The Stuff of Dreams: 1/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

Copyright statement: This is an original work by the two authors. Any resemblance to any person, living, dead or fictional, is unintentional and coincidental. The writers retain all rights to this work, and the copyright may not be infringed.

The Stuff of Dreams
By Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

Prologue

General Walter F. Kaley of Terran Military Intelligence, Commanding Officer of the Lavirra Base, leaned back in his swivel chair, feeling pleased. Events at the base were proceeding most satisfactorily, especially considering the fact that three weeks ago it looked like he had lost three of his best people.

Weddings were not uncommon at the base. It was an established policy of the Terran Underground to encourage Terran psychics to marry and produce children -- many children. But this wedding -- or weddings, rather -- promised to be a greater-than-usual asset to their organization.

Kaley folded his hands behind his head and contemplated the theme with a sense of satisfaction. Love in the teeth of war. Corny, but wait until the boys in Propaganda finished with it.

Linley and Austell were a thoroughly handsome couple. Former Strike Commander Mark Linley was tall, good-looking and altogether a very impressive individual. Kaley felt a small tug of envy at the thought of his imposing subordinate, especially in comparison to his own stocky, balding form.

And Julia Austell ... Kaley might be an old, happily married man of two months, but Major Julia Austell was the kind of woman that made any man, no matter how happily married, sit up and take notice. She was tall, blond, beautiful, aristocratic and renowned for courage that would have put most men to shame. Condemned to death by the Jilectans, fleeing for her life, she had been cornered by Jilectans twice in one night, killed two of her pursuers, slugged Duke Halthzor, himself, with a wine bottle, leaving him face down in a dirty gutter, hijacked a ship, made her way to Terra and delivered vital information to the Terran Underground, in spite of all the odds against her. Her actions had earned her the romantic nickname of the Giant Killer. Julia was highly respected in their organization and admired by millions of Terrans throughout the Rovalli Sector who bore no love for the alien overlords.

Kaley smiled to himself.

The second couple in Kaley's sights consisted of Alan Westover and Lyn Parnell. Alan was Linley's partner. He was short, unremarkable and youthful in appearance, but he was the most formidable psychic in the Terran Underground. Condemned to death for his psychic powers, Alan had fought back against his tormenters and in the end had outdrawn the Jilectan noble, Lord Salthvor, to save Mark Linley's life and his own. Alan had become a romantic figure in the estimation of Terrans throughout the Sector, the persecuted Terran who had struck back against his oppressors. He was a symbol of hope to the Terran Confederation and the other subject species under the iron thumb of the Jilectan Autonomy. The young officer would wed Lyn Parnell, the psychic daughter of a Patrol Base Commander who had defected to the Terran Underground some years before. While nowhere near as striking in appearance as Major Austell, Major Parnell was known in their organization, and respected for her accomplishments. It would be a double wedding, played up to the hilt by Kaley, and the morale lift that his people needed occasionally.

Linley, and undoubtedly Westover as well, knew precisely what he was doing, but neither had voiced a word of protest. Colonel Mark Linley was a born leader, without whose guidance Alan Westover would never have achieved his full potential as an officer in their organization. They were a smoothly operating team, with the unnerving habit of getting into and neatly out of spectacular and outrageous scrapes. Their exploits had brought them fame -- or notoriety, depending on how you looked at it. It also made them romantic figures in the eyes of the younger members of the Underground, and quite a few of the older ones as well -- and very convenient victims for Kaley to present to his people in the guise of heroes.

Kaley sighed again, a little enviously this time. It was really too bad that he wasn't younger. The escapades of Westover and Linley inspired dreams of romantic adventure even in his own staid imagination. That affair on Toomelli's Moon -- he hadn't been in a position to appreciate that one. Taken prisoner by the Jilectans and transported to the top security base on the moon of a gas giant, he had been undergoing a painful interrogation by Lord Valthzor, the younger brother of Duke Halthzor, when Westover and Linley appeared from nowhere in the very heart of the guarded security bloc, killed the Jilectan and walked out, taking Kaley with them, still in the guise of a prisoner. Strike Commander Ronald Griffen, who was indirectly responsible for Alan's presence on the moon, defected on the spot to save his own life. Together they had marched out under the noses of the guards and escaped in Griffen's battlecruiser.

