Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#142322 11/30/03 07:41 PM
Jana Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thought I'd post this before I go to bed because I'm afraid I will forget in the morning. Since the 1st is BR appreciate day, I just want to say thank you to my wonderful BR's. Believe me, if I were to post without a BR, it would be a scary situation. Thankfully, I have a couple wonderful BR's that help me fine tune things before anyone else sees a story.

I've worked with several wonderful BR's in my time, but I have to say a special thanks to Carol Malo and to Saskia. The words they both put up with from me most often are "I haven't written anything new in awhile." or something like that. But still, whenever I manage to send them a piece of a fic, they are quick to help. Their insightful comments often help me see things in a new light, and never fail to make whatever it is I'm writing better.

I first worked with Carol when she was my GE for Shattered nearly two years ago. (Believe me, she had her work cut out for her, Shattered was my first attempt at writing fanfic and it wasn't pretty!) wink After all the work she put into helping me make Shattered archive worthy, I was pleasantly surprised when she offered to BR my next story.

Saskia and I were first paired when we both were working on writing something for Anna's birthday, since then, we've stuck together. She has this great ability of pointing out things I never considered.

I've also worked with many other BR's in the short two years since I discovered fanfic, and each one helped me to write a better story in one way or another.

And then, there are great BR's that I haven't had the opportunity to work with, but they have helped other authors along the way and I've erad the stories. So to each of you who spend time reading through a story, trying to help the author make it better, thanks.

Again, to Carol and Saskia, thank you. Your help on the fics I write is more important to me than either of you realize! thumbsup

Jana (who really is going to bed now!)

P.S. LOL I just have to say that I spelled appreciation wrong when I first posted this. Goes to show just how valuable a BR really is...

"Don't you people have lives?!?" ~Joe on Wings

"An eternal, burning flame. Hope lives on and love remains." ~from Love Remains, by Collin Raye
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Here's 3 cheers for the Betas! Without you guys, the grammar in my fics would be terrible. goofy I really appreciate the time that you guys have put in over the last couple of years, especially since it's not something you have to do.

JD

[Linked Image]

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, seems words suddenly fail me... Can't help it, I know I'm a BR nightmare!

But I also think that what makes BRs so special is that, besides their superabilities when it comes to spelling, typos, grammar, useful and accurate comments and, eventually nagging, they strongly believe in the writer(s) they're taking care of.

So, toAnna BtG and Saskia, but also LabRat, all the GE and patented Boards Readers (masters in the art of nagging and throwing comments)... Thanks for believing in me.

Carole smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
How I wish I had been as clever as MLT -but then who is - to come up with a really good BR related fic!

Instead I can only offer my heartfelt thanks to Labrat, who after teaching me what a BR does, agreed to be mine. And who now, fic-related or not, still responds to my emails filled with random thoughts. Her sharp eyes and clever ideas have pulled me out of many a trap I was unknowningly laying for myself.

And to Sherry, whose casual "anytime you'd like an additional BR..." landed her 100 pages in her lap that very day. Which she handled with aplomb, and wasn't afraid to use the term "Fix this!", as she helped me wrestle an ending to my last story that I actually liked.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine posting without these eagle-eyed readers. And am so grateful for their encouragement and dedication!

Thank you both very much,

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Columnist
Columnist
Being as the muse is still vacationing in parts unknown, I will use this forum to thank my wonderful beta-readers as well.

First off, I would not have written so many fics if it hadn't been for Jenni Debbage. She's inspired me to write many things I never thought I would. And she's fixed everything else! Jenni has also become a very good friend over the last couple of years. I'd be lost without her! Thanks, Jenni.

At one point Jenni had trouble keeping up with how fast I was writing. Avia gladly stepped in to help out. She's very detail oriented and I've had to rewrite a great deal of text when she nagged me in a different direction. Thanks, Avia. It's what was needed!

Another beta that's helped me out a few times is Sw(sorry, that's the only thing I know her by). She's read over several fics and pointed out little details for me that I've missed. Thanks, Sw.

And thanks to anyone else who's helped me along the way. Carol and Laurie, who are currently helping out with a project, have been wonderful! Also, thanks to anyone who agrees to tackle this job. It proves their passion for fanfic. Without you beta-readers we'd be lost! thumbsup

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I appreciate beta readers! I like to think my writing's improved in the last eight years, and a large part of that has been due to all those kind and patient souls who've corrected my grammar and pointed out plot holes.

Erin, sorry to make you type [DELETE COMMA] so often goofy And thanks for being so enthusiastic about my fluff stories -- that really helps keep me motivated.

Wendy, you've been great, mostly with characterizations and b-plots, but with lots of other stuff, too... you've helped me out a lot, probably more times than you know -- even when we were fighting goofy

Irene, I will always remember the time you made a casual comment that helped me figure out what was bugging me about my story, prompting a big rewrite that I was so much happier with. smile

I know there have been others along the way, and I'm grateful to each and every one of you, even if I can't remember your name right at this moment laugh Heck, I'm even grateful to the people who said they'd love to beta-read but then had to bow out as RL (not you, Roger) interfered.

Anyway... happy beta reader appeciation day! thumbsup

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've only got a few moments, so have had to jettison the very long appreciation post I was planning...but I didn't want to miss saying a very heartfelt thank you to all my betas past and present. And most especially to the most steadfast and constant of them - Kaethel. Without whom...writing would be considerably more boring. laugh

I'd also like to thank and pay tribute to the vast pool of 'unofficial' betas (gamma-readers? laugh ) right here on these mbs. I think one of the most enjoyable, entertaining and educating part of writing since I began posting in the fandom has been the dialogue I've been able to enjoy from the readers.

You guys are the best. thumbsup

LabRat smile (who thinks that dialogue with betas and gammas is what she misses most during her writing 'sabbatical' wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've only been on the fandom a few months, but even in that short amount of time, I've had some incredible people look over my stories for me. All of my fics would be drastically, drastically worse if it weren't for the betas I've been priviliged to work with.

Kaethel, you received an embarrassingly over-eager email from me, a complete greenhorn one day, took me under your wing, improved my story, got me registered both on the message boards and IRC, became one of my most valued friends, and generally made me more grateful to you than I'll ever be able to put into words... although you'll probably keep insisting that I can goofy Thank you a million times -- and apologies for all the times you had to type [repetition] <g>

Wendy, you've helped me out more times than I can count, even on the stories that you didn't beta... thank you so, so much for all the times you got me out of those holes I tend to write/talk myself into, even without me asking you to, and most of all, for all the times you corrected me on those asinine Irish colloquialisms that tend to pop into my speech/writing every now and again blush Go raibh míle, míle maith agat, mo chara wink

LabRat, words can't express how valuable you are, both as a friend and as a beta... wow. I mean... just wow. Your emails never fail to make me go rotflol and your clear head has gotten me out of a heck of a lot of problems... more recently, convincing me to finally start posting <g> I feel so guilty for all the times you had to type [change dash to comma]... and I'll never forget that comment you made on a particular section of Unfinished Business, that's actually in the story now :p

Nqoire, despite the trouble we had with our ISPs grumble the email finally came through, and you've been amazing. Thanks so much for your unflagging support, nagging, screams of pain, and idle threats... you're the best wink

Mom, you saved my hide on a recent story of mine... thank you so, so much for being so supportive and caring <g>

Also, a big thank you to the GE's - as a group, but especially to Erin, Lynn and Tricia - for all the hard work they put in, getting stories ready for the Archive.

And, as LabRat said... thanks to the 'gamma-readers' who are as much a part of the creative process as anybody. You guys are gems -- all of you!

Sara.

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is a great idea! Of course, we should all be thanking our beta-readers all the time - and we do, in email, on IRC, when posting stories here and in the author’s notes we include in our archived stories. But it’s a lovely idea to have a particular time in the year when we can take a deep breath and think about all the ways in which our BRs have helped us, got us out of (plot) holes, caught stupid grammatical, spelling or POV errors and generally just kept us writing.

And I do want to thank all the wonderful people who've BRed for me over the past year. Without you guys, I wouldn't even have managed to finish some of my stories, and those which were finished would have been a shadow of their completed form. You have encouraged me, nagged me (sometimes threatened me goofy ), supplied occasionally near-instant feedback on IRC, reassured me, corrected me, suggested alternative outcomes, rescued scenes which were on their way to the recycle bin and overall had almost as much input into some of my stories as I had myself. goofy

Thank you all. Long may you all survive to support unworthy authors!

Oh, and a little present for you all (okay, sorry, male Archive GEs might consider themselves not included frown ):

[Linked Image]

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ever since Annie pointed December 1st as beta-readers' day, I was planning on writing a long post to tell every BR of mine how much of a gem they are... but then today I left early, just only got home, and so despite a very (very!!!) boring maths class in the morning, I didn't get around to drafting it...

Beyond vocabulary, spelling and grammar, I seek beta-readers especially for their ability to help me through premises that seem so complicated to me that I need their external eye to tell me where I've messed up, and also when something is just right and I should not touch it. They're invaluable; their input is what guides me through stories, and I doubt I'd write much without their encouragement and very detailed feedback. Their suggestions can bring a whole new light on a story, make a scene much more interesting that it was when I first drafted it, and overall make it possible for me to get from the beginning to the end of a fanfic.

So this goes to all the people who have BRd for me in the past 5 years. To Shawn V, who, although he left the fandom, was my very first beta-reader, and made me discover things about planning out a premise that, as a novice writer, I didn't suspect at the time. To Chiara Prato and Sarah S., who got a preview of my very first attempts at writing way before I was courageous enough to post, and gave me great encouragement and support. To Yvonne Connell and Chris Carr, who BRd the first half of one of my first fanfics and gave me extremely helpful and constructive criticism. To Pam Jernigan, who helped me out of a big mess I set for myself in a story this year, and is a wonderful brainstorming partner. To JoMarch, who is a gem to find little things in a story that I, as the author, completely miss, and who helps me rework to make things better. To Jocelyn Brant, who has been helping me with a current WIP and whose comments have been invaluable. To Tracey, the Queen of Waffs, who's the best when it comes to getting some smoochies done. To Annette Ciotola, the wonderful (yes she is!!!) beta-reader with emphasis on *reader*, who is always ready to give me her opinion on what I wrote, provides awesome encouragement, and is a rock of support. And last but not least, to my three most regular BRs, who have always been there and are the shoulders I constantly lean on: LabRat, Elena and Wendy Richards. I probably wouldn't write without the support and help you always give me, so thanks a thousand times for what you do. smile

Thank you all!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Although I am a recent entry into the writer's category, I would also like to express my thanks and greatest appreciation for the people who have beta'ed for me.

For my first major story, Missy and Shelley were absolutely wonderful. They put up with my constant changes while they were still reviewing parts of the story. Anyone who could put up with that deserves special kudos. Their comments helped to vastly improve my story.

Also for my very latest story, KathyB offered to review my story just before posting. She offered extremely helpful comments in just a few minutes time. Thanks very much!

I would like to offer a big thanks to the people on IRC. They've given me encouragement, especially when it came time to hit that "Add New Post" button. But also reading over and commenting on parts of my various stories.

Finally, a generic thanks to all beta readers out there!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Beta readers are life savers! I have no idea what I'd do without my two main BRs.

Anna - You have a wonderful grasp of English grammar! That's saved me many many snafus and evil problems. Your comments are also very helpful and let me know when I'm getting my point across. Thanks so much!

Sara - We've already dealt with the ISP problem, luckily wink You are such a wonderful beta reader! Your comments always let me know exactly what connects to a reader and what doesn't.

Y'all are so great :-D

Imagine.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hey all! I heard today [when I got two cards from Anna and Jana] that it was BR appreciation day! What a great idea!

Even though I've been away for a while, I hope to hop back in when finals are over next week.

Special thanks go out to all my BRs - first and foremost Missy G who has become an invaluable [sp? br anyone?] friend as well. Also, Anna, Jana, AnnieM, Sarah, Elena, Kaylle, Bethy, Mere and I'm sure numerous assorted others that are escaping me at the moment. Thanks so much!

Carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, the biggest gold star of them all goes to Wendy, my first BR. Neither of us were quite sure what a BR did back in those days, but we gave it a try and seemed to muddle along fairly successfully. Everything was terribly cautious and polite back then - now we chuck each other story parts at the drop of a hat and say what we really mean <g>.

I've said it all before, but I'll say it again - she's fast, sharp, intuitive, a mind-reader, and even has a sense of humour. What more could a writer ask for? Oh, and she's pretty good at grammar and spelling, too. Thank you, Wendy, for always being there and knowing exactly how to encourage a writer whilst still handing out constructive criticism.

Yvonne
(who will salute her other BRs tomorrow when she doesn't have a splitting headache)

Okay, back. Other BRs...let's see...there was Sheila Harper, who BR'd an early and rather ghastly nfic of mine and gave me some excellent and very sensible advice. There was Kaethel, who sent me rolling around the floor with her hilarious feedback (and very helpful comments). There was and is Jenni, who is always encouraging and has some fantastic ideas. There is Elena, who is fabulous - more hilarious comments, great editing, and more of those little remarks which get you thinking and spark new ideas for the story. Back in ancient history, I think even Labrat took a peek at an early story and was very encouraging, despite the fact that it was written rather inexpertly by comparison with her wonderfully flowing prose.

Thank you, one and all, for helping me become a better writer, giving me a lot of laughs and a ton load of great new ideas. I just have to add that the worst culprit is Wendy, who is still to blame for all of FoD and every other fic I've ever written about alt Clark. <g>

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
When I realized what a BR is for, I was stunned. 'Hey, look at that! People that voluntarily edit stories! Wow!' And it was an even bigger surprise when I discovered how good they all were at their job and how much of a help for the writers (especially those who are non-native English speakers like me).

So, here go my thankies:

To the first BR I worked with: Anni the Diva.
Your help with vocabulary and grammar as well as your willingness (is there such a word? <G>) to help me has been incredibly useful. Thank you!

To the most patient and willing BR I've worked with: Carole.
Do you know how many times has this happened?
Anna: I just finished a fic, and I'll post it as soon as I find someone to BR it.
Carole: Send it over!

Or, how about this?
Carole: I saw you posted that without having it BRed, so I BRed it for you.
Isn't she amazing?
Thanks a lot, Carole!

To someone that has BRed and GEed several stories for me: LabRat.
Thanks a lot for your patience. I know I can be pretty annoying <G>

To someone who isn't seeing this thread right now: LoisLaneWannaBe.
I hope everything works well for you in college.
And I hope you know how thankful I am to you.

Also, to everyone else I have worked with:
BRs: Elena, Bella, Kaylle, and of course Raquel, my big Brazilian sister smile
GEs: Paul (a guy who had the misfortune of meeting me when my English was way weaker than it is now... it must have been a horrible experience...), Tricia, Lynn and Erin.

Y, finalmente, muchas gracias a José, que me ya ha ayudado con una historieta y... me ayudará en el futuro también laugh . Lo siento, José, pero voy a escribir más en español. (Como si escribir en inglés no fuera bastante... goofy ) Eso es tu regalo por decirme que mi español es muy bueno laugh

So, thank you everyone, for your help and your support.
If I've forgotten anyone, I'm terribly sorry.

See ya!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Well, my super secret myster beta reader knows how much I appreciate that person by the way in which I zealously guard and protect their identity. Thus saving them from the embarrassment and derision they would be subject to for beta reading one of my efforts.

Gramatically I'm hopeless (I like to make the same mistakes over and over and over), but I also appreciate those cute little comments like "This doesn't make any sense" and "This isn't even close to being in character".

But I mostly like the encouragement that my beta provides. A writer just can't get enough of "This doesn't stink too bad."

So for all those things, and more (because I'm very forgetfull) I thank my super-secret mystery beta reader.

Tank (who likes to lull his beta into a false sense of peace and tranquility by retiring from writing so they think they can forgo having to deal with his stories, then cross them up with a new fic when they least expect it)

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Just chiming in to thank all the BRs I've worked with since I came roaring out of lurkerdom two years ago. Thanks to everyone who has improved my writing, saved my sanity when my computer crashed and ate my nearly-finished stories, and put up with my erradic (and sometimes frantic) writing pace. I love you all.

Special thanks to Sarah, who was my very first BR and who BRed for me instantly over IM when I just couldn't wait for feedback. She also put up with my habit of leaving off mid-sentence causing her to respond with comments like, "Lois looked into his eyes and said WHAT?! You can't just end on 'eyes'!!" She also reminded me patiently (and frequently) that question marks are not optional.

And of course special thanks to Kathy who had no idea what she was getting into when she posted feedback to the beginning of Anybody's Baby. I'll never forget how terrified I was to email her and ask for more help (I drafted the email over and over and made Sarah read it each time) or how excited I was to get her reply almost immediately offering to look at what I had. If it wasn't for her, I don't know what would have happened to AB, since I was definitely drowning. Since then she's turned a number of my stories upside down and inside out, always making them better than they were, and co-authoring Tea Totaled with her was one of the most fun writing experiences of my life.

So thanks again, everyone!
Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I think you all know that English is not my first language. I didn't want to write at first because I thought I wouldn't be able to write something that people would understand laugh No, serious people that BR for me knows why I'm saying this...my grammar is suck sometimes <g>

When I had the courage to start writing I found great people that helped me a lot. I was amazed how sweet they were because I thought that I'd get a answer like "Give up, you're suck" laugh or something like that but it was quite the opposite...they encouraged me to write!

I'm really thanful to all the BR out there, not just the ones that worked with me. Of course I have to thank mine in special because they put up with my bad grammar <g> If it wasn't for them I'd have giving up but they are so nice and I love LnC so much that I'm thankful for the opportunity to go on with my work (when my muse helps me <g>)

So thanks to my BRs: Sara, Dyann, Missy Gallant, Anna Botsakou and Lois Lane Wanna Be. I also would like to thank my GEs: Wendy Richards, LabRat, Tricia and KathyM (I hope I'm not forgetting anyone <g>). You're all wonderful!!!!

Raquel (who just tormented Anna with her last story laugh )

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This is for you, Betas!! help
thumbsup <--Wanda Detroit, A.B. [after beta]

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, I thought I wouldn't need to post here because I thought you would check the fanfic boards, too, but apparanately even though I wrote a fic for five people, none noticed. Ummm, ok. blush Thank you for the praising, lol, Wanda, you too are a wonderful beta and friend, and really, you make the slight annoyance of running both MSN and AIM together totally worth it. laugh

Julie blush blush blush

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard