Today marks the anniversary of D-Day, and for a local community in South Carolina, it marks a time of tremedous blessings.

On March 11, 2004, Edgefield County gave a hero's welcome to the soldiers of the 122nd Engineering Battalion that had been stationed in Iraq for 11 months or more. Today, a parade is scheduled to show them our appreciation for their service so that we can all enjoy freedom.

This story is dedicated to those soldiers and to all soldiers who answer the call.

++++
Welcome Home

It's been one of the longest years of my life and it's not over yet. It won't be over until we finish this final leg of our journey. And this bus is way too slow.

'It's good to be back,' I hear someone say. But we're not back yet. We won't be back until we're home. And home seems like it's still hundreds of miles away. Funny, I never noticed the interstate seemed this long before. Guess it's the anxiety. Being away from home for so long can do that to you.

'The first thing I'm going to do is eat!' boomed a guy in the back.

'I'm going to hold my babies,' was the comment of another man. He has a new baby, almost six months old now. His oldest is nearly ten, but I guess they'll always be his babies.

With a smile, my thoughts turn to my own babies. I have two boys and a little girl. They've grown so big. I was able to spend one day with them last week when we first arrived back in the states. I couldn't stop hugging them. Danny's playing baseball and asked if I'd help coach his team. Absolutely. I plan to do everything!

'I think I'm going to ask my wife to go out with me,' another young guy announced. He'd only been married for a month when we got the call.

I think about my own wife... Ah, she's a beautiful lady, with more strength than I'd ever imagined. The entire time I was gone she held our family together, took care of the bills, and managed to keep the lawn mowed. I think I'll ask her to go out, too.

'I just want a hot shower. No. A soak in a hot tub,' Debbie said with a smile. She's one of just a few women in our unit, but she's one tough cookie.

'I want to hug my mama.'

Everyone turns to look at Jack, the youngest in our unit, just barely twenty years old. We'd all been skeptical he'd make in the Iraqi desert when we were first deployed. He was so homesick. Then he got his first letter from home and he seemed to pull himself together. After that, he'd read his letters from 'Mama' to us all. She'd always add the tag: 'Tell the boys I said hi and take care. God bless!'

'Yeah,' replied another young man. 'I think I want to hug my mama, too.'

Me, too. And Daddy. I want to hug everybody! It's good to be going home.

I love my country. I serve it proudly. I answered the call and I would have died to protect my homeland because freedom doesn't come without cost. But I sure am glad to be headed home again.

'We're home, fellows!' exclaims an excited voice and out the window I watch as the county line sign looms larger than life. Not much further now!

All around me tough men and women have to fight back the tears. Who would have thought seeing a little green sign could do that to you? We're content to bask in the silence with the knowledge that in a few short miles we'll be able to truly say we're home.

I allow more images of home and family to lull me until we make that last turn and start toward the local high school. The community has planned a 'Welcome Home' ceremony for us. The local dignitaries wanted to officially welcome us back and thank us for a job well done. The official order to stand down will be given and there will probably be a small crowd, mostly family and friends.

As we draw closer, everyone starts to fidget in anticipation. Only a mile to go now; the police cruiser leading the way turns on his siren. He probably wants to let the small crowd know we're coming. I'm sure they're just as anxious as we are.

'Get a look at this, guys!'

We all strain to see what Hank is yapping about. Being the comedian of the crew, he's always got something to say. But this time there's no trace of humor in Hank's voice. In fact, there's tears on his cheeks. Stretched out before us is the school and sun soaked automobiles as far as the eye can see. The stands on the football field come into view and they're packed to capacity. There's people everywhere!

'Now that's what I call a homecoming,' whispers my buddy, Mack.

Huge smiles grace our faces even if we can't stop the tears from falling. There's no way to describe the feeling of seeing all those people there to welcome us home. As the bus passes the field, we can see the crowd is all on their feet, waving little American flags and shouting.

We've never fell into formation as quickly as we did moments later. Then we start our march, our last march of a very long year. You can't describe what it feels like entering a place where so many are there to support you. And the shouts and clapping gets louder. They're happy we're home. Family, friends, and those who are just glad we're back are there to offer their support. Never had we imagined this kind of reception, but let me tell you, it sure feels good. We've put it all on the line for our country, for our way of life, and for the folks gathered around us, we're heros. The crowd reminds us that is wasn't all for nothing. Tomorrow we'll play with our kids, kiss our wives, and yes, hug our mamas on free soil. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'd answer Uncle Sam's call and proudly serve beside my brothers and sisters in the name of freedom. But right now... right now I'm glad to be home!

This little piece is dedicated to the men and women of the 122nd Engineering Battalion who came home March 11, 2004. I was in the crowd that cheered when the bus came into view. Although I didn't have a husband, brother, or close family member coming home, there was several people I knew among the soldiers. Standing side by side with those who did have a family member returning, I was no less excited. Those few hours spent in the stands waiting for our service men and women to come home was one of the most memorable days I've spent in a long while. Thank you all for serving. Thank you for the inspiration for this bit of writing. And welcome home!