Page 1 of 2 1 2
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Lois and Clark Fanfic Archive Keyword Project

Well, you've been enjoying the fanfic uploaded faithfully to the Archive, week by week, and you've been thinking to yourself, "Gosh, I'd love to give something back to the Archive staff and all those great authors, for all the enjoyment those stories have given me, but...what?" <g> Right? Sure you have!

Well, now is your chance! Aren't we good to you? goofy

As many of you already know, the Archive has been working on a long-term project for a number of years now to produce a dedicated and comprehensive search engine for the website. This will enable readers to hook out the stories they are most interested in by inserting specific keywords into the database. For example, all stories set in season one. Or all stories with Lex as the villain. And so on and much more.

Of course, first, we need a database. laugh

Now that we have a final keyword list, we come to the major part of the work to produce that dbase. And that's where you guys come in, with a bit of luck. wink

We now need volunteers - as many as we can get - to read over the 2,000+ stories currently held at the Archive and assign keywords to them from the list. We're looking for:

VOLUNTEER READERS

Whether you have time to read and keyword a dozen stories or just one - we'd love to hear from you! Every little bit will help with this one. If you'd like to volunteer, please email the EIC at the eddress below. You'll be sent out the keyword list and assigned stories to work on. It's simple, it's straightforward and you get to read a lot of great stories - what could be easier?

AUTHORS

It will obviously speed up the process considerably if authors were to assign keywords to their own stories - as they generally don't have to spend time reading the story first to figure out which keywords are appropriate. laugh So, any authors who would like to keyword their own stories, please do email too for that keyword list! We'll be delighted to hear from you!

The more volunteers we get, the quicker the raw data can be collected and collated, and the sooner it will be that everyone gets that search engine up and running. So...go to it, FoLCs! We're counting on you!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please put ARCHIVE KEYWORD PROJECT in the header of any email you send me on this one. Thanks!

Think that's it. If I've forgotten something I'm sure you guys will let me know. <g> So...basically...let the fun (and the massive read-a-thon) begin!

LabRat
Editor-in-Chief
The Lois and Clark Fanfic Archive
Labrat@blueyonder.co.uk

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
I'll send you the keywords for my stories Labby smile

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What an awesome undertaking. I remember the earlier site (somewhere:) where the stories were divided into categories like that. Married /not married. first revelation/ Lex.

This will be great. Is this for fic and nfic alike? I would like to help out if I could, but should probably do my own stories first?

Let me know.
llowe2@triad.rr.com

doublel

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Is this keyword list posted somewhere so we know what words will be most effective?

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Supermom:
Is this keyword list posted somewhere so we know what words will be most effective?
There's a list of instructions for how to keyword the stories that you can get via email from Labby. They've got a little detailed list of things to assign that's pretty easy to follow.

Ciao
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Linda - any help would be most welcome. I'll email you the keyword list. Thanks. smile This only applies to gfic though as it's an Archive project.

Marilyn:

If you'd like to volunteer, please email the EIC at the eddress below. You'll be sent out the keyword list
Jen (Super Volunteer Extraordinaire <g>) - thanks!

LabRat smile (now definitely running late for her doc appointment, so excuse the brevity )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Labrat,

can you email me the list to, so I can send you the Keywords for my stories...oh, I also volunteer as a reader, and I guess that could be of great help too wink

Carole

PS: is there a max amount of keywords we can submit for each story?

PPS: when's deadline due?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Carole, there are four fields for keywords, though you don't have to use all four of them. I've done my stories and had a nostalgic blast in the process <g> The hardest part is figuring out how to characterize the more off-beat stories... I'm really looking forward to using this system when it's done smile1

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Carole - I'll contact you with the keyword list etc shortly. Having a slight problem with my email at the moment.

There is no deadline. The project is finished when the work is done, basically. Which is why the more volunteers we get, the quicker we'll produce a search engine. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Just a small question: Will you have a list of what stories have already been keyworded, or are you assigning the stories so there are no duplicates? laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Both, Karen. <G> I have a spreadsheet, even. laugh . A rather snazzy one, if I say so myself. wink So I have a record of who is working on which story at all times.

And, yes, stories are assigned out, so that duplicates are avoided.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Labby, email me the keyword list when your email is working again and I'll handle my stories that are on the archive.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The hardest part is figuring out how to characterize the more off-beat stories...
well, that'swhy I was asking about keywords...I'm having a hard time to figure out how to 'classify' my stories...I guess the list will definitely help smile1

Can't wait either to using this new toy...er...interesting device smile1

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks to our new crop of volunteers. I've mailed you all with the keyword list. smile

Anyone else thinking about volunteering feel free to just jump on in there. <g>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
er...didn't received a thing...

Carole

Blogger
Blogger
Sounds like fun! I'll email you soon.

~Amanda jump

Lois: Our byline is gonna look great on a Pulitzer someday
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Labby, is it possible to post the keyword list on this thread for those of us who don't have the proper application to be able to open the attachment you sent?

Or is it too long?

That way, as people write new stories they can list the keywords they think apply to their stories right from the beginning.

Tank (who figures his reply email to Labrat was lost in her recent email problems)

Blogger
Blogger
Labby, is it possible to post the keyword list on this thread for those of us who don't have the proper application to be able to open the attachment you sent?
Yes, that would be good thumbsup

Lois: Our byline is gonna look great on a Pulitzer someday
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd prefer not to post the keyword here to be honest, as I really don't want a situation arising where people take the keyword list and decide to help out by assigning stories and sending them in, off their own initiative. Therein lies chaos. <g>

To make this at all logistically possible, I need to have entire control over the keyword list and the assigning of stories.

I've either lost some emails in both directions or my server is being slow to deliver them. (The second is entirely possible the way they've been performing over the last couple of months.) I'm hoping it's the latter because our volunteers have been doing so marvellously and we've been rolling along so well that it would be a shame for server problems to slow us down now. razz I'm up to date with sending mail out - so if anyone who's expecting to hear from me hasn't within the next 12 hours, please let me know!

I'll send you out another copy, Tank. This time as a text file, which shouldn't give you any access problems. Just to be certain though I'll copy and paste it into the body of the email also.

With regard to new and future stories - there is no problem with these as assigning keywords to Archive submissions has now been incorporated into the GEing process, with each GE providing a keyword list when they return the final copy of a story to me for uploading. It seemed the easiest way to get the data for future stories. smile So authors don't need to worry about this stage of the process at all.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Labby,

If you'll email a copy of the list to me, I'll gladly assign keywords to my own stories. I guess it's only fair since I know them better than anyone else... blush

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This is quite an ambitious project - glad I'm not in charge of it. <G> That said, I'll gladly do my part. Send me the list, and I'll do my own. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Since the only two stories I have in the archive are very short, I'll give the pleasure of reading them to someone else. wink With that said I would be glad to help by reading for you. My e-mail is singingduckyqueen@yahoo.com. I can't wait to get started. smile

~L.L Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for volunteering, guys. smile I've just got my internet connection back this instant, having lost it from 11am Saturday, and spent the weekend having some very unhelpful conversations with my server. smile1 but got a backlog of over 200 messages to get to. So please bear with me and I'll get replies to everyone ASAP!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I need a ruling, or a clarification on a keyword and it's application.

For those of you who have read them, the original Futures series featured altLois as a main character, but was never set in the altUniverse (just a few flashbacks discussions in later stories). So, I'm asking if you would then classify those stories with an Alt-Universe keyword for the character even though it's not set in that world? Or not?

I guess what I'm saying is: Tempus Anyone? would be an Alt-Universe keyword, but Meet John Doe wouldn't even though both had Lois and altClark as the leads.

Tank (who has been trying to work through some of his stories through the pain of a severe arthritic flair up of a shoulder, and feels sorry for himself)

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's entirely your choice on this one, Tank. Which keyword would you want a reader searching for stories to use to find and read yours?

If you want a reader whose favouries are alt universes and who is searching for stories in that genre to pick them up in a search, then assign an AU keyword to them.

If you'd rather they were picked up by a searching reader on another criteria/genre instead - that's cool too.

I think you're right in your assessment of the difference between TA and MJD though, if that helps too. smile

Hope that shoulder eases up soon. No fun. frown

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard