Next Thread
Print Thread
#140420 06/18/03 09:41 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
April from over at the Lois & Clark Fantasy Land page thought we might like to check out a survey about your fanfic habits.

So please take a look, it looks like a fun thing to do:

http://web.pdx.edu/~levia/

smile

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
#140421 06/18/03 10:32 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It was fun, Annette. Thanks! laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140422 06/18/03 11:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cool! cool Thanks for sharing the link, Annette smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#140423 06/19/03 12:22 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, thanks. I think I learned something about myself while completing the survey.

~Sira

#140424 06/19/03 05:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Definitely interesting. I hope the results get posted somewhere because I'm curious to know what analysis they get from those questions. smile It was fun to do anyway. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#140425 06/20/03 11:42 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow! Did anyone else find some of those questions... umm... highly personal? They want an email address (I assume so that no one can submit more than one survey), but then they want to know your annual income and even your sexual preference.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not about to answer those questions over the internet. About a year ago, the Canadian government did the census. I got the long questionaire. There were two questions on it that I didn't think were any of the government's business: sexual preference and religion. So I refused to answer. At the bottom of the questionaire was a place for notes where I stated that I refused to answer those two questions because I thought they infringed my civil rights. And that if they wanted to throw me in jail as a result, they were welcome to do so. I am actually of the opinion that asking those questions was a violation of the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. If I wasn't prepared to answer under the threat of incarceration, I'm not about to answer for a survey. (Btw, I haven't heard anything back from the government which makes me think that they aren't planning to throw me in jail laugh )

ML

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#140426 06/20/03 09:49 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Heh, ML, I did the exact same thing. However, I got picked for a monthly phone call from an enumerator who was always asking me if my data had stayed the same this month. (She was actually a sweet little old lady who in addition to asking census questions used to ask me how things were going in general and encourage me when I got depressed - I was out of work and having a *REALLY* hard time financially at the time. No job prospects at all. I got so I looked forward to her calls - she was so sweet, she used to cheer me up. I kinda miss her smile )

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock to continue mourning - it's the day of the year, unfortunately...)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#140427 06/21/03 12:23 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, ML, in jail you'd have more time to write....just kidding wink

I thought the end was rather personal too, for a research project. I know demographics are important when trying to "sell" something, but I didn't think that was the case here. Well, if leaving things blank means my survey won't count, so be it

#140428 06/21/03 02:11 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, ML, in jail you'd have more time to write
Trust me, Trenna, I have thought of that. But I don't think they'd let me take my laptop - so that could really slow me down laugh

And, Melisma, if we do get sent to jail, I'll ask them to let us share a cell wink

Anyway, I'd certainly be willing to do the survey (because I think it could be really interesting seeing the results) if there was some way to do it and be certain that my annonimity would be protected (even from the people doing the survey).

ML

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
#140429 06/21/03 03:05 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well... I suppose you could use a fake name and set up a hotmail account... I know that people who do that within FOLCdom get caught eventually, but I think that's because we have "real" IP numbers to compare. If you sent in the survey from a real but temporary email account, and didn't give your name, I don't know if the IP numbers would give you away. If you really want to go all out, you could find an Internet cafe smile They'd never find you then...

Btw, I think the gender preference question was probably asked because they wanted to see how many straight women liked and/or wrote slash...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#140430 06/21/03 07:47 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I did consider that idea, Pam. I guess I'm just not confident that it couldn't be traced (not that anyone even cares enough to do so :rolleyes: ). I just find the information requested a little too personal. If I want to come out of the closet (assuming I'm even in the closet, of course laugh ), I wouldn't want to do it by default as the result of a survey.

Not that I don't understand the interest in the survey. It's just not something I'm comfortable with.

ML
wave

#140431 06/21/03 08:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If I want to come out of the closet (assuming I'm even in the closet, of course ), I wouldn't want to do it by default as the result of a survey.
Oh, was that it? I just thought you didn't want to let anyone know that you earn scad-zillions a year as a lawyer goofy

PJ
who thinks they missed a check box for "both" evil

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#140432 06/21/03 09:17 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, Pam, it was the gender question that got to me. Male, female or other. I just couldn't feel comfortable revealing the answer to that question laugh (Mainly because I can't seem to figure out what 'other' refers to confused ).

ML
wave

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard