Print Thread
#142770 01/05/04 05:04 PM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
Just a quick question I'm hoping some FoLC can answer for me...

If I recall correctly, in I'm Looking Through You Clark agrees to license Superman merchandise provided that the money goes to charity. Does this mean that he expects *all* the proceeds to go to charity, or just his royalties, or what? Or can I interpret it however I want?

Thanks!
Kaylle smile

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I would assume he means all profits. Some of the proceeds will have to be used to pay for labor, rent for factory space, etc. There is no way all of the proceeds could go to charity unless some benefactor was paying for the costs and they didn't say anything about that. I assumed it would be self-sustaining. But I would think that 100% of the profit would go to charity.

Anni

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i'd say you'd have some flexibility. clark would want all proceeds to go to charity, but i'm not sure if that would really work. i mean, how many companies would make superman stuff if they couldn't make any money off it? personally, i'd assume that it would just be royalties. that is, the superman foundation grants the liscense at their discretion (through murray, with clark himself making the major/iffy decisions) and clark's contractually specified share of the profits goes to the foundation (i think there was a foundation set up, but i don't remember if there was an official mention of that or if i just read it in a fic and assumed that it was right) which then deducts its own operating fees, if any, and donates the money.

all we know for sure, tho, is what's in the script:

They turn to see Murray Brown standing there, holding a document.

MURRAY (CONT'D)
You want it in writing, right?
Here's the emmis. World wide
merchandising rights. I'm
talkin' movies, I'm talkin'
miniseries, I'm talkin' music
videos, I'm talkin' comic books,
I'm talkin, action figures. But,
you call the shots. Quality
control is Murray Brown's middle
name. You don't like it, we
don't do it. How can you turn
down a deal like that?

SUPERMAN
I can't.

LOIS
(aghast)
You can't?

SUPERMAN
But, all proceeds go to charity.

MURRAY
Great touch.

Superman starts to fly. Murray calls after him, suddenly
concerned.

MURRAY (CONT'D)
That wouldn't include my
commission, would it?
and that's the end of the scene.

like i said, clark wants all proceeds to go to charity, but, in the end, that's not necessarily how it would work out. (darn that pesky reality! wink ) he might not even know that if he didn't check up on the details too much.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, it could even mean 'all profits', with a bit of careful accounting. wink Profit is what's left once all costs have been deducted... but who decides what the costs are? Suppliers of parts/components/consumables will still be paid their normal price, perhaps with a 'goodwill' discount. Workers will still be paid. Managers will still be paid.

Companies can still make profit out of 'non-profit' items, simply by careful presentation of costs.

But apart from that, in this situation Superman merchandise is probably not the only thing the company is making. So even if it was not possible to make 'hidden' profits on a Superman doll, it wouldn't hurt the company too much to make little or no profits on that given they'd be making lots of profit on the rest of their range. Add to that the great PR and the possibility that customers will move on from the Superman merchandise to their Power Ranger stuff wink and it would certainly pay for a company to get involved in 'not for profit' Superman merchandise.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
Thanks, guys! I was leaning toward the royalties idea, since, like Paul, I figured no one would want to manufacture Superman merchandise if they couldn't make any money at all on it. But it's good to hear there are some other interpretations, and I have some flexibility to work with. I'm not sure which way I'll end up going just yet, but you all have given me lots to think about smile

Thanks!!
Kaylle (going back to pretending to write <g>)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard