Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141889 10/13/03 10:57 PM
Pelican Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, I could probably find out this information by myself if I had twenty minutes to spare, but I don't...at least not right now, and I have to hurry to the stable at this point.

Does anybody know *when* the story of Pinocchio was told? And is the original version of it the same as we know it today?

I guess you're probably wondering what the heck this has to do with Lois & Clark, but... well, stick with me... smile

Thanks in advance,
Pelican smile

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
#141890 10/14/03 12:06 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
For some reason, a lot of the info seems to be in Italian. laugh

But there was plenty in English, too. Here's a relevant paragraph from this review of the original story.

Although story of Pinocchio is a tale known to nearly every speaking child, it was first written in Italian. Written by Carlo Lorenzini under the pseudonym Carlo Collodi, it dates back to 1883, when it was serialized in a newspaper and then published as a book with huge success. The 1892 English version was equally well received, but it was the 1940 Walt Disney cartoon that gave Pinocchio the legendary status it enjoys today. Only one problem: Disney took short cuts. Collodi's original story has a richness and charm unmatched by Disney. Collodi's Pinocchio is not about a loveable puppet, but about a bratty puppet who needs to learn an important moral lesson about responsibility. And it resonates with slapstick humour that even Disney cannot equal.
And if you want to read what looks to be a decent translation . . .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#141891 10/14/03 12:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Disney took short cuts
You don't say? goofy

Wendy (colour me surprised) wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#141892 10/14/03 04:51 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL Wendy! I am forever kvetching about the shortcuts that Disney takes and the out and out piecemealing of some of the stories they liberate. All of which stems back to the way that I first heard all of the fairy tales and then saw the miserable excuses that Disney put out. The Little Mermaid died at the end of her story... and she had to pay for her wish with every step that she took... The evil witch Queen of Snow White paid the girl three visits... not one... Cinderella went to three balls.... not just one and her sisters did some nasty stuff to themselves to get that slipper to fit! ARGH!

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#141893 10/14/03 01:49 PM
Pelican Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, *finally* home...except for a brief visit at home after school to snatch a sandwitch to go and to post this question, I haven't been in for more than 18 hours, and it's now almost three am... So *thank you*, Rivka, as I'm now completely exhausted, I can feel free to write a bit inbetween classes tomor-- err, later today, now that I now know the answer to my question.

*Good night*!! dizzy

Pel smile

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
#141894 10/14/03 02:59 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL, Wendy! True 'nuff.

Marns, I agree with you 100%! Wonder what they'd do with "The Little Match Girl"? wink

Pel, you are most welcome. Glad to help. smile

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#141895 10/14/03 05:53 PM
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
I've heard that in the original version of Pinocchio he kills the cricket assigned to be his conscience

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#141896 10/14/03 06:16 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, Crazy Babe, he tried to kill the cricket.

From the last chapter:
Father and son looked up to the ceiling, and there on a beam sat the Talking Cricket.

"Oh, my dear Cricket," said Pinocchio, bowing politely.

"Oh, now you call me your dear Cricket, but do you remember when you threw your hammer at me to kill me?"

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard