Thunderspire By Emily M. Hanson

Part 5

Calduris was incensed when he realized that the guards had failed. The outsiders were approaching fast, thanks to the wizard who had summoned the magical moonfire. Surely the girl had to be a wizard, for no one else could command that much magic. They would come and likely fight. If they won, he would spend the rest of his life in Thunderspire's dungeon for nothing more than trying to get back what was his.

He sighed. Soon the outsiders would be there. All of the magical traps were activated. If the guards didn't take care of them, perhaps the traps would. And if not, then Calduris would deal with the outsiders himself.

As the dragon landed atop one of Rivenshade's towers, he let the riders climb off. Trin and Tanith both lifted Aliya, who was still unconscious, and set her down carefully. Then Kiperreth turned into his human form -- that of a tall, well-built man with golden hair and emerald green eyes.

"We must be cautious," Kip said. "No doubt, Calduris is prepared for us."

"Aye," Fenrek replied. He checked his remaining arrows. There were only about two dozen left. He hoped that he wouldn't run out.

Kip cast a protective shield around Aliya. "Someone should stay with her."

"I will," Tanith found herself saying.

"No," Fenrek gasped. "We can't afford to lose you."

She shook her head. "In case you haven't noticed, my scimitar is useless against these air elementals. They can only be damaged by magic."

"That is indeed a problem," Trin said, "but I believe I can enchant it to become magical temporarily. Fire seems to be effective."

"Then who will stay with the girl?" Tanith asked.

"'I'll stay," Trin said.

Kip nodded. "That would be prudent. She may need healing when she wakes up."

"May I enchant your blade?" the faery asked.

Tanith reluctantly handed it over. The faery took out a ruby and muttered a few words in her native language. There was a bright flash of red light. Then the ruby she held crumbled into dust, which she sprinkled over the scimitar. Sirocco glowed red for a few moments, then returned to normal.

"The enchantment should last for six hours," Trin said as she handed the scimitar back. "Whenever you strike something, the sword will burst into flames for several moments."

"Thank you," the flame-haired woman replied.

Fenrek looked at the tower in front of him. There was a rather large wooden door, and he supposed it wouldn't do to just walk in.

"There are probably all kinds of booby traps," the Melosean remarked. "How are we going to get in?"

"Like this," Kip replied.

He pointed a finger at the door and chanted. There was an audible click, and the door opened slowly of its own accord. The dragon smiled grimly and walked through. Fenrek and Tanith followed. Trin bent down to rub some healing salve on Aliya's injuries.

Aliya was flying, though not on Kip's back. She was flying without wings through the night sky. It was as though something was calling out to her. She soared through the sea of stars, past the moon and a world of rock that looked cold and dead. That came as a surprise. She had not known there were other worlds.

She flew past several smaller dead worlds towards the sun. A giant glowing ball of fire loomed before her. Instinctively, Aliya knew that if she were not dreaming, she would not have survived the journey. But she flew towards it anyway.

Incandescent plasma leapt towards her, but somehow missed touching her by inches. Flames danced all across the sun's molten surface. It was sweltering hot, but something was protecting her from the heat. Aliya flew on.

The center of the sun was bubbling and boiling like a cauldron. Searing light was everywhere. Somehow, she wasn't blinded. Then Aliya heard herself chanting. A golden stairway rose up from the depths of the sun, sparkling and glowing in the fire. A few flickering flame tongues lapped at it, then withdrew. The lava parted from it, revealing a hidden passageway. Where it lead, the girl didn't know, but she knew that she had to follow it.

Aliya landed on top of the stairs. All of her fear forgotten, she took one step, then another step into the sun. It was surprisingly dark and cool in the tunnel, but light enough to see the end. She walked for what seemed like days. Then as she reached the light, she realized that the passageway opened up into a room.

It was cold and white. There was light all around, but from where, she couldn't tell. A ring of magical gemstones, one of each, was on the floor. Lines connected one gemstone to another. Candles were placed in-between.

Then a mysterious voice boomed, "This is where you must go, Aliya. Zoru must be imprisoned here once again. You must lead him here."

Aliya could not tell whether the voice was male or female, only that the speaker was telling the truth.

"How?"

"You will know when the time is right."

She woke with a pounding heart and looked around. The faery woman was leaning over her with a concerned expression.

"I saw it," Aliya gasped. "I saw the prison in the sun!"

Trin paled. "You mean, the prison that Zoru had escaped from?"

"Yes. I was there, Trin. I know what I'm supposed to do now. I have to lead him there."

The faery looked even whiter than before. Surely that would be perilous. The girl was not even fully trained in the use of her powers. She could die! "Oh, no."

Aliya was adamant. "I have to, Trin. It's in the prophecy. I can do it. I will do it."

The faery nodded. "Perhaps. You are definitely powerful, but your lack of training may get you into trouble. It has already endangered your life."

"Then teach me."

"I would, but I am not skilled in the type of magic you have. The dragon would be a better choice."

"Kip?"

"Yes."

"Then maybe when we get home, I'll ask him." Aliya was resolved to fulfill the prophecy, no matter what the cost to her own life might be.

Trin nodded and checked Aliya over with a scrutinizing gaze. Her gash had healed somewhat, thanks to the healing salve, and there were no other visible injuries. "Are you feeling all right?"

The girl nodded.

"Then let's go and find the others."

With that, they set off into Rivenshade.

Meanwhile, Tanith struck yet another air elemental. Sirocco burst into flames, and her opponent howled. Fenrek launched arrows, which exploded when they hit their targets. Kip sent a dozen magical flaming darts into the fray. The air elementals roared with rage and fury as their ranks were quickly decimated.

Finally, Kip hurled a small fireball, aiming it carefully so it would not damage his companions. The blast finished off the remaining guards. Tanith picked up a lance that had fallen from one of the destroyed guards. It might come in handy.

They approached the door to Calduris' quarters. Kip chanted, disarming the magical wards that had been placed upon it.

"Stay behind me," the dragon warned.

The adventurers cautiously entered the chambers. Calduris was there, reading a scroll at his desk. He turned around and gave them a look of pure hatred.

"Foolish outsiders. You don't understand what is happening. You don't even know who you are working for."

"Erius Moonstrider, the Sky Lord," Fenrek responded.

Calduris' eyes flashed angrily. "No, you fool. I am the true Sky Lord. Erius is my half-brother. He tricked everyone into believing that I was a bastard, when it was he who was born second."

"What?" Tanith gasped, lowering Sirocco.

"It is a long story. Do you wish to hear it, or would you rather kill me and return to your home?" the air elemental replied.

Kip gave his companions a warning glance, just as Trin and Aliya entered the room.

"What's going on?" Aliya wanted to know. She had her dagger drawn.

"We'll hear the story," Kip replied. "Aliya, lower your weapon."

"But that's…"

"Put it down."

With a sigh, the girl complied.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2