It had seemed incredible to him, that eleventh hour rescue when all seemed lost. Reading the report later, it all seemed so childishly simple, and yet --

He shook his head. They always made the most impossible things seem simple -- such as that insane foray into the very palace of the Jilectan Viceroy to rescue a state prisoner, and the accidental assassination of the Viceroy in the process. It was flamboyant, it was undoubtedly crazy, but it made wonderful publicity for his people. He always made certain his reluctant heroes paid for their idiocy each and every time, too. The General contemplated that with deep satisfaction. They hated the ceremonies and decorations, and most of all the official dinners and speeches that always followed. Somehow, though, it never stopped them from diving full-fling into the next outrageous situation. And it was just as well that they did, he decided. The Underground's acquisition of that pair had been more fortunate than even he had realized in the beginning, and now the marriages of Westover and Linley to their chosen brides would be a convenient propaganda event for him to use. He would see to it that even those that couldn't attend would have a chance to observe it. He must remind the maintenance techs to install videocameras in the chapel.

But, in the meantime, there was business as usual. The ceremony was to take place in three weeks, barring unforeseen difficulties. And there was still that propaganda film to be made on Terra ...

The intercom on his desk buzzed softly. The hand-sized screen lit up with the face of Ruby Ottarson, his secretary. "Doctor Philips would like to see you, sir."

Kaley put down the report that he had just picked up. "Send him in."

Matt Philips entered the room, his expression half-worried and half-amused. He saluted.

Kaley gestured him to a seat. "What's on your mind, Matt?"

Philips seated himself with deliberation. Kaley recognized the manner. The doctor had something to say and was a little uncertain how best to say it. He waited patiently.

Philips shifted in his seat for a moment and then grinned, half-shamefacedly. "Sir, may I ask whether you intend to send Major Austell to Terra with Colonel Westover and Colonel Linley to complete that propaganda film?"

Kaley raised an interrogative eyebrow. "I had intended to. Do you have any objection?"

"Yes, sir." Philips fidgeted. "You understand, I must have your complete confidence in this matter."

"Of course."

The doctor cleared his throat. "Ordinarily the situation would cause no problem, nor would it interfere with her mobility -- at least not immediately. But this case is somewhat out of the ordinary ..."

Kaley sighed. "There's no need to be obscure, Doctor. What are you driving at?"

"Major Austell can't go to Terra, sir. At least I strongly advise against it. I want her here on Lavirra, under my eye."

"Why, Matt?" Kaley asked bluntly.

"She's pregnant, sir."

Kaley raised his eyebrows again. "Oh? Hardly surprising, considering the relationship she and Colonel Linley have shared for nearly two years. As a matter of fact, I suspected that might be the reason for Colonel Linley's sudden announcement. But why don't you want her to travel? The pregnancy must be very early."

"Yes sir. No more than three weeks."

"Then explain, please."

Philips did so.

Kaley's eyebrows rose almost to where his hairline had once been. "I see. Excellent. I'll admit, I wondered about the possibility, considering Cadet Linley's abilities. I must congratulate the colonel. But you're right, of course. We can't possibly allow her to travel under those circumstances." He turned to the intercom. "Ruby, call Colonel Westover and Colonel Linley to my office, please."

Mark Linley grinned, leaning back in his chair. "Nah, Jul don't worry about m'past none. She decided a while back that it was my business. Hell, she picked li'l Mark for the ring bearer! How much clearer can you get, anyhow?"

"I guess so," Kurt McDougal agreed. "You're a lucky man, Mark."

The Officer's Club at the Lavirra Base was sparsely populated today, except for the group in the corner. Linley took a swallow of his cooler and made a face. "Man! They must use the cheapest whiskey in the Sector for this place. Nah," he continued, answering an earlier question from his brother. "We ain't gettin' involved. I got it on the best authority that guys got nothin' t'do with weddin's but stay outta the way. Jul an' Lyn an' their friends don't want us hornin' in an' makin' a mess o' the business. They got the whole thing well in hand."

Alan laughed. "Every good Strike Commander knows when he's out of his depth, Kev. Angie told us both very tactfully to butt out."

"Yeah." Bronson looked resigned. "She cancelled our date last night so she could help Jul with her dress. Women!"

Linley grinned unsympathetically. "Delegation of authority," he said loftily. "This way all I gotta do is show up at the right time, dressed in that fool monkey suit, an' give the right answers. No big deal."

"Maybe not for you," Bronson grumbled. "But I got enough trouble gettin' around Phyllis most o' the time, anyway. She don't trust me with Angie, I guess."

"I can't imagine why," Kurt said softly.

Bronson threw a pretzel at him. "She keeps tryin' to arrange dates for Angie with other guys. I sure as hell was glad when Rog moved his family into one o' the MOQs down at the other end o' the barracks. At least that puts some distance between Phyllis an' Angie."

"I'll bet," Andrei Wolenski agreed. "Glad I don't have to maneuver around anxious mamas for my dates." He swigged from his glass. "I must say, the Patrol was never like this. That little gal, Lorie --" He sighed. "I'd have given her a free ride on the 'Guardian' any time."

"I second that." Ronald Griffen signaled the lounge steward for a refill on his beer. "Gave me the most surprising welcome I'd ever had after the Toomelli's Moon affair. Up 'til then I'd had my doubts about this organization, but she changed my mind."

"Come on, you guys!" Alan could feel the heat in his cheeks and knew he must be scarlet.

"We're embarrassin' our little buddy," Bronson said unnecessarily. "Don't fret, kid. Lorie's a great gal." He looked across the table at the two non-bachelors in the group. "Eric an' Jase ain't sayin' much."

Eric Vogleman laughed. "I don't have quite the same problem as you, Kev -- never did, in fact. Ruthie and me were next door neighbors from the time we were little kids. Her mom never tried to chase me off."

"Fooled her, huh?" Griffen said. "How about you, Jase?"

Jason Llwelling smiled demurely. "I think Kurt is jealous," he remarked.

McDougal looked surprised and slightly annoyed. "Hey!"

Alan raised his eyebrows. "He can't help it, pal. You're radiating it. Put your shields up if you don't want an empath to pick you up."

McDougal's shields went up. He laughed unconvincingly. "You're nuts, both of you! *I* don't want to get tied down with one woman -- at least not yet."

Griffen clapped him on the shoulder and signaled the steward again. "Harry, bring Kurt another one of whatever he's got. We're trying to drown our sorrows." He looked enviously at Mark. "You're a lucky guy, you big jerk. I'd have tried my luck if I hadn't known I didn't have a chance. Jul going to let you have a bachelor party with us? Holly promised to jump out of the cake."

Linley chuckled. "With or without her bikini?"

Wolenski raised an eyebrow.

"I'll be there," Linley told him. "Jul doesn't mind as long as I'm in shape for the big event." He swallowed the last of his drink.

"Yeah," Wolenski said, winking at Bronson. "You'll need all the strength you've got. Where you going for a honeymoon? Or aren't you saying?"

Linley grinned smugly. "Who says we're goin' anywhere? We'll just lock the door to our quarters for a couple o' weeks an' have meals sent in."

There was a general, slightly envious laugh. At this juncture, the steward appeared at Alan's elbow.

"Excuse me, Colonel. The General requests that you and Colonel Linley come to his office right away." He turned to Mark. "Congratulations on two counts, sir. I heard about your promotion. And congratulations to you too, Colonel Westover."

"Thanks, Harry." Mark stood up, Alan at his side. "We'll see you guys later."

Ruby Ottarson glanced up as they entered General Kaley's outer office and touched the intercom. "Colonel Westover and Colonel Linley are here, sir."

"Send them in," Kaley's voice said.

As they entered Kaley's office, Mark noted to his surprise that Matt Philips, the base's senior medical officer, was there. He rose as they entered. Alan and Mark came to attention and saluted.

Their commanding officer returned the salute casually. "At ease, gentlemen. You will recall about three weeks ago you were sent to Terra to make a propaganda film. Unforeseen events intervened and you were fortunate to escape with your lives. However, the film still needs to be made.

"We'll be sending you to Terra almost immediately but unfortunately, Dr. Phillips has informed me that it will be inadvisable for Major Austell to travel for some time, due to her -- shall we say -- delicate condition."

Linley felt a lump settle in his stomach. "What's wrong with Julia, Doc?"

"Nothing." Phillips sounded amused. "You already know most of it."

"Well, pregnant women travel in spaceships all the time."

"She's a rather special case, Colonel," Kaley said gently. "I think Colonel Westover already knows. I don't want to risk her. She's become very valuable to us -- even more so than she was before."

"What do you mean, risk her?" Mark demanded. "What's the matter?"

"Pregnancies involving twins are always subject to more complications than ordinary ones," Phillips said. "We don't want to risk a pair of potential psychics if we don't have to."

Linley's was aware of a ringing sensation in his ears and the feeling that someone had hit him a sharp clip in the stomach.

Someone flipped water in his face. "Mark? Are you all right?" Phillips' voice asked.

Linley's eyes focused on the modest carpet that covered the floor of Kaley's office. He became aware that he was sitting in one of his C.O.'s armchairs. Alan was leaning over him, his expression half-amused, half-worried.

"Better now, Mark?" Phillips asked.

Linley cleared his throat, wiping water from his face. "Uh ... yeah." Again he cleared his throat. "Twin psychics? You're sure?"

"Quite sure, Colonel."

"But look --" Mark wiped water from his ear. "You might be wrong. Psychic powers don't work real good through livin' tissue. Everybody knows that."

"I'm certain," Phillips said. "I suspected it as soon as I examined her and to confirm it I had Tono Mishamoto also examine her. If you will recall, Dr. Mishamoto has the rather unique ability to use his talents through living tissue."

"Yeah." Mark was silent a moment. "You're sure they're psychics?"

"Positive," Phillips said. "And just as definitely two of them as Dr. Mishamoto has confirmed. You'll remember, Mark, that Julia, herself, is a twin. Her sister, Jill, was killed with the rest of the family on Riskell, but they were identical twins. She informs me that her mother was also a twin, and that she has a set of identical twin uncles on Bellian. Apparently the tendency runs in the family. And you already have one psychic child -- that we know of," he added as an afterthought.

"Oh man!" Mark felt himself start to grin and glanced at his partner, who was also grinning slightly. "You knew all along, didn'tcha?"

"Well --" Alan turned pink. "I didn't figure it was any of my business."

Kaley was smiling at him with open admiration. "Congratulations, Colonel. I trust that these are but the first of many children. Now, if you're quite recovered --"

Mark got to his feet, feeling slightly embarrassed. "Sure," he muttered.

"Fine." Kaley touched the intercom on his desk. "Ruby, have Colonel Griffen and the others arrived yet?"

"Yes sir," Ruby said. "They're waiting in the outer office."

"Send them in."

A moment later the door slid open and Ronald Griffen, Andrei Wolenski, Kevin Bronson and Lyn Parnell entered. They came to attention and saluted.

Kaley casually returned the salute. "Unfortunately," he said, "replacing Major Austell is a somewhat difficult business. Major Parnell, however, has a certain measure of name-recognition value of her own -- especially after that business with Lord Tralthvor and the Viceroy --" He smiled at Lyn. "But she isn't as -- shall we say -- as romantic a figure as the 'Giant Killer', as melodramatic as that title may be. Therefore, for good measure, we will throw in three fairly well-known Patrol defectors, two of whom are Strike Commanders like yourself, Colonel Linley, and one of whom made a spectacle of himself on interstellar video." He cocked an eyebrow at Kevin Bronson. "While I am not ordinarily in favor of such dramatics, in this case it served us well, both then and now."

"Excuse me, sir," Griffen interrupted. "May I ask what we're being volunteered for?"

"Certainly, Colonel," Kaley replied. "Major Austell will be unable to participate in the propaganda film as was previously planned, so you four will be substituting for her. Our point of filming has been changed from New York to Los Angeles, so barring more hyperwaves --"

Once outside Kaley's office, Griffen glared at Alan and Mark. "Propaganda film? Me? Did you two have anything to do with this?"

"Now how could we have anything to do with it?" Alan asked, grinning slightly. "Besides, Ron, would we do that to you?"

Wolenski eyed Mark suspiciously. "Maybe not you, kid, but I wouldn't put it past this guy. You're looking awfully smug about something, Colonel Linley, *sir*!"

Mark grinned suddenly. "Guess you might say I did at that, Wol," he admitted. "If you're gonna do somethin', you might as well do it *right*!" He glanced at his partner, who appeared to be having sudden trouble breathing. "Do me a favor, willya, kid? Pack my stuff for me. There's somebody I gotta go see before we take off."

"Okay," Alan said blandly.

"Thanks." Linley turned away and went down the corridor toward the communications room, whistling softly to himself.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.