Print Thread
#141606 09/19/03 11:43 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've found myself recommending this grammar and punctuation website over the past couple of days to a few FoLCs who've wanted help with various elements of grammar and punctuation, and it occurred to me that it might be useful for other writers too.

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

I've found it basic and easy to understand and simple to use and the tests at the end of each page can be a lot of fun.

I'm sure that other writers, GEs and betas must have their own favourite grammar/punctuation websites too. So why not post their links here too?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#141607 09/20/03 04:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Looks like a very useful site, Rat! thumbsup

This is the site I recommend, to FoLCs and to my students, although I do warn them about the 'serial comma' rule which applies to the US and not to the UK. It's the Guide to Grammar and Writing site created by Professor Charles Darling.

And, yes, if anyone else has any good ones, let's hear about 'em! You can never have too many grammar guides... wink

Wendy smile (who has three grammar books and a dictionary on her study bookshelf, and another two plus several dictionaries at home! cat )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#141608 09/20/03 08:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oooh, grammar sites! Those two have been added to my list -- thanks! smile

I also like: Apostrophes
Grammar Links
Grammar Myths
Jack Lynch -- my absolute favorite grammar guide!
Grammar forums -- because you can never be on enough forums. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#141609 09/21/03 05:51 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Speaking of forums, one of my favourite sites is the Dictionary.com forum at Delphi: http://forums.delphiforums.com/dictionary/start . It doesn't give any hard-and-fast rules, but the discussions are wide-ranging and frequently fascinating.

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard