goofy I wrote this play for my school's Drama Club; every year we have a few small productions (or at least we try to). The only problem is, we school playwrights are supposed to write scripts with as many roles as we can so that we can give as many people roles as possible - and as I developed this story, I realized that it was best to leave it for two people.

So, I really would appreciate opinions and FDK with respect to whether or not this is worthwhile to be submitted as a possible production! smile Please keep in mind that this play is a younger person's interpretation of matters of the heart between middle-aged people, and that the specific stage instructions are only meant to be a way of helping readers imagine the play better. I ask you to please pay special attention to the way the characters' relationship pans out as the story progresses. Ideas are mine; FDK would be enormously appreciated! smile

***Cafe Je t'attends***

Characters: Maxine Tran, a very made-up, feisty French-speaking Vietnamese lady in her mid 40s who owns the Café Je t’attends and speaks heavily-accented English. Lise Joseph, a French American visa student in France, employed and overworked at the café. Vincent Roy, a well-known, respectable, wealthy and successful businessman in his mid to late 50s, related to Maxine in a very… different and special way.

Setting: A modern day café in France, «Café Je t’attends», Maxine Tran (owner) is doing her makeup/handling money /answering phone and other easy work while barking commands and telling off her French-American employee Lise Joseph, who is running around frantically basically doing all the floor work of the café by herself. Suddenly, Maxine receives a much anticipated phone call from someone special.

Act One

(play track #5, Mariah Carey’s Emotions, lights up, phone rings, M picks up and starts conversing with the person on the other line)

M: Bonjour, Café Je t’attends, puis-je vous aider? Vincent!!! (excited and euphoric all of a sudden) Vincent, tu me manques beaucoup, je…oui. I mean yes. Vincent, when are you coming by? I miss you so much, you hardly ever come anymore! Soon? How soon? Vincent? (phone’s cut)

V: (appears suddenly behind M) Surprise!

M: (spins around) Vincent! (pounces on him) Why didn’t you tell me you were coming? I didn’t have a chance to get ready! (starts fixing her hair etc but pouts) You haven’t visited me for nearly five months already. (body language suggests an intimate relationship and deep fondness on Maxine’s part)

V: (quite happy to see her, sits down at a table Maxine shows him to) I’ve tried to come earlier of course, but you know how busy I am.

M: (feels better, acts sweet and is apparent that she’s very in love) Did you miss me, Vincent?

V: (annoyed at this over asked question) You know the answer to that. You know I don’t like answering pointless questions.

M: But I want to hear you say it! (V gives her an impatient, annoyed look) Alright, alright Vincent, I know you did. Ah yes, I’ve almost forgotten your special coffee! (to Lise) Lise! Donne-moi un café special pour M. Vincent

V: You haven’t been practicing your English enough, have you? Your accent is still so heavy!

M: I have been practicing! I even hired an American girl to teach me English!

V: Then why does she understand French? (seriously because he cares about her) You need to practice your English, Maxine, it’s the most commonly spoken language in the world. You’ll be able to use it everywhere you go. You only knew Vietnamese and French, otherwise I would have taken you to the US with me instead of here to France. And visiting you would be easier too.

M: (teasingly) I am not a big important businessperson like you, Vincent, I do not need to know so many languages. Besides, you wouldn’t have taken me here from Vietnam if I didn’t have to escape my debts…I owe my life to you, but I didn’t need to go to school learn what makes you happy. (starts to run her hands over her body and teasing him)

V: (seriously) I’ve never treated you like a…a…well, what you were in your previous occupation.

M: (chuckles and changes subject) Haha, sometimes I wonder whether I ever truly was a prostitute-

V: (the words seem to sting him; he looks around nervously and hastily hushes her) Sh! Not so loud!

M: (quietly) I mean, I started working exclusively for you ever since I was 17! (notices that V’s uncomfortable about the topic so she switches) So how are you? How is your business?

V: (leisurely enjoying coffee and relaxing there with M) I’m just about the same. My business is doing well. We’ve expanded into five more countries, so that’s why I’ve been so busy.

M: (proudly) I know you are an important man, Vincent!

V: I haven’t even been home once since I last came to see you.

M: (slight jealousy) You have a home here in France with me, Vincent. (tightens grip on him)

V: Yes, but I mean with my daughter, you know? I haven’t seen her in such a long time. She has just turned 21 years old. (sigh) I have never played a very big part in her life.

M: Don’t feel bad, Vincent. The company is a very big responsibility too. You try your best, there is only so much you could devote your time to. (notices V’s somber mood & switches subject) So how is your daughter? Do you have a new picture of her?

V: (cheers up and takes out his wallet) Yes, see? And she has just earned a scholarship for law school. She’ll be going to Harvard, and it’s so close to home that she won’t even have to move away.

M: Wow, what a beautiful young lady she is now. And she is smart too. (a bit sadly) Too bad she doesn’t even know I exist. I would love to meet her. (gives back photos, then says bitterly) And how is your wife? (gives him a questioning look)

V: (very uncomfortable) Don’t look at me like that Maxine…your stare can penetrate straight through my head.

M: (still bitter) I only asked how she is, why are you so sensitive?

V: (apologetically You know my relationship with my wife is bad…you know I would have ended my marriage a long time ago if not for my daughter and my public image. We even don’t live together, I barely see her and moreover, I don’t really love her. You know you’re the one I care about.

M: (feels better but suppresses happiness) You didn’t have to say all that. I have never expected you to not love your wife or get a divorce because of me

V: But it’s true. Our relationship has been getting worse, and I can’t stand it anymore. I’m seriously considering a divorce.

M: (suppressing even more happiness) Really? But what about your daughter?

V: She’s a grown woman now, she’ll understand.

M: I guess that’s true…

V: (trying to please M) And then after I get divorced, I will get to finally introduce you to the world and we will get married.

M: I don’t hope for that much. No matter what we do and no matter how much in love we really are, to the world, I’ll just always be your mistress, a filthy, gold-digging hooker. A very lucky one since you’ve paid for my livelihood for 20 years now.

V: (reassuringly) No Maxine, I’m the lucky one. Not every man has a wonderful woman that is willing to be so devoted to have a relationship with him for 20 years without a title. (looks at watch) I must catch the next plane to Holland! I’ll call you and I’ll come visit again soon. Just call me if they raise your rent, alright?

M: You’re not even spending the night tonight?

V: No, I can’t. Bye.

M: Au revoir, je t’aime. Come back soon, je t’attends! (has a lot of difficulty in letting go)

(lights down, fade out music)

Act Two

(lights up, no music, phone rings, M picks up)

M: Bonjour, Café Je t’attends, puis-je vous aider? Vincent! You’re at the door? (looks out a window) Where?

V: (shows up behind her) Maxine…

M: (spins around in surprise) Vincent! You like to do that, don’t you? (hugs him but he holds her down) Are you okay? (puts hand to his forehead, but he pushes her hand away)

V: I’m fine, Maxine.

M: (concerned but trying to be understanding) You must be tired, have a seat. (shows him to a table and he sits down) Lise! Café special, vitement!

V: (takes coffee from L, holds it but doesn’t drink it, then sets it down; M starts massaging his shoulders) Stop that.

M: (trying desperately to put V in a better mood) You must be hungry too! You are always in a bad mood when you are hungry. I haven’t cooked for you in a long time, let me go see what I can make for you. (gets up to leave)

V: (pulls her back, starts to feel uncomfortable and gets impatient) Just sit down.

M: You just want to talk? I can do that too. (grabs her mug of coffee and sits down) Are you okay, Vincent? (truly concerned) Can I get you something?

V: No, no, just sit.

M: (growing uncomfortable because she knows something’s wrong) Is something wrong?

V: My wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She’s in her final phase, she only has three months left.

M: (genuinely concerned) That’s horrible! Is she okay? How is your daughter?

V: They’re both taking it very hard. I need to be there to support them.

M: [I](sadly)
I understand. How long will you be gone this time? How long will it take for you to take care of everything?

V: (uncomfortable, wants to get it over with) That’s just what I wanted to come talk to you about. ([play track #11 Mariah Carey’s Without You] places a small pouch in her hand) Have this, but don’t open it yet. Maxine…This is my last visit to you.

M: What?! I don’t understand, Vincent, is this necessary?

V: (feeling very bad, looking away) I’ve thought about it. All these years, I’ve been hiding you. Not only is it dishonorable on my part, but it’s been especially unfair for you. And having a secret relationship outside of my marriage is so wrong…

M: You realize that now? After 20 some years, you are telling me you are ashamed of me?

V: That’s not what I mean…

M: I don’t care if you are ashamed of me Vincent, getting involved with you, I was prepared from day 1 to live anonymously. (pleading) Don’t do this.

V: (feeling horrible because he actually loves her) I’m so sorry…and I’ve been a horrible husband. Half of my success was due to the effort of my wife, and I’ve never treated her properly. The truth is, this was a public marriage and neither of us wanted to get into it but she handled the situation very well, always covering for me while I’ve been making her life miserable for all these years.

M: So now you feel guilty and you must go back to her while our relationship goes down the drain. It’s been over 20 years Vincent, and I can honestly say that I’ve loved you every second.

V: (feels even worse) I know. But…I can’t deny all that my wife has done for me. The last time I visited my wife at the hospital, she told me that she knew about you all along, but she just dealt with it herself and she never told anyone, not even our daughter. Do you have any idea how remorseful I feel?

M: So you are compromising my feelings?

V: But she’s my wife. We have a family and a company together. I’m very sorry Maxine. I need to go, goodbye. (starts to leave)

M: (holds him back) Have you ever truly loved me?

V: You know the answer to that. (tries to leave but stops)

M: (determined) I want to hear you say it.

V: (very uncomfortable, wants to leave, tries to sound stern) Maxine…

M: (extremely bitterly) Just SAY it!

V: (walks away, opens door but stops) Yes. (leaves through door)

(M is sitting by herself, miming while narrator speaks M’s thoughts)

M’s thoughts: That’s right, she’s your wife. And what am I? A filthy whore. I’ve completely given away my youth, and now I have nothing. He was my happiness, his money and gifts never meant anything to me. Loneliness is my greatest fear, and now it has fallen upon me like a meteor, with nothing to shield me in between. I should have known. What am I going to do for the rest of my life? (M sighs loudly, and opens the pouch V gave her, a cheque and a note falls out. she begins to read the note) I’m very, very sorry. This should last you for the rest of your life. Don’t wait for me anymore. Take care, je t’aime.

(M looks at check in disgust, then rips it up, looks extremely dejected, lights and music fade out)

***The End***

So! What did you think? Please tell me! I guess I wanted to just show that sometimes, 'right'/'wrong' and 'good'/'bad' aren't so clearly defined. Throw in true emotions (especially love!) and time, and a great big mess could result...but that's what living is all about, emotions can be so rich! Love vs. 'truth and justice'. It's really something to think about.

Mirage smile

Clark: You're really high maintenance, aren't you?

Lois: Yes, but I'm worth it!