Thunderspire

By Emily M. Hanson

Part 3

Tanith, Trin, and Aliya met a young female servant as they left the chamber. She was sweeping the floor.

“Greetings,” the faery said. “I am Trin, and you are?”

“Aera,” said the young elemental.

“We just want to ask you a few questions.”

The servant’s eyes widened. “About what?”

“Do you know anything about the assassin who tried to kill the Sky Lord?”

“Not much. I’ve heard the guards talking, though. They suspect the rebel leader, Calduris Fogweaver. But they can’t find him, and they’re not going to.”

“Why is that?”

“Because his hideout is supposed to be in the Stormy Wilds. It’s an area of wild magic and lots of storms. They can be deadly, even to my people.”

Wild magic was unpredictable magical energy, but pockets of it only existed in the elemental planes. There were no known areas of wild magic in the world below. Tanith frowned. She did not like going into the unknown, especially with a girl who was on the verge of womanhood and untrained in her magical talents. Aliya was meant to defeat a god. What if she accidentally destroyed them all?

“Thank you,” Trin said.

The young elemental nodded and resumed cleaning.

“I don’t like this,” Tanith said as they walked away.

“What?” Aliya asked.

“The idea of wild magic. If we have to fly into that, and I’m sure we will, how are we going to deal with it? You can barely control your abilities under normal circumstances.”

The girl looked annoyed. “I’ll be fine.”

“Right,” Tanith replied, unconvinced.

“Kip and I will help her if necessary,” Trin remarked. “Do not worry, Tanith.”

“I am not worried. I was just thinking ahead.”

Trin nodded. “As a good strategist must. Let’s see if we can find out any more.”

A little while later, they met another servant, this time an adult male. He was polishing some of the statues in the corridor.

“Hello,” Tanith said.

The air elemental looked startled. “What? Oh, the visitors. What can I do for you?”

“We are wondering if you knew anything about the assassination attempt.”

“Me? My Lady, I am just a humble servant. I know nothing except what I am told by my superiors.”

Tanith responded, “And what have they told you?”

“That it was a bold attempt by a coward to slay our leader.”

“Ah. And the coward would be Calduris Fogweaver?”

The elemental nodded. “I see you have heard that rumor as well.”

“Do you know anything of him? Why would he do such a thing?”

“It is said that Calduris is jealous of the Sky Lord and his relationship with Ania Stormstar. You see, Calduris is a bastard in the literal sense. His mother was a servant who had a relationship with the Sky Lord’s father. Calduris and Erius are half-brothers, born one year apart. Erius inherited his father’s realm after he died in the battle that resulted in Zoru’s imprisonment.”

Aliya gasped. “But that was millennia ago!”

“Our people are long-lived,” the elemental said. “I myself have lived 1,400 of your years.”

“That’s incredible.”

“Do you think Calduris wants to take over his brother’s realm?” Tanith inquired.

The elemental nodded. “It is the most logical conclusion.”

“Thank you,” the flame-haired warrior replied. “Your information will help us.”

“I hope so.”

As they departed, Aliya wondered if she would indeed be able to control her abilities. Tanith was not entirely wrong, though she had no right to bite her head off like that. Perhaps Kip would have some ideas.

The adventurers met in the guest chamber to confer. “What have you found?” Trin asked Kip and Fenrek.

“We have a suspect,” Fenrek answered. “Calduris Fogweaver. He has a lair in an area called the Stormy Wilds.”

Kip held up a map scroll. “The captain of the guards gave us this. Did you learn anything?”

Trin nodded. “Calduris is the Sky Lord’s half-brother. But he was not the legitimate heir, so Erius got everything when their father was killed in battle. It was the same battle where Zoru was banished to his prison in the sun.”

Fenrek’s eyes widened in astonishment. “That long ago?”

“Ah. Elementals are an ancient race, Fenrek. They are even older than dragons. They were present when the gods created the physical realm we live in.”

“Oh. So this rebel leader has a motive, then?”

“Indeed,” Trin replied.

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go after him.”

“Hold on,” Tanith said. “We need a plan.”

Kip nodded. “I will prepare the protection spells needed to enter the Stormy Wilds. They will prevent the wild magic from affecting us too badly, and protect us from the storms as well.”

Tanith looked relieved. “Good. But where exactly is the hide out?”

“We don’t know,” Fenrek answered. “However, the guards had some ideas of where to search. We can start looking when we get there.”

“Aliya,” Trin said, “Before we go, I can teach you some meditative techniques so that you’ll be able to control your magic more effectively.”

The girl nodded. “Thank you.”

Tanith sighed. “I apologize for my previous outburst. I am not used to having my feet on anything but solid ground.”

“Apology accepted,” Aliya said with a smile.

They began their preparations for the journey that would hopefully lead them home.

Meanwhile…

Calduris Fogweaver paced, hovering on the obsidian floor of Rivenshade tower as he did so. Candles flickered all around, giving an eerie glow as flames and shadows danced across the dark stone. The assassin who had tried to kill his brother had failed. He was quickly running out of patience. His spies in Thunderspire castle had reported that several visitors had come from the world below and were helping Erius find him.

His brother had taken what was rightfully his, claiming to be the legitimate heir when in fact, he was. Erius had stolen his birthright. Now Calduris was forced to make his home in a pocket of wild magic, where storms raged most of the time. He could not leave Rivenshade tower, so he sent servants to do his work. But he knew that he would eventually have to deal with the meddlers. Soon he would have the realm that his brother wrongfully controlled.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2