Next Thread
Print Thread
#140872 08/03/03 03:30 AM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, I actually have two questions.

First: Does anyone know if the U.S. still has any operating mines (precious gems, etc.)? Or does the U.S. get all their precious gems overseas?

Secondly: Does anyone know all the side things Lex had going? What exactly did he have his hands in during the season he was at the height of his power? I know a lot of fanfics have him dabble in gun-running, etc., but can anyone tell me if the episodes really said what he's involved in? (Didn't he have some dealings with STAR labs, for instance??)

Thanks!

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hi Erin: To my knowledge, the only place in the U.S. where you can mine gem quality diamonds is at Diamond Crater Park in Murphreesboro, Arkansas. It was, for years, identified as the only diamond mine on the North American continent, although that may no longer be true. It is unique in that it is not a commercial mining operation but rather a tourist attraction where one can pay a fee and dig, keeping whatever is unearthed. People find sizable stones all the time. I think most recently someone came up with a 4+ carat beauty, but there have been stones as large as 16 carats or more. If you google for Arkansas diamond mine you can find all the info you need.

As for Lex's enterprises, we know he was in real estate destruction so that he could re-devlop the area (the toasters in IGACOY). He wasn't involved with STAR labs but had his owns scientific research going (Vatman). We also know he was into R&D for defense projects (HIM) and he was developing a nuclear power plant (I think that was in MOSB.) Lois worked for his TV news station, LNN, after the Planet was destroyed. He owned the Lexor Hotel, and, of course, owned the Daily Planet for a while.Also in one of the eps in the troll arc, L&C look at a list of corporations and Lois categorizes them, remarking that those were things that Lex had owned.

It's interesting you should ask that particular question because I'm just finishing a story in which I refer to the many corporations he owns. I just made up what seemed approriate in addition to what I knew.

Hope this helps.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
There are several gold mines operations in the U.S. If you are looking for information on gemstones in particular try the USGS website USGS U.S. Gemstone production

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What about that whole Space Station Luthor disaster? Does that involve a side business of any kind, or was he just planning on backing Prometheus so he could stick his name on it?

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I don't remember clear, but at the end of "Shadow of doubt" Clark said the lists of Lex Luthor's holdings.

I think?:

1. Communication
2. Utilities
3. Real State
4. Transportation
5. Pharmaceutical
6. Import/export
7. ?

Sorry, I can't remember more.

MAF blush

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
There are still silver mines in Idaho and Colorado (where they also mine for coal, gold, and many other substances).

Here's some info on mining in the U.S., as of a 1997 census .

Some on mining methods .

And a page with links for each state.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You guys are just the best! Thank you SO much for all your help and research with this! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. smile

Now maybe I can get back to work on this fic of mine... smile1

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard