Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141756 09/28/03 04:52 AM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm sure if I poured through my first season tapes I could find the answer, but I don't have time to do research *that* extensive, so I was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

First of all, what episode was it that Lex first learned of Kryptonite? And HOW did he learn about it? Did one of his men learn about it through the grapevine, or did they actually get their hands on it and send it through STAR Labs or something?

Secondly, in the later ep (third season??) when the Churches find out about red Kryptonite, how did THEY find out about it? Did some of their men unearth it?

Thank so much! Any help would be greatly appreciated. As soon as I can get this ironed out, I can get back to posting "Long Road Home." (Is that motivation enough? Or does it make you want to say, "Nobody say anything! Maybe then she'll quit working on that horrid story!" wink )

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#141757 09/28/03 09:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lex first uses kryptonite in HoL, as far as i can tell. he gets a small sample and has mrs cox test it (referred to early in the ep as the "series k test," while lois is in earshot) by wearing it on a necklace at the site of a staged disturbance. after clark flies off, she calls lex and says "we have the genuince article, lex. works like a charm."

there's no mention of how he heard kryptonite exists. basically, he bought some on the black market (whether because the owner approached him or because he heard about it and tracked down someone who could get it, we can't be sure), tested it to be sure it actually preformed as advertized, and then melted it down to coat the bars of the cage we see at the end of the ep.

bill church got his red k in the second season episode "individual responsibility." a team, led by gene newtrich (the father, i believe, of the sisters from "ultrawoman"), discovers it in the ground. the text from the script (the very first paragraph of the tease, actually) is as follows:

Wisps of fog dot the ground. Ten silent and determined men
search the earth, the beams of their flashlights strange
glowing pillars that seem to spring from nothingness. Half
the men guide hi-tech metal detectors over the dirt; they're
led by GENE NEWTRICH, 50. He has the look of a man who's
spent his life outdoors. Suddenly, Gene's detector gives a
BEEP. He makes a hand signal and all the others congregate
around. He's handed a shovel and begins to dig Hard.
Fast. Precise. There's a CLUNK as the shovel strikes
something. Gene drops to his knees. His gloved hands probe
the soil, grasp the object and pull it up. A GLOWING RED
ROCK, the size of an orange, illuminates his face. Gene
looks at the rock in wonder.
a little while later, gene comes to bill jr and they have the following conversation:

GENE
Um, as you know, Mr. Church, over a
year ago your father commissioned
my team to try and find some
Kryptonite. Using the data we've
recovered from Bureau 39, we knew
approximately where Superman's
spaceship crashed. Last night, we
found this...

Gene opens the box. Bill, Jr. looks in fascination at the
glowing red rock.

GENE (CONT'D)
... twelve-point-seven kilometers
from the ship's estimated point of
impact. As far as I can tell from
my experiments, what you're looking
at is... Kryptonite.

BILL, JR.
Kryptonite? I thought it was
green. This is red. Is there a
difference? What can it do? Can (X)
it kill Superman?

GENE
I don't know. All I _do_ know is:
its atomic weight and structure are
slightly different from green
kryptonite, but its radiation is in
the same part of the spectrum.

BILL, JR.
So, what we need is a field test.
Of course, that means we have to
send someone expendable. Someone
we at Intergang won't miss if they
wind up in jail.
(beat)
How 'bout you, Gene?

GENE
(gulps)
My pleasure, Mr. Church.
hope this helps. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#141758 09/29/03 02:40 PM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Paul, you're awesome! THANK YOU!! You've already helped me with this story more than you know. thumbsup

You're the best!

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#141759 09/29/03 02:51 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
As a slight amendment to what Paul said, Lex knows about kryptonite one episode earlier in Barbarians at the Planet. In the teaser, a bunch of goons bust into a warehouse where they find the rock. The head goon calls Lex while he's on his jet proposing to Lois.

That makes it an especially evil scene since he's simultaneously proposing to Lois while plotting the death of the superhero she loves, all while she's sitting there oblivious to everything.

Most likely, this piece of kryptonite is the sample Wayne Irig sent to Wichita for testing, since the only other known large piece was destroyed in GGGoH.

It is not explained how Lex found out, but it's quite possible he got knowledge of its existence from Lois' article.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#141760 09/29/03 06:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
erin, you're quite welcome. glad i could help. smile

roger, good noticing. i'd missed the discovery in BaTP.

however, a slight amendment to your amendment... laugh

i checked the BaTP script. the thugs found the kryptonite in the beauro 39 warehouse (and remember that bill jr refers to having read trask's files in IR), and, when they call lex, the thug in charge says:

DEVANE
(into cellular phone)
Your information was accurate,
Luthor. I have the Kryptonite.
so, lex knew there was k and that it'd be in the beuaro 39 warehouse.

going from there on intuition, i'd say lex was looking for any and all information about superman, came across trask's diary (too bad he was killed before he could write that last entry about clark being superman...), looked into beauro 39 a bit more, and discovered that there was a piece of kryptonite stashed away. like roger said, most likely it was the piece wayne sent for testing.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#141761 09/29/03 07:34 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
You're probably right, Paul. I don't have any scripts in front of me, so there's no way from just watching the actual show that you can tell Devane was in a Bureau 39 warehouse, though it probably makes sense.

From GGGoH, they only mentioned that the sample sent by Wayne Irig vanished, quite possibly stolen by B39. But Luthor clearly had a tip from somewhere, which was never expounded on, since it was on his information that Devane found the kryptonite.

Thanks for the clarification.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard