Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143780 03/27/04 05:37 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hello there, seasoned fanfic writers and betas...
I've been working on a fic for quite some time (agh! 5 months!), and while it has quite a bit of dark or adult themes, I've been trying to keep it below PG-13 (in other words, it's not nfic and I'd like to keep it that way).
I'm uncomfortable using "bad words" myself, generally--but in one point of my story, I think I need to use one--it would be pretty powerful, I think. And it would be used in good taste.
Obviously I'd never use the f-word or anything worse than that in a PG-13 fic. I'm just curious which words pass in a PG-13 fic. Is there a list? Or a website or something? Or a general rule of thumb? I am sure I've seen b*st*rd before on the archives, and that is the word I was specifically thinking to use.
Sorry if this is inappropriate to talk about here... If it's easier, someone could e-mail me privately about this. (loislane216@yahoo.com)
Thanks a lot!
-Wanda " help " Detroit

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#143781 03/27/04 06:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Wanda smile

This is something I have to deal with a lot in my capacity as Archive GE. Obviously, as you're aware, some words/phrases are completely unacceptable, but there are others which are okay provided they're used sparingly - and by 'sparingly', I mean I'd probably be okay with two or three at most uses of the word you mention in a very long story; one at most in a short story. You're right; the word is in fics on the Archive, but within the kind of constraints I've mentioned here.

When you submit your story to the Archive, of course, your GE will help you with any ratings issues and won't let anything get past which isn't allowed on the Archive. wink As far as these boards are concerned, if you're worried about specific words/phrases/descriptions and want some advice before posting, you could always email the Fanfic Forum moderators.

Hope this helps.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#143782 03/29/04 03:19 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Adding to this so I don't have to start a whole new thread. What about the B-word? Ya know, the female doggy word. goofy I have a scene where I need it a few times. I've seen it on the archive before, though I haven't seen it used more than once in a story. There should be a list. Honestly. I prefer not to wait until a GE sees it, because it'll be a long time before they do...

Wendy? Or anyone?

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143783 03/29/04 03:55 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
A long time ago, in a universe far far away wink I did a post on this subject, though I needed a warning that the post went beyond PG-13. After all, how can you say what you can't say, if you can't say it? <g>

But I think the short answer is that if you are worried about a word, you should probably use it sparingly. After all, if it's making you pause and question, it will probably do the same to the readers.

In your case, Julie, I think your instincts are right on the word you are questioning -- it's been used a few times on the Archive, but generally in small doses and in more "serious" stories. So again, my advice would be to consider the context and the mood of your story, and make your decision from there. (Though if you really find yourself blocked because you need to know if a section would need to be toned down, perhaps you could request the assistance of a GE to give you a read on it -- ask on the MB, for example, if a GE would be willing to give you a few minutes via email to let you know if a paragraph/word would be over the line.) But I wouldn't let it hold up your writing -- either include it or rephrase it, whichever you feel most comfortable with, then just keep going! You can always come back to edit later, either before submission or after.

Kathy (who, as a matter of personal opinion, thinks that swear words don't usually "fit" with L&C stories because there was next to no swearing on the show. However, if you really think it's needed, you can often get around using specific words by saying "He cursed under his breath" or "He let out a string of expletitives", etc. smile )

#143784 03/29/04 08:45 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There should be a list. Honestly. I prefer not to wait until a GE sees it, because it'll be a long time before they do...
I think a list of proscribed words would be counterproductive, Julie. Much better, I think, to treat each story on its own merits and as an individual case than have a rigid list.

And, as you've proved yourself, no need to wait until you submit your story to the Archive and a GE - you can always ask here on the mbs before posting your story and someone will have the answer for you. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#143785 03/29/04 10:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with Rat - while there are some words/phrases which are always unacceptable for the Archive, there are others which are fine in some circumstances but not others (eg breast, which could be used in a variety of contexts and not always the one which first comes to mind), and others which are just about acceptable in very small doses (eg the example Wanda asked about in the first post on the thread).

And sometimes it's perfectly innocuous words, but the context makes them completely unacceptable! eek

Take my word for it: as someone who has GEd plenty of nfic to PG-13 conversions, and also converted some of my own stories, it's nothing near as simple as having a list I could consult - I wish!! goofy

But, as both Kathy and LabRat have said, if you have a specific query, just ask; you'll find several of us able and willing to help. smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#143786 03/30/04 01:24 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd add that, as Kathy pointed out, there is almost no bad language in the show itself and not that much in fanfic either, so this means that if a character *does* swear, and does so in the right place, it can be tremendously effective and powerful. Less is undoubtedly more - which means that Wendy's rule of thumb regarding quantity actually has the pleasant knock-on effect of improving your story too. laugh

Yvonne
(who still to this day remembers the first time she heard her Dad swear because he did it so rarely - utterly scared the pants off me <g>)

#143787 03/30/04 03:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I try to be as vague as I can, but the swearing is not done by neither Lois or Clark.

In your case, Julie, I think your instincts are right on the word you are questioning -- it's been used a few times on the Archive, but generally in small doses and in more "serious" stories.
Just ask my BR, is doesn't get much more serious than that. Maybe the topic I chose for my first attempt at a long story is pretty heavy, but you know, ideas haunt you more than ghosts. goofy

If anyone can take a look at that section, it'd be more than great. I fear nagging, but maybe I'm just flattering myself. wink If someone has the time, I'd be more than grateful. notworthy

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143788 03/30/04 03:41 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by YConnell:
I'd add that, as Kathy pointed out, there is almost no bad language in the show itself and not that much in fanfic either, so this means that if a character *does* swear, and does so in the right place, it can be tremendously effective and powerful.
Yes, Yvonne--That is exactly what I want the word to do! My thoughts exactly. *grin* Thank you for mentioning it, and if I do it right in my story, that's the reaction I really, really want.

-Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard