Thunderspire

By Emily M. Hanson

Part 8

Resounding thunder echoed throughout the turbulent sky as the adventurers arrived at Thunderspire. The royal guards sounded the alarm as they recognized Calduris. Air elementals rushed toward the heroes with enchanted weapons.

"Thus the battle begins," Fenrek remarked.

Kip transformed into his human shape and chanted a protective spell. Trin flung several magical arrows, which exploded as they hit their targets. Fenrek's enchanted arrows also burst into flames as they struck home. Calduris roared and charged forward, wielding Torrent. Trin had enchanted Tanith's sword with a flaming aura, since a purely physical sword didn't harm the elementals. The warrior wielded Sirocco with expertise. Aliya stood back with Sireth, protecting the female elemental. She wished she could do something more to help, but all she had were her daggers and she didn't dare risk using her magic again.

The adventurers fought their way through the ranks of the guards until they reached the throne room where Erius waited. As the fight spilled through the open doors, the Sky Lord rose. He grasped the hilt of a clearly magical sword known as Tempest. Its blade was engraved with runes that represented air, fire, and the moon, a particularly rare combination. The sword's hilt was topped with a diamond.

"You're all traitors," Erius growled. His sword flared with white light as he unsheathed it. "I should never have trusted you!"

"No," Trin replied. "You are a traitor to your own people. You are the one who has mislead them."

"Explain yourselves, then."

"We know that you are the false Sky Lord, and that your half-brother is the true heir to the throne. We have proof."

Erius glared at the faery. "You may have convinced Sireth to come forward, but you shall not live to tell my people!" Then he glowered at his half-brother. His eyes were full of hate. "Calduris Fogweaver, this day will be your last."

"We'll see about that," he replied.

Torrent's blade glowed blue as Calduris held it up. For a few moments, the cold metal reflected the intricate lattices of light and shadows that danced across Thunderspire's crystalline walls. Then a lightning bolt suddenly arched over the room, crackling with energy as it raced toward its target. A protective egg-shaped sphere of light formed around Erius and absorbed the magical energy. The runes of moonlight on his sword flared brightly for a heartbeat.

"It will not be so easy to defeat me," he remarked with a sneer.

"I shall enjoy the challenge," Calduris responded.

The two would-be Sky Lords fought for an eternity, exchanging blows and spells. Electricity sizzled in the air as cold wind rushed through the room and glowing sparks danced across glistening blades. It seemed as if the air elementals were the only beings in the universe. In fact, they were the only two who mattered at the moment. Suddenly, Torrent came down hard and fast. A cascade of blinding white sparks followed the blade. The sparks hissed as they struck Erius's cloudy shape.

He grimaced in pain. "You have not beaten me yet."

"No, but you are close to defeat. Surrender now and I will let you live," Calduris said.

"Never!" Enraged, Erius called upon Tempest's strongest power. Shimmering white flames erupted across the sword's surface. "Witness the fire of the moon and feel its wrath."

Calduris howled as Erius plunged the sword into his form. The flames exploded into brilliant light.

Erius laughed. "Have a nice death, half-brother. Now I will deal with these traitors." He stood up straight and glared at them. "You have all earned my wrath."

He began to cast a spell, but Calduris tore Tempest free and hurled it with all his might. The sword struck Erius's back. It flared with incandescent light as he cried out in pain. Everyone was forced to shield his or her eyes. The radiance surrounded Erius completely. Then his howls faded as the light vanished, along with him. The sword clattered to the ground.

"My half-brother underestimated me," Calduris said grimly. "I wish I hadn't been forced to kill him. He paid the ultimate price for his mistakes."

"You did what you had to," Sireth Silverfog replied. "Now everyone will know that you are the rightful heir."

Calduris nodded. Then he turned to the adventurers. "I will send you home, but first, I have something you might want."

"What?" Kip asked.

"The key to the sun prison. My father found it after Zoru escaped. Erius never knew. You will surely need it if you want to imprison that despised snake god again."

Calduris held out his hand and the key appeared. It was a gleaming gold sphere with a circular incision on its base. The sun rune was also carved into the base. "You will know what to do with this when you need it."

Kip took it. "Thank you."

"No, you and your companions are the ones I should thank. It is you who have restored the proper rule of Thunderspire and the air realm."

"Wait. How do we get to the sun?" Aliya asked.

"There is a spell that can open a portal to the astral realm. I only know that it can be found in your own realm. There is an ancient library called Sagehaven where the spell was kept long ago."

"I have heard of that library," Trin said. "It was a peaceful haven for members of all races to gain knowledge. Even if the world was at war, the library was supposed to be a respected site. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during a battle, but there is a small chance that the spell may be found among its ruins."

"Good," Calduris replied. "I am glad that there is hope. Where do you want to return? I can send you anywhere inside your own realm."

"If we appear inside Teracor, Neteilu won't expect it," Tanith said.

"He'll just attack us right away," Fenrek argued. "Let's go someplace where we can rest up for a bit, like Daranor."

"What about the Wanderer's camp?" Aliya suggested.

"That'll be too heavily guarded," Kip replied.

"There is one place where we can safely go," Trin said. "Neteilu will not be watching it, either, because he expects no resistance coming from it."

"What's that?"

"My home. Neteilu will not expect to find us there."

"Can you send us to the faery kingdom, just outside the palace?" the dragon inquired.

He nodded. "Consider it done."

The Sky Lord chanted and a shimmering portal appeared. When they approached it, he said, "I wish you the best of luck, my friends. Farewell."

They would certainly need good luck in the days to come, Kip thought. The world was still precariously balanced, ready to fall and splinter into a thousand pieces if the equilibrium was tipped. Their greatest fight was yet to come.

The End

Thunderspire By Emily M. Hanson

Part 8

Resounding thunder echoed throughout the turbulent sky as the adventurers arrived at Thunderspire. The royal guards sounded the alarm as they recognized Calduris. Air elementals rushed toward the heroes with enchanted weapons.

"Thus the battle begins," Fenrek remarked.

Kip transformed into his human shape and chanted a protective spell. Trin flung several magical arrows, which exploded as they hit their targets. Fenrek's enchanted arrows also burst into flames as they struck home. Calduris roared and charged forward, wielding Torrent. Trin had enchanted Tanith's sword with a flaming aura, since a purely physical sword didn't harm the elementals. The warrior wielded Sirocco with expertise. Aliya stood back with Sireth, protecting the female elemental. She wished she could do something more to help, but all she had were her daggers and she didn't dare risk using her magic again.

The adventurers fought their way through the ranks of the guards until they reached the throne room where Erius waited. As the fight spilled through the open doors, the Sky Lord rose. He grasped the hilt of a clearly magical sword known as Tempest. Its blade was engraved with runes that represented air, fire, and the moon, a particularly rare combination. The sword's hilt was topped with a diamond.

"You're all traitors," Erius growled. His sword flared with white light as he unsheathed it. "I should never have trusted you!"

"No," Trin replied. "You are a traitor to your own people. You are the one who has mislead them."

"Explain yourselves, then."

"We know that you are the false Sky Lord, and that your half-brother is the true heir to the throne. We have proof."

Erius glared at the faery. "You may have convinced Sireth to come forward, but you shall not live to tell my people!" Then he glowered at his half-brother. His eyes were full of hate. "Calduris Fogweaver, this day will be your last."

"We'll see about that," he replied.

Torrent's blade glowed blue as Calduris held it up. For a few moments, the cold metal reflected the intricate lattices of light and shadows that danced across Thunderspire's crystalline walls. Then a lightning bolt suddenly arched over the room, crackling with energy as it raced toward its target. A protective egg-shaped sphere of light formed around Erius and absorbed the magical energy. The runes of moonlight on his sword flared brightly for a heartbeat.

"It will not be so easy to defeat me," he remarked with a sneer.

"I shall enjoy the challenge," Calduris responded.

The two would-be Sky Lords fought for an eternity, exchanging blows and spells. Electricity sizzled in the air as cold wind rushed through the room and glowing sparks danced across glistening blades. It seemed as if the air elementals were the only beings in the universe. In fact, they were the only two who mattered at the moment. Suddenly, Torrent came down hard and fast. A cascade of blinding white sparks followed the blade. The sparks hissed as they struck Erius's cloudy shape.

He grimaced in pain. "You have not beaten me yet."

"No, but you are close to defeat. Surrender now and I will let you live," Calduris said.

"Never!" Enraged, Erius called upon Tempest's strongest power. Shimmering white flames erupted across the sword's surface. "Witness the fire of the moon and feel its wrath."

Calduris howled as Erius plunged the sword into his form. The flames exploded into brilliant light.

Erius laughed. "Have a nice death, half-brother. Now I will deal with these traitors." He stood up straight and glared at them. "You have all earned my wrath."

He began to cast a spell, but Calduris tore Tempest free and hurled it with all his might. The sword struck Erius's back. It flared with incandescent light as he cried out in pain. Everyone was forced to shield his or her eyes. The radiance surrounded Erius completely. Then his howls faded as the light vanished, along with him. The sword clattered to the ground.

"My half-brother underestimated me," Calduris said grimly. "I wish I hadn't been forced to kill him. He paid the ultimate price for his mistakes."

"You did what you had to," Sireth Silverfog replied. "Now everyone will know that you are the rightful heir."

Calduris nodded. Then he turned to the adventurers. "I will send you home, but first, I have something you might want."

"What?" Kip asked.

"The key to the sun prison. My father found it after Zoru escaped. Erius never knew. You will surely need it if you want to imprison that despised snake god again."

Calduris held out his hand and the key appeared. It was a gleaming gold sphere with a circular incision on its base. The sun rune was also carved into the base. "You will know what to do with this when you need it."

Kip took it. "Thank you."

"No, you and your companions are the ones I should thank. It is you who have restored the proper rule of Thunderspire and the air realm."

"Wait. How do we get to the sun?" Aliya asked.

"There is a spell that can open a portal to the astral realm. I only know that it can be found in your own realm. There is an ancient library called Sagehaven where the spell was kept long ago."

"I have heard of that library," Trin said. "It was a peaceful haven for members of all races to gain knowledge. Even if the world was at war, the library was supposed to be a respected site. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during a battle, but there is a small chance that the spell may be found among its ruins."

"Good," Calduris replied. "I am glad that there is hope. Where do you want to return? I can send you anywhere inside your own realm."

"If we appear inside Teracor, Neteilu won't expect it," Tanith said.

"He'll just attack us right away," Fenrek argued. "Let's go someplace where we can rest up for a bit, like Daranor."

"What about the Wanderer's camp?" Aliya suggested.

"That'll be too heavily guarded," Kip replied.

"There is one place where we can safely go," Trin said. "Neteilu will not be watching it, either, because he expects no resistance coming from it."

"What's that?"

"My home. Neteilu will not expect to find us there."

"Can you send us to the faery kingdom, just outside the palace?" the dragon inquired.

He nodded. "Consider it done."

The Sky Lord chanted and a shimmering portal appeared. When they approached it, he said, "I wish you the best of luck, my friends. Farewell."

They would certainly need good luck in the days to come, Kip thought. The world was still precariously balanced, ready to fall and splinter into a thousand pieces if the equilibrium was tipped. Their greatest fight was yet to come.

The End

Author's note: I am definitely planning on writing another sequel. Thanks for reading.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2