Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142761 01/05/04 04:13 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
The Greeks (Aristotle, most importantly) were the first to analyze the structures of plots and their ideas have influenced writers over the centuries. Another way to look at it is that plots have evolved this way because writers write for readers, and it seems that readers generally like plots that develop as follows:

I EXPOSITION (introduction stage)

The EXPOSITION introduces or exposes the reader to the beginning "facts" of the story: the who of CHARACTER, the when and where of SETTING, the opening MOOD or atmosphere, the ideas of THEME, the window of viewpoint and any additional details or actions that prepare the reader to understand the plot. Often expository details act as clues or hints about what will happen next. Such clues are called FORESHADOWING.

II COMPLICATION (conflict or problem stage, rising action)

The COMPLICATION stage introduces and develops the story's CONFLICT or problem. CONFLICT is when two opposing forces meet. There are two ways that conflict is typically classified:

A.
Conflict may be distinguished by whether the source of the conflict is inside or outside the character. The terms for this are INTERNAL or EXTERNAL conflict.

B.
Conflict can be classified by the type of antagonistic force. Standard conflicts are: Human VS Human, Human VS Self, Human VS Nature, Human VS Beast (machine), or Human VS Society. Obviously, a character may have more than one conflict at a time.

C.
In addition, the first event that introduces the conflict is called the PRECIPITATING INCIDENT. Once the conflict is clear, it is followed by a SERIES OF INCIDENTS that serve to heighten the tension by complicating the problem. This period of escalating conflict is called the RISING ACTION.

III TURNING POINT (solution stage, falling action)

This is where the plot turns toward a RESOLUTION of the CONFLICT. This stage is referred to in two different ways, depending on the situation:

A.
CLIMAX: The CLIMAX is the moment of greatest suspense, the moment when the story's plot "turns" and begins moving towards a resolution. The Greeks called this moment CRISIS.

B.
EPIPHANY: An EPIPHANY is when a character has a sudden realization or insight into the nature of his conflict. This new understanding causes the plot to "turn" from conflict to resolution. This modern term was coined by James Joyce to describe the resolutions in his short story collection Dubliners.

IV RESOLUTION (falling action, catastrophe, denouement)

In this stage the plot's conflict is resolved. In a TRAGEDY, where the hero self-destructs and destroys others, there are sometimes scenes that suggest that the final disaster or CATASTROPHE may be avoided. Such a scene is called the MOMENT OF FINAL SUSPENSE.

Also, as a tragic or sad plot moves toward its final resolution, RELIEF SCENES may occur which give the reader an emotional break, suggest the passage of time, or that present necessary information.

Lastly, if the final scene includes an ingenious "untying of the knot" that both resolves the conflict and reveals secrets and eliminates misunderstandings, then it is called the DENOUEMENT.

But there is another possibility, structurally speaking. Novellas are sometimes
structured without rising action in the classic (causal / elegeic) manner, leading to a moment of crisis. Novellas are sometimes built as a series of revelations, recognitions or epiphanies -- beginning with smaller recognitions
and growing larger until we reach the final AHA! moment. In romance, of course, the final epiphany would be the recognition that this other person is your one true love. And the plot, then, would consist of moments of greater and greater emotional awareness leading up to that final recognition.

* Plot Structure

** Post by TStevens on Brainstorming email loop

In studying plot structure and then looking back at my own writing, I find that the majority of my fanfiction falls into the latter structure -- a series of events, with perhaps an epiphany or revelation (literally or figuratively) and then the AHA! moment that's referenced.

So you think fanfiction in general tends to follow this more than the Aristotlean form?

Also, do you think that fanfic writers tend to skimp on descriptive details (the characters' physical looks, their clothing, where they live, etc) because we are so familiar with the show we assume everyone else is too and therefore skip these details? I know I'm guilty of it and it's an area in non-fanfiction that I have to work on.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#142762 01/06/04 12:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Marilyn, for posting this. smile
So you think fanfiction in general tends to follow this more than the Aristotlean form?
Also, do you think that fanfic writers tend to skimp on descriptive details (the characters' physical looks, their clothing, where they live, etc) because we are so familiar with the show we assume everyone else is too and therefore skip these details?
-----------

Well, I don't feel comfortable discussing fanfic in general, but yes, I'd say so. I know whenever I've written anything, I just ramble on and so there's not much of a structure at all, plus there are usually two endings. <g> The 'epilogue' is such a handy device. laugh

Descriptive details are another thing. Some of our writers are so enjoyable to read partly because of their use of descriptive details to set a scene or describe an action. They make you feel that you are there - all we readers are voyeurs, I think. smile

But, yes, the details are often briefer for the main characters or those settings with which we're familiar - merely a word or to two to suggest what we already know. This is one of the most difficult apsects of writing fanfic because the writer needs to avoid stating the obvious and yet also has to make us feel that it's 'Lois and Clark' we're reading about, and not two people who just happen to have the same names as our characters do. It's the Daily Planet, and not some other newsroom, it's Clark's apartment, etc.

Your post reminded me of something Sheila Harper posted a few years ago on the structure of writing TV scripts. I used to look at it when I was writing and think - ok, now this story is going to have some structure. But then I would lose it around page 5.<g>

The middle part of a stroy is a messy thing to write.

C.

#142763 01/06/04 03:59 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
The middle part of a stroy is a messy thing to write.
I've often heard it referred to as the "sagging middle" and there are books, articles and even workshops on how to get rid of the sag. Haven't read those yet. laugh

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#142764 01/06/04 07:50 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fascinating article, Marilyn. Thanks for posting it. smile

As for your question, I think there's no definite answer. Imho (and I could be wrong), short stories (say, below 100kb) tend to follow the latter structure, because there is less conflict introduced and they're mostly romance (in the Lois and Clark fandom, that is), whereas longer stories, and even more so epics, are closer to the Aristotle structure. Very often, they follow a traditional narrative structure, with an initial situation, a conflict that throws said-situation off balance, additional conflicts that are usually consequences of the initial conflict, a climax, an epiphany and a denouement. At least that's my own perception of how many long fanfics are written, though I doubt authors do it consciously.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#142765 01/06/04 09:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I know that reading & writing fanfic have made me a lot more aware of things like plot structure. And I do keep that somewhere in the back of my mind when I'm writing, so it's at least semi-conscious.

As for the sagging middle -- yeah, been there, wrestled with that! Generally, I fill it in with a-plot elements, with the b-plot carefully timed to coincide, so that they both get to the place where I need them for my ending <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#142766 01/08/04 05:53 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Interesting topic.

Of course, in television writing, and fanfic too, I think there is another important element not mentioned by your quotation: The Hook.

The Hook is that exciting opening that ensures readers/viewers will watch your show, or read your story.

And of course, when writing in installments, as many here do, it also helps to build in a bit of a cliffhanger at the end of each chapter. The suspense doesnt have to be huge, but I think the best stories do have this structure. This little peaks on the way to the end add momentum.
Regarding skipping details - I think this is a good idea. With regular characters you can assume some knowledge. I think Being "in" on stuff adds enjoyment to the other fans.
What does everyone else think?

#142767 01/08/04 06:19 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
True, a good hook is very important. A lot of people, when they're ambivalent about whether or not to read a story, will open the file and scan the first screen or two... and if their attention is not caught, they'll close the file again.

Also, I've got a book on writing* that says *every* scene ought to end on a disaster -- some dramatic set-back or twist, that will keep the reader intrigued rather than giving him/her a good stopping point. That's not as big as a full-fledged cliffhanger, but it's the same idea. Always leave them wanting more.

PJ
*the book is called "The 38 most common fiction writing mistakes -- and how to avoid them" by Jack Bickham. It's a fun read smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#142768 01/08/04 02:42 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
You guys just brought me right back into English class. We actually got a hand out a few days ago with Shakespeare's spacific plot structures.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#142769 01/08/04 11:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And they said the Internet wasn't educational! goofy

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard