Print Thread
#143722 03/22/04 05:14 AM
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
Piggy-backing on Beverly's intergang post, I'd like to discuss the female villains because some of them are really interesting.

Personally, I liked ones like Tony Taylor and Antoinette Baines who were intelligent women who used their brains in order to get what they wanted. They just ignored the laws and, in Antoinette's case" she was capable of murder. She would have been an interesting comparison to Lex since she was as ruthless and as amoral as he.

Tony seemed to want to achieve success and I believe that although she was very capable of conducting illegitimate business, she was not that easy about murder. Or were was I just seeing her through Clark's eyes?

Other female villains like Miranda, MIndy, and Myrtle (do they all begin with the letter M?) were over the top and I can't take them that seriously.

I think that Lois and Clark needed a female villain who was as interesting as Lex.

And do you think that there could be a female villain who Clark could have found attractive, one who could have duped him the way Lex duped Lois?

gerry

#143723 03/22/04 05:25 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooh, fascinating idea, Gerry! I see a fanfic looming... wink

Trouble is, I think Clark is better equipped to see through the false charms of a female criminal than Lois ever was with Luthor. Also, would the qualities that Clark finds attractive in a woman sit well with a criminal persona? I'm not sure, but I'll be fascinated to see what others think.

Yvonne

#143724 03/22/04 06:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I personally think that Clark was "nearly" duped by Tony Taylor.

And with a little ingredient of imagination, if Mayson Drake was criminally inclined, as Lois believed, I'm sure Clark would have been fooled for atleast a short while.

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#143725 03/22/04 07:31 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
And with a little ingredient of imagination, if Mayson Drake was criminally inclined, as Lois believed, I'm sure Clark would have been fooled for at least a short while.
Oh, most definitely. My question about Intergang and Mindy came about because I'm currently, ah, auditioning female villains laugh and let's face it there aren't all that many good, bad or rather believable ones on L&C. I've always thought Mayson would make a delicious female villain when you get right down to it. I don't think it would take all that much imagination either and I've seriously considered allowing her to stay alive to become one. Whether or not to use Mayson as head of Intergang is the question. That almost seems too obvious and there's also a lot about Mindy that's appealing in that particular position. What makes a villain Mayson appealing to me, though, isn't how she might or might not be able to fool Clark or even Lois to some extent for that matter but the established fact that she was so anti-Superman from the get-go. There HAS to be a reason for that that could be exploited in either an ambiguous or downright blatantly devious way.

And what is it with all the Ms?

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#143726 03/22/04 07:54 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Trouble is, I think Clark is better equipped to see through the false charms of a female criminal than Lois ever was with Luthor.
I disagree. Not only was Clark almost duped by Toni Taylor he (and Perry) rushed to Mindy's defense when Lois was badmouthing her in "Home is Where the Hurt Is" I believe?

I think Clark would be just as blind to competent female villainess whom he found attractive as Lois was to Lex.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#143727 03/22/04 11:56 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
My personal favorite to use in fics was/is Ariana Carlin.

Her professional gloss of education and sophistication was the perfect disguise for the scheming, amoral, wench that she was. It's too bad that the series decided to expose her after only one episode. I think she had some potential for true evil greatness.

Tank (who got real tired of Mindy's 'dumb bimbo' routine)

#143728 03/22/04 12:02 PM
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
I read somewhere (probably Zoom's boards) that Mayson was supposed to be a villain, but the PTB decided to use her as a foil to Lois.

I've always thought Mayson would make a delicious female villain when you get right down to it.
Mayson is in a good position to be a villain. First she worked for Church so she could have learned a lot from him. Next, she worked for the DAs office which gave her a lot of inside information. I could see her as the next head of intergang.

Also, Beverly makes a good point when she says
the established fact that she was so anti-Superman from the get-go.
I always wondered why Mayson disliked Superman :rolleyes: I never thought that she might be afraid of what he could find out. Oh well. I missed the boat this time.

But what I like most about Mayson (and about Tony and Antoinette) was her obvious intelligence and strong character.

I've just realized that except for Myrtle, all the female villains were blonde. What colour hair did Ariana have? I guess I should let my hairdresser know goofy

gerry

#143729 03/23/04 02:42 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Gerry is remembering right ... Mayson Drake was originally supposed to be Mayson Edge, daughter of the crime boss (Intergang), Morgan Edge. (Edge is a long-time villain from the comics. Those of you who watch Smallville will recognize the character as being used there, as well.)

My understanding of the original idea was that Mayson and Clark were supposed to become romantically involved, at least for a time, and that Clark was not going to realize immediately that Mayson was a villain. The plot was changed, however, and Mayson became a good ADA instead of a corrupt one, and the name of the episode was changed from "Edge of Metropolis" to "Church of Metropolis".

Kathy

#143730 03/23/04 08:28 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Gerry is remembering right ... Mayson Drake was originally supposed to be Mayson Edge, daughter of the crime boss (Intergang), Morgan Edge. (Edge is a long-time villain from the comics. Those of you who watch Smallville will recognize the character as being used there, as well.)
Ewww.

Well, since I'm not all that familiar with the comics anyway and I really don't feel up inventing an new character, at least not for this, if I do decide to use Mayson I just might have to give her a new last name that's little more well-known on L&C and not the one that starts with "L" either. dizzy

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#143731 03/23/04 08:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard some one named Elana likes him. If she's protecting him she might make a good villian.
evil

TEEEJ

#143732 03/23/04 10:10 AM
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
Of course, staying with this thread, has anyone else ever wondered why Tempus never had his own female foil to play off of? Not counting Lois, I mean. I mean the poor guy really needed a calming feminine influence.
Tempus is a very strong villain with his own unique sense of style and sense of humour. I think that any female counterpart would be upstaged by him.

In fact, the only real villain couple I can think of is Tim and Amber Lake. Both are weak villains in my opinion. I was watching DTOSC the other day because I'm using them in a new fic. I found that they played off each other, but they weren't that interesting as villains or characters. Yuck! But they make my A-plot work so I'm stuck with them. dizzy

gerry

#143733 03/23/04 05:45 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I personally found Mindy's bimbo act rather tiring though I guess in a way it worked because Mindy had everyone duped even her husband and stepson. Toni Taylor I found to be a good female villian because she was a combination of both brains and beauty and I will agree with you that perhaps Clark was a little duped by her too at least until he discovered what was really going on. I think that in regards to Mayson that Lois was being a little harsh on Clark especially when she says that Mayson is dirty because of her association with Bill Church given the fact that she herself was duped completely by Lex when all around her suspected that there was more to him than the philantropist he made himself out to be. I remember also that Clark was the one who pieced together Jack Olsen's involvement with the NIA after he discovered those hidden weapons and other evidence. I think that from the beginning that Clark suspected that there was more to Jack Olsen than the Civil Engineer he said he was. So perhaps if there was a female villian like Clark Kent I'd think he'd back off the moment he realised that there was more to her than met the eye.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#143734 03/31/04 09:17 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Back to Ariana Carlin...
I agree with Tank that she was one of the best(and am I the only one who thinks she looks a lot like Stockard Channing?) And how come it seemed as though we never really caught a glimpse of Mayson's personality besides her Clark/Superman issues?

[Lucius is trying to get his wife to tell him wear his Super suit is in 'The Incredibles']
Lucius Best: This is about the greater good!
Honey Best: I'm your wife! I'm the greatest good you're ever going to get!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard