clinton (Democrat) was in his first presidential term, with Al Gore as his VP. Hilary Clinton (D) was making all sorts of headlines. Ronald Reagan & George Bush (Republicans) would have been ex-presidents but still very well known. Newt Gingrich (R) was stirring up a lot of animosity in the House of Representatives. Most of the current Senators were probably there then, too -- Tom Daschle (D) or Jesse Helms (R) were pretty well-known, I think. Senator Ted Kennedy (D) was definitely there. Senator Bob Dole (R) had not yet run for President. Ross Perot (crazy old coot <g>) was still kicking up quite a fuss, I believe.

That's the most I can think of at the moment... and remember, in L&C's world, they had President Garner, so it's clear there are some major differences. So go with whatever works for your story.

PJ smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
Jose Maria Aznar, prime minister (Spain)
Nooope wink 1996 smile

Felipe Gonzalez, prime minister laugh

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Carole: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Mandy Moore appeared in 1998-1999. Spice Girls appeared in 1995.

Saskia:

Political personas: In case you're interested, the Greek Prime Minister was Andreas Papandreou (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

Show business: Madonna, Jon Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Kevin Costner (The Bodyguard in 1992). 1994 is the year 'Friends' began.

That's all I can think of. Hope I helped!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were around in 1993... but you would only know them if you were a kid and had the Disney channel. They, along with Justin Timberlake, were on MMC, or the New Mickey Mouse Club, in 93-94. It was only after the show ended that everyone started getting their big recording contracts.

Other MMC alumnis? Kerri Russell (actress), JC Chasez (another member of NSync), and Rhona Bennett (member of En Vogue).

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
goofy The other names are of better use, so I'll have to see where they fit in.

Thank you all for the great responses. I have no idea what I'd do without your help! notworthy

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard