Next Thread
Print Thread
#141056 08/17/03 10:46 AM
S
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
S
Could anyone give me the run down ( a fairly detailed one) of what happens in this episode..it's one of the only ones i haven't seen and i was too young to remember the last time this show was aired :-) unfortunately!!! Please help me out.

#141057 08/17/03 03:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Welcome to the boards, Sweetgirl.

"Pheremone, My Lovely" is the episode where Lois, Perry and Jimmy (as well as other people in the newsroom) are sprayed with a perfume that removes inhibitions and makes people fall madly in love with someone they are attracted to. Clark gets sprayed, too, but it doesn't affect him.

Perry fixates on Rahalia, the newsroom's cleaning lady, and ends up going to her apartment to sing love songs for her (as well as coming onto her in his office), which earns him a punch in the nose from her (very large <g>) husband. She later sues him for sexual harrassment.

Jimmy fixates on one of the models that was at the DP for a magazine shoot, and ends up following her to a trendy nightclub, where he almost gets hit by a car walking in the street, since he's in such a daze. Superman saves him.

Lois, however, falls in love with Clark. (Not Lex and not Superman, which is what makes this episode so much fun. smile ) Remember, this was mid S1, when Lois was still talking down to Clark and talking up Superman at every opportunity. Her reaction provides the "proof" that Clark really is her first choice when all her inhibitions are removed. She first starts flirting with him in the newsroom, showing him ample leg through her short skirt, and he thinks she's just playing mind games with him because she wants a favor.

The next day, she's even more forward, dressing in a low-cut dress and fawning all over him, sitting on his lap, etc. That night, she shows up at his apartment dressed in a trenchcoat. He begs her to go home, realizing that everyone is drunk on some type of love drug (the whole newsroom has been turned into a love nest), but Lois peels off her coat to reveal a flimsy harem girl outfit. He valiently resists ("Lois, you don't know how many times I've thought about this ... dreamt about this ... well, something like this. But it's not real!") until she passes out on his couch. He spends the night pacing (no doubt kicking himself for turning her down <g>) and when she wakes up, he holds her close to him and says, "Lois, I can't take it anymore! If you really want me, I'm yours." Unfortunately for Clark <g>, Lois has sobered up at that point and pushes away. "Have you lost your mind??" Then she looks at her outfit. "Or have I lost mine?"

At this point, Clark fills a very embarassed Lois in on what has happened over the last two days, and they set out to learn what's going on. They find Miranda -- the woman who made the perfume, under funding from Lex Luthor -- and Clark steals a sample of it. (When he shows Lois what he's done on the street, she's delighted. "You stole it?? I love that!") They eventually learn that the perfume works by using pheromones, and that it only makes people fall in love with someone they are already attracted to. At this point, Lois is mortified because it's proof she is attracted to Clark. <g> Clark, on the other hand, is enjoying being in control for once, and he teases her by saying (when she asks why he wasn't affected), "I guess I'm not attracted to you." "Liar! You are so attracted to me!" "Guess not." "Guess so!" (Of course, in retrospect, it's a dumb move since he really does want to date her and telling her this isn't going to make her want to date him <g> but at the time the episode aired, it was just fun to see Clark finally render Lois speechless. <g>)

Another person who gets sprayed is Lex. Miranda had a fling with him but he's no longer interested ("You were an itch; you've been scratched.") so she sprays him to make him love her. Only he shows no interest in her (which makes her furious) ... instead, he happens to have a dinner date with Lois that night, and that's when it kicks in. He's not as forward as Lois was, but he's clearly not himself. He ends up passing out in his chair and sleeping there all night, while Nigel takes Lois home. Many people see this as the point when Lex becomes permanently obsessed with Lois, and he himself even tells Nigel at the end of the episode, "I'm doomed" (because he has fallen in love with Lois.)

In the end, Lois and Clark figure out that Miranda, to get revenge on Lex and Metropolis, is going to spray the entire city with a 100% solution of the perfume, which would be permanent. Superman stops the crop duster she is using and turns her over to the authorities. While doing so, however, Superman gets sprayed with the stuff. It doesn't affect him, but he can't resist the chance: When Lois sees him back on the ground, he declares, "Lois Lane, I love you!" and they kiss passionately.

Lex, standing nearby, is not amused. "I may throw up!" wink

The episode ends with a depressed Lex throwing money into the fire (because he's doomed) and the very happy fans knowing that Lois really does like Clark, even for all her bluster to the contrary. smile

I hope that was detailed enough for you. <g>

Incidentally, a great treatment of this episode can be found on Zoomway's "History of Lois and Clark's Relationship" pages. It can be found here

It starts at the Pilot, so you'll need to read (or click) through several pages to get to PML, but it's such a fantastic, fun section that I don't think you'll mind. smile

Happy hunting and welcome to the boards!

Kathy

#141058 08/17/03 08:50 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi, Sweetgirl,

This was such a fun episode to watch.

Here is a link to Christiane\'s Pherenome My Lovely page where you can see screencaps of the whole show. If you've never seen this episode, you must go here to "watch" it!

This page is in German, but with Kathy's excellent detailed summary, you should have no trouble figuring out what is going on. (The first shots are of Clark, using his superpowers to prepare breakfast. He throws the empty milk carton out the window into a dumpster in the alley below, then races down as Superman to get the carton back before the garbage men take it away, so it can be recycled. After that, a few shots of the newsroom, where its a slow news day. Jimmy (or Clark?, I forget) suggest they "play hooky", and Lois says they have work to do. Jimmy and Clark tease Lois about being all work and no play, when in comes Miranda and some models for a photo shoot to launch her new perfume. From here on, just follow Kathy's summary.

Have fun!

- Vicki wave

PS - I have no idea what "Hier geht es weiter" means, but if you click on these words at the bottom of the page, it takes you to Page 2!

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#141059 08/18/03 02:30 AM
S
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
S
Thank you so much! I love this website! Everyone is so friendly!

#141060 08/18/03 03:25 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have no idea what "Hier geht es weiter" means
It means, "it continues here." So as you discovered, it takes you to the next page.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#141061 08/18/03 09:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh God I so need to learn German!!

AnnaBtG. (wondering if she should've chosen German as second foreign language instead of French...)

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard