Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Schoolmarm wrote:

As far as not caring to improve one's writing, since "it's only fanfic" -- all I can say is I agree with Gerry. It's still craft, and Erin K. certainly has proven that it can lead to bigger things.
Bigger, yes. But I'm not sure "better" (as the saying goes wink ) necessarily applies. I'm really learning a ton as my novel is going through the editing process right now (Labby, can I just say I love you as an EIC after starting this process? wink ), but I'll tell ya, LNC fanfiction will always be my first love. And I can't WAIT to return to it! grumble )

It was interesting and informative discussions like this one that started me on the path to honing my craft (so thanks for posting this, Marilyn! I enjoyed reading it!), but I certainly have a long way to go before I can consider my craft honed. dizzy To be honest, I still feel humbled (and often intimidated!) by all you talented writers around these parts. Sure, I may have gotten lucky enough to get a toe in the door, but you guys can still write rings around ME. :p

Back to lurking and reading and trying to learn as much as I can from you talented writers... smile

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, I'm surprised so many people think "behemoth" is a mostly unknown word. I know I've read it several times, and heard it plenty. However, for some odd reason, I always thought it was spelled "bohemoth", and had to run to dictionary.com to be sure!

I do have to agree with the article. Clear, concise sentences work better than long drawn out ones. They may be trying to draw the image, but sometimes the author draws a little too much.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I was watching a documentary show on the PBS channel about the Medal of Honor Museum in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The host of the show was standing beside a tank and guess what word he used to describe it? Yep, that's right. Behemoth! I'm sure my husband thought I was nuts for laughing.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Top Banana
Top Banana
rotflol rotflol rotflol

That's too funny, Marilyn. Why does it seem that whenever I learn a new word, all of the sudden I hear that word *everywhere*?!! (Well, in this case it's not "new", but certainly "rare" - for me, that is. Now I'm sure everywhere I go, I'll be hearing this word!)

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
I hope nobody minds if I revisit this thread. I just happened to be discussing some writing-related questions with a friend and colleague who has recently published her second novel, Ophelia's Revenge. Among other things, such as the use of ?! for punctuation, we discussed the use of adverbs of manner. And her comment was, "It's out of style now, has been since the thirties. If you tried to get something published with very many, you'd probably never even get an agent."

As for ?! (and I've used it many a time myself) a closer look in the grammar books reveals that the proper punctuation for an exclamatory question is the exclamation point, i.e. Clark gasped. "What!" The interrogative word shows that it's a question; the exclamation point shows the tone of voice and mood of the speaker.

Schoolmarm

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Schoolmarm! Next time I send a manuscript to a publisher, I'll keep that in mind smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
This is a fascinating topic, indeed. I'm going to side with the notion that adverbs and adjectives are useful when you're a novice to a language because there is a limited number you need to know. Then you can modify all sorts of nouns and verbs. English is unique in that it absorbs words at a much faster rate than seemingly any other language, while rarely discarding any. The English language has 25,000 to 30,000 more words than either French or German. Why? English actually has more nuanced words that mean almost the same thing as another word but that have particularized usages. Let's pick a not so randomly chosen verb from this paragraph and analyze it. Consider if you will, all the different ways in English you can convey the concept of 'to discard:'

-expel
-exorcise
-give up
-get rid of
-chuck
-toss
-dispose of
-throw out
-trash
-extirpate
-expunge
-delete
-junk
-scrap
-throw away
-relinquish
-reject
-cast off
-cast aside
-cast away
-forsake
-desert
-part with
-do away with
-dispense with
-shed
-repudiate
-dispatch
-dispossess
-shake off
-free oneself of
-drop
-wash one's hands of
-abandon
-renounce
-and of course, defenstrate (but only if you discard it out a window).

Each of these words or phrasal verbs has a specific meaning and fits particular situations. You might use 'excise' if you want to say that something was removed in a precise and clinical manner. You might use 'extirpate' if the thing is ripped out in a visceral fashion. You might use 'expel' if you want to convey that the thing has been forced out, never to return again. And that's just using three of the regular verbs that all start with 'ex.' When you start using other parts of the alphabet and all of those phrasal verbs, man, that's a lot to keep straight when all you're trying to do is figure out how to describe the way Clark took out the trash in a language other than your native tongue wink .

Yes, using these fancy verbs makes descriptions come to life. That is the beauty of the English language. Few languages can compete with its complexity. One word can evoke a specific sentiment or situation. Complicated thoughts, impossible to express with sentences, are boiled down to one word, understood by all, although they are hard pressed to define it.

Indeed, the over-reliance upon adverbs and adjectives can bankrupt the language and dispossess it of its depth. Adverbs and adjectives can be crutches for weak vocabularies. Crutches, of course, must be abandoned. These parts of speech, however, are commonplace in spoken English and we shouldn't forget this and dispense with them. Not too many people use 'extirpate' in their daily conversations. Whether in anger or in boredom, we're more likely to threaten to toss one out on their rear or offer to take out the trash than we are to threaten defenstration or promise to dispatch the refuse. Dialogue is informal and we should cast off notions that suggest we 'dress it up' and make our characters sound more erudite (read: longwinded). So should we give up? Should we repudiate the entire project? I reject such notions. If you want to excise the adjectives and adverbs from your descriptions, fine, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and eliminate them outright. You'll run the risk of relinquishing an important tool as a writer and create stiff and formal dialogue that ought to be chucked.

Class dismissed wink

Rac

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
These parts of speech, however, are commonplace in spoken English and we shouldn't forget this and dispense with them.
That's what works for the Greek language too, Rac. Greek has two times as many words as English has, four if you count the different forms verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives and articles can take depending on gender, case, mood and so on. But in spoken language less than the half of all these words are in use. If someone heard two teens talk about an everyday topic, they'd think 'oh, what a poor vcabulary they have!'.

And, being the one that pointed out the problem the non-native speakers have, seeing a fic written with all sort of literature words you can find makes me have mixed feelings: admiration for the writer, jealousy because I could never write like this, and annoyance because I have to check the dictionary every once in a while. (Gladly, I never needed to stop reading a fic because the language was so difficult for me.)

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard