Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I've recently been reading Yvonne Connell's Fear of Discovery series, and it got me thinking about the whole alternate universe thing, with altClark looking for his Lois.

Has anyone ever done a story (or wants to?) along these lines:

AltClark has met Lois, become Superman, gone to help Lois and Clark, and returned to his own universe. He's discovered altLois' history (disappearance and presumed death) and is obsessed with finding her. Perry's searched for her without luck, etc...

In between his own obligations (as Superman, and I guess as a reporter), he begins to search for her. His method? He goes to the Congo and surrounding areas, and "listens" for her heartbeat. (I remember from the show or from the fics, that Clark knows her heartbeat, and this altClark would have heard Lois' heartbeat.) It's a slow process. He goes back to the area many times.

Meanwhile, altLois has survived, but (surprise!) has amnesia. Maybe she'd been in a missionary hospital for awhile, then recovered enough to leave it. With no memory, and presumably no easy way to leave the area, she has forged a life locally. Maybe she writes, or works in some business in one of the small towns,... but she has been living there, speaking the language, making friends, etc., with no thought to leave.

Anyway, altClark finds her. Then he has to convince her that she is, in fact, Lois Lane, and has a life to return to in Metropolis. He needs to find a way to restore her memories. Etc...

If no such idea has been explored yet-- I don't think I myself could flesh this idea out well enough to give it justice. (Besides, MLT warned us not to rework love scenes in your head while driving, so I had to stop thinking about this.) It needs a Wendy or a Yvonne, or one of you other very talented people, to bring it to life.

Anyone?

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, first off, it's very nice indeed to open up a thread to discover that someone's reading one (or more) of your stories. smile1

Second, so far as I know, no-one's written this specific premise, although there have been many stories which have used just about all the different elements of your idea. I think there are quite a few stories where altClark finds altLois, but she's not how he imagined her, for whatever reason.

Personally, I'm probably all written-out so far as 'finding-altLois-and-fixing-her' stories are concerned. What does strike me about your premise is that if altLois is perfectly happy in her new life, altClark might face a dilemma as to whether he should even tell her she used to be someone else or not. I'd think he'd have to spend a lot of time getting to know her before he was able to make the right choice for her - and even that seems a little presumptious, doesn't it? What right has he, a total stranger, to make decisions about altLois's life? Actually, come to think of it, the working through of his dilemma would be the most interesting part to write - for me, at least. I'd probably stop at the point where he made his choice <eg>. That said, I've already written an altClark getting to know an amnesiac altLois before he tells her who she really is, so even that part wouldn't be entirely new territory for me.

But who knows? Story ideas are strange things - they mingle, divide and multiply in your subconscious, until one day they pop into your consciousness, fully formed and raring to go. laugh

Yvonne

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
What does strike me about your premise is that if altLois is perfectly happy in her new life, altClark might face a dilemma as to whether he should even tell her she used to be someone else or not. I'd think he'd have to spend a lot of time getting to know her before he was able to make the right choice for her - and even that seems a little presumptious, doesn't it? What right has he, a total stranger, to make decisions about altLois's life?
Hmmm. So I suppose she could be more resigned than happy with her current life, since she has no memories... Your take on it seems more interesting, though.

However,
Actually, come to think of it, the working through of his dilemma would be the most interesting part to write - for me, at least. I'd probably stop at the point where he made his choice <eg>.
So IF you (or someone else) were to actually write this sort of story, I could presumably be blamed goofy for the way it would end, huh?

By the way, I really enjoyed your series. I thought it was very believeable and very well done. I especially enjoyed the part where the two Loises and the two Clarks are all together for the first time. It was pretty funny! Their reactions to each other made sense. I suppose you wouldn't necessarily like everything about you if you met yourself face to face for the first time... (my brain's going numb on that thought). goofy

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard