Next Thread
Print Thread
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
I have three unrelated fanfic questions to ask.

1. I need the location of a ferry crossing, somewhere in North America. Deep water and waves would be helpful.

2. I need the name of a rap song and artist from 1994 or earlier.

3. What kind of farm work could Martha be doing in the barn that isn't necessarily be considered "woman's work"? And would there be a bale of hay in this barn?

Thanks for your help
gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A quick Google search brought me some rappers, Gerry - from a music awards in 1992: D C Scorpio; DJ Kool. Better-known, perhaps, was Snoop Doggy Dogg (another Google search goofy ).

Good luck!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Blogger
Blogger
I have the rap song for you. "Regulate" by Nate Dogg and Warren G (1993-4). First song to begin the G Funk Era. A really great song, even for those who don't like rap, and it is beloved by those who do.

Sorry I don't know about fairies and barn work!

Golden Gopher Hockey: NCAA Back to Back Champs!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There's a ferry crossing between Bar Harbour, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. I was sea sick the whole way. frown

c.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Really big rap songs (both gangsta and just party rap) I remember from the 93-94 era are:

Whatta Man, Salt-N-Pepa
Fantastic Voyage, Coolio
Shoop, Salt-N-Pepa
Whoomp! (There It Is), Tag Team
Gin And Juice, Snoop Doggy Dogg
Nuthin' But A "G" Thang, Dr. Dre
Hip Hop Hooray, Naughty By Nature

As well as the aforementioned "Regulate".

About the ferries, what about the
Long Island Ferry
?

Finally, I don't know anything about farm chores but on "Smallville" Jonathan also uses part of the barn as a toolshed and to fix up farm machinery.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
3. What kind of farm work could Martha be doing in the barn that isn't necessarily be considered "woman's work"? And would there be a bale of hay in this barn?
Since no one has tackled this one, I'll give it a shot. My first thought is to ask if you actually mean stable instead of barn because around here - western Kentucky - there is a BIG distinction between what people think of when they hear barn or stable, although that's not always true everywhere. Barn here means a building used mostly for housing equipment and/or farm produce/products. Stable, OTOH, is an extremely specialized barn for housing animals that's earned its own name. And a horse stable is the most specialized of them all. Just about any stable, though, is likely to have hay as well as some bedding straw in it year-round both stored in haylofts above the stalls as well as simply laying around because a square straw bale makes a great place to take a break.

Even though most general/multi-purpose barns share common features, they can also be specialized to some extent according to what's grown in the region. (I've never quite figured out what Jonathan and Martha actually grow so there you'd probably need to ask someone familiar with Kansas agriculture.) What's currently stored in barns, meaning equipment or produce, will definitely vary according to the season, i.e. whether that crop is currently being grown or in storage. But remember, fundamentally a barn and even a stable is nothing more than a large storage building so just about ANYTHING can find its way into one as needed, including those odd bales of hay or straw that might not fit into the stable loft.

Anyway, in an actual barn, an individual could be working on anything from servicing equipment to sorting out or storing produce. Or, if you're really talking about a stable situation, the individual could be feeding or generally caring for animals or cleaning tack or other livestock equipment. The list is pretty infinite and NONE of it is considered either man's or woman's work and hasn’t been for a long, long time. Think pioneer spirit and trust me on this. Farm work is usually a matter of whoever is around and knows how to do it WHEN it needs to be done. Crops and animals wait for no MAN, believe me. laugh

More than you wanted to know, I know. wink

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
Thank you very much. That was very helpful and will get me through some of the gaps I have in my fic (which I'm now beginning to believe that I may finish).

I do have another question, but just in case this thread ends here, I'll start a new one.

Thanks again,
gerry

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Finally, I don't know anything about farm chores but on "Smallville" Jonathan also uses part of the barn as a toolshed and to fix up farm machinery.
I just noticed this comment when rereading the thread and thought I'd throw something else out because it just occurred to me. I've never been quite sure what that building was on L&C that they were always doing something in, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say it was definitely a toolshed or even a small machinery workshop. Possibly attached to the side of a barn or stable but not necessarily. What's confusing about the one on the series is that I was never sure if it was supposed to be the same building each time because they used it for such a wide variety of things.

When Clark has his babbling spell in THAT OLD GANG OF MINE, I think, I'm pretty sure Martha was putting canned goods on shelves. That always struck me as odd because I wouldn't think they'd be storing family food on an established farm in anything other than a below-ground cellar in Kansas and yet I distinctly remember a window in that scene. It might not have been but it sure looked like that same building being used yet again. Talk about multi-purpose. smile

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hi Gerry: I'm a little late getting in on this. Usually family farms have multi-purpose barns that house machinery, animals and animal feed. If I recall correctly, the Kents had at least one cow, so Martha could be milking her and there could be hay bales around for feed. I think the Kents also had chickens, so she could be getting chicken feed for them or fertilizer for her vegetable garden.

As for the Ferry crossing, depends on the size of the ferry and which part ot the country. We have ferries going from the mainland to several of the San Juan Islands and from Anacortes, WA to Victoria, BC. There are also small ferries that move from island to island. The one CCM mentioned, from Maine to Nova Scotia, crosses an area noted for huge fluctuations in tides that could create a lot of churning. I've been hanging over the side in a small boat, myself, while passing between two islands when the tide was going one way, the wind was blowing another, and waves were caroming back and forth from land mass to land mass produing a stomach-emptying yawing and bouncing.

Hope that helps.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard