Thunderspire By Emily M. Hanson

Part 6

Calduris began to tell his story. "My father, Corsias, was a jealous man. He loved Sayra, Erius' mother, with all his heart. She wanted power for herself, so she began to make him loathe my mother, who was his rightful wife. When Erius and I were born during the same week, but to different mothers, our father forced the midwife to tell everyone that my half-brother was the true heir. No one disputed the midwife's word. My father imprisoned my mother. She died several decades later."

"Where is your evidence?" Trin asked. "You cannot expect us to simply believe you."

"Sireth Silverfog, the midwife, still lives. Her residence is kept under close watch. Her son, Zirandir, is one of my half-brother's guards. Zirandir would know how to find her, but he is loyal to Erius," Calduris continued. "It is also possible that Erius believes he is the real heir. But I think it is likely that our father told him the truth before he died, and so his deception continues."

"Thank you," she said. "We will question them. Will you give your word not to attack us when we leave?"

"Yes. I await news of your discoveries."

The journey back to Thunderspire was uneventful. The guards allowed them to enter. Even Erius was not surprised that they had returned so quickly.

"So, the guests have returned. I hope you bring news," the Sky Lord said.

"Aye," Kip replied. "We have found and spoken to your half-brother. We fought, but he still lives," the dragon lied smoothly. "We need to regroup and replenish our supplies."

The cloudy form of Erius nodded. "How much time do you need?"

"No more than a few days - four at the most."

"Very well. But I expect results soon."

"And you shall have them," Kip replied, bowing cordially. The others followed him out.

Zirandir Silverfog was practicing with a longbow. His shots were rapid and precise, hitting the center of the target most of the time. The air elemental turned as he realized he was being watched. Through azure eyes, Zirandir looked pointedly at the newcomers.

"Ah, the adventurers I've heard so much about. What brings you here?"

Trin said, "We were hoping you could answer a few questions for us."

If he had eyebrows, Zirandir would have raised them. His silvery-gray form darkened a bit. "Oh?"

The faery nodded, realizing that she would have to be discreet. "We are currently trying to find a way to deal with Calduris and his rebels. Perhaps you might be able to give us more insight into his motives. Why would Calduris believe he has the right to the throne?"

Zirandir shrugged. "Because he's an arrogant fool. Who knows?"

"Why would he believe that your people would accept him as the Sky Lord?"

"They wouldn't. They would only accept someone who is the true heir of Corsias Moonstrider, and that's Erius. Calduris is a bastard, literally."

Trin nodded. "So even if Calduris were to defeat Erius in battle, he would never be truly accepted?"

"Right. Now, if that's all, I have other things to do," Zirandir told her coldly.

"One moment," the Faery remarked.

The air elemental sighed. "What now?"

"How is your mother doing?"

Zirandir froze. "She's dead, of course." But something in his expression and demeanor told her he was lying.

"I am sorry to hear that. How did she die, exactly?"

"Old age. Now if you will please go…"

Trin took a deep breath. "I know as well as you do that your mother is still alive. I also know that she is the only one who can prove that Erius is not the true heir to the Sky Lord's throne. Please don't do anything foolish."

Zirandir sneered. "I should turn you in for being traitors."

"And I am sure that Erius would reward you. However, your people would be denied their rightful leader."

"Erius is their rightful leader," the elemental exclaimed, then set aside his bow and drew his lightning spear.

The others stepped forward, but Trin waved them back. "I can deal with this."

"If you say so," Kip replied. "Know that we are here to help, if you need it."

Sparks flew as Zirandir thrust his spear forward. Trin quickly conjured a protective magical shield, which absorbed the electricity. Then the elemental began to cast a counter spell. Trin chanted at the same time and hurled a magical arrow. It exploded into flames as it struck her opponent.

The air elemental cursed and tried the counter spell again. Trin summoned another magical arrow. The explosion caused Zirandir to drop his spear. She drew an enchanted dagger with a glowing red blade and held it over him.

"I do not want to kill you," Trin said, "but I will if I must. Tell us where your mother is, and I shall let you go."

Zirandir closed his eyes. "She is in a secret location deep within the Stormy Wilds that is well-protected. It is not far past Rivenshade, but I doubt that Calduris has been able to discover the location. It's an unusually calm area. My mother cannot leave, and no one can enter unless they know how to get past the wards."

Trin nodded. "Do you know how to?"

"Yes. Touch the crystal near the dwelling and say the password Linya Fogweaver. That was Calduris' mother's name. It has been kept secret for years. The only other who knows it is Erius."

"Thank you for your help," Trin said. "Do I have your word that you will not say anything to Erius about this?"

Quickly, Zirandir nodded.

"Good."

She sheathed her dagger, but continued to watch him warily as her acquaintances left. Hopefully, finding Sireth Silverfog wouldn't be too difficult.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2