YESSSSSS! This is the next chapter of A Cones Worth. Mom didn't read it or anything grumble but oh well. Just meens your seeing it NOW! Hot off the press! Err...and a bunch of other stuff too! jump

A Clones Worth by Phoenix Rising

The shadow paced, worried. Silently, its gaze would turn down the hall. A spark of interest, but nothing else. Something else was pressing on the shadow’s mind. Something...it couldn’t quite understand.

Raven’s fingers twitched.

‘What is it? I’m close, I know it, but what is it?’ The shadow narrowed its eyes, a low growl building in its throat. Something important. But what?

Raven moaned lightly.

The shadow’s hip hurt. The shadow blinked, looking down at its leg, as if that would explain everything. Nothing seemed wrong, but...something wasn’t right. Something...was terribly wrong.

Raven’s eyes fluttered, but didn’t open.

The shadow looked once down the hall, and shook its head. Eyes turned to the other hallway, the one that was always ignored. Not now. Not this time.

Raven’s head lolled.

The shadow walked with new determination, headed down the mysterious hall, its eyes looking to the left and right. Strange, metal doors with windows cut in were spaced evenly through the hall. Bars filled the window, and the place stunk of death.

Raven opened her eyes, unseeing.

The shadow froze, its brow furrowed in concentration. Something was behind that door. And it wanted out...

Raven blinked, her vision returning. The...was it hallucinations? Was she having a strange nightmare? A sharp stab of pain jolted her, and Raven cut off a cry of pain. Looking down, something jabbed into her neck. With out even time to whimper, her eyes closed, and her body sank into sleep.

The door rattled again, then settled down. The shadow frowned, then lowered its body to the floor. Crossing one leg over the other, the shadow folded its arms. It too, could play the waiting game.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Casey looked at the TV screen, and flipped the channel. Her twin, Aria let out a cry of anger, but Casey ignored her, even as Aria fell silent.

The image on the screen was from channel 15 news, and the image was far from peaceful. The very blacktop was torn and totaled, and there was a gaping hole where something had hit a wall. The burnt wreckage of a car was underneath. Dried blood was on the ripped up pieces of sidewalk, and mass destruction ruled.

“I’m standing in front of a normally peaceful part of town, which just last night got the shock of its life. According to eye witnesses, at first they thought there were slight earth tremors, because a store’s display of crystal glasses was vibrating. Then, one woman leaned out her window, and saw something frightening. Care to tell the viewers, ma'am?” The interviewer held the microphone up to a young woman, who nodded.

“Yes. I looked out my window, and saw something ‘throw’ a car into that building there. There was a woman underneath it, and then I think somebody pushed her. Then the car fell on the person who pushed the woman, and then, the car was on fire. I was going to call 911, and then it looked like something was just tearing the car apart. The thing that had thrown the car and the thing that had ripped it apart started to fight. I didn’t see much after that.”

“You called them things. Did you actually see what the creatures looked like? Do you know what they were?”

“Well, the car thrower was big and white and had a tail. It looked a little like my brothers pet iguana. The thing that tore the car had dark hair, was smaller and faster, and even from my room on a second floor and across the street, I could hear this strange ‘click’ every time the creature with hair stepped on the street. As to what they were... I don’t know. I’m just going to have to call them ‘things’.”

Casey turned the TV off, and stared at the blank screen. ‘What the hell? What can throw a ‘car’? And what can tear a car to pieces?’

“Casey…” Aria begin.

“Yeah?”

“Give me the remote.” Casey stared at her twin for a moment, then shook her head. She dropped the remote in Aria’s outstretched hand, and mulled over what had happened in the night.

Aria turned the TV on, and switched the channel to a beauty pageant. Casey stared at the ceiling.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Young Raven clutched at her teddy bear as her mommy packed clothes in boxes. Mommy’s toys went in the boxes next, and Raven whimpered. At least they weren’t yelling any more. That was always good. Maybe they were going on vacation! Raven smiled, and then gasped when the loud banging downstairs started up again. He was throwing stuff again.

Mommy started emptying drawers, and put the stuff in more boxes. Then mommy found Raven’s treasure, her ‘special.’

“You don’t really need this, do you Raven?” Mommy asked, holding up the shining ball with its sparkles. “Of course you don’t.” Mommy dropped the special on the floor, and Raven watched it break, the water and gold sparkles spreading across the floor.

Young Raven scooted away from the glass, and clutched at her teddy even more. And then mommy was taking teddy away.

“Raven, you’re too old to hang on to such worthless toys anymore. Look at it! The fur is almost gone, the eyes are falling off, and the legs and arms have been sewn on far too many times. Lets just get rid of it.” Mommy tossed the bear in the trash, and started attacking all of young Raven’s ‘baby’ toys next. For some reason, mommy got to keep all her toys, like the pretty crayons she put on her lips, but Raven could only keep her older books, and clothes. Nothing else.

Raven felt the tears building up in her eyes, but sniffed and tried not to cry. Mommy was right. Raven was getting too old for most of her things anyway. Right?

“Emily! Get out! Before I call the cops!” Daddy yelled, and Raven winced. She wished they didn’t yell at each other. Mommy took young Raven’s building blocks, and walked out the door. Raven watched the door for a minute, then scooted over to what was left of her toys. She picked up her stuffed bunny, and slipped it in between young Raven’s shirts. Then Raven walked back to the corner, and sat down. Mommy came back without the blocks, and daddy followed.

“Can it, Trask. I’ll leave when I have what I want. Now, go down to your lab.” Mommy waved her hand, and Daddy slapped her.

“Shut up.” Daddy looked around, and saw Raven. His angry look faded, and he walked over to her, seeing the sparkles and water and glass on the floor.

“Hey kiddo, I’ll come by and buy you a new special, huh? Does that sound fun?” Daddy asked. Young Raven nodded, and smiled thinly. “‘Kay then.” Daddy got back up, and glared at mommy. Then he left. Young Raven watched her mommy finish getting rid of Raven’s toys, finish packing, take the boxes down the stairs, and then Raven followed. Her mommy grabbed young Raven’s hand, and pulled her faster along.

Young Raven was strapped into her car seat, and then mommy got behind the wheel. The car pulled away from the large stone house, and Raven watched it disappear around a corner.

“Mommy? When will daddy come buy me a new special?” Mommy ‘hummed’, and then shook her head.

“Knowing your father, never.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Raven’s eyes fluttered. Pain in her hip, and in her lower abdomen, pulled her out of the dark recesses of her mind. Her head lolled on the hard surface, and she weakly sat up. Waiting until the world stopped spinning, she looked around.

It wasn’t much. Certainly better then nothing at all, the tiny ‘room’ consisted of a toilet, sink, metal bed and table and chair. There didn’t seem to be a door, until Raven looked closer. The door was the same dingy shade of gray as the walls. Just blended right in.

Crossing over to the toilet, she did her business. Her hip hurt worse for the movement. Hopping over to the chair, trying to keep her weight off the injured leg, Raven sighed. What happened? She could hardly remember. Something...hurt...pain...

Groaning, she let her head fall into her hands. Trembling, she breathed deep, trying to remain calm. Her mind was screaming at her to run, get out of there! But common sense told her there’d be little help in hurting herself worse.

‘What’s going to happen to me?’ Raven trembled at the thought, and whimpered. A single tear rolled down her cheek, leaving a wet trail behind it. Her throat grew tight, and another tear followed the first. ‘I’m scared.’

Casey knocked on the door, her hands stuffed in her coat pockets. It was fall, and the weather was getting chilly. Soon there’d be snow. Smiling lightly at that thought, Casey rapped on the door again. Still no one came to answer it. Frowning, Casey grabbed the door knob and twisted. The door opened, and Casey gasped. Didn’t they lock their doors?

Stepping inside, glad for the warmth, she shut the door behind her. The lights were turned off, but the natural light kept things bright enough. A little boy suddenly appeared, looking hopeful.

“Mo- oh, you not Mom.” The kid’s eyes dimmed, and Casey blinked.

“No, I’m a friend of Raven’s. Is she home?” Casey bit her lip, wondering. ‘Am I really Raven’s friend? Aw, who cares?’

“Raven’s supposed to be home. She got grounded. But she wasn’t hear when I woke up, and neither was Mom.” The kid’s voice trembled slightly, and he took a deep breath. “I’m Nathan.”

“Well Nathan... I suppose I can stay with you until your mom or Raven gets home.” Casey unzipped her jacket as she spoke, and took off her shoes. Nathan smiled.

“Would you? Really?”

“Yes, really.” Casey ran up the stairs two at a time, and walled to the kitchen. The entire house seemed to be color coordinated. Ah well...not that she lived here or anything. The messy kitchen showed Nathan’s inability to make himself breakfast. Casey sighed, seeing she’d be cleaning up as well.

\/-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-\/

Casey turned down the hall, looking for Nathan. She found him, staring at his mothers closet. ‘its called lingerie kid.’ Casey thought with a smirk. Getting closer, she saw he wasn’t staring at the clothes, but at the wall. Or the lack of a wall.

‘stay calm. Stay real, real calm. You can’t help anyone panicing.’

“WHAT THE HELL?”

Raven bit her lip, wrapping another strip of cloth around her hips. It would have to do. But it hurt so bad!

The shadow tenced, seeing the door move slightly. Narrowing its eyes, the shadow settled back down. Not yet.

Raven blinked, and shook her head. She could have sworn...but no, it was impossible. She couldn’t...how could she...? Nodding, she walked over to the bed, lowering herself lightly to the iron surface. Turning onto her side, she closed her eyes. Slumber was quick in coming.

Trask leaned back in his chair, pleased. It wasn’t every day that he killed two birds with one stone. Well, or so the saying goes. Raven was his, and Emily was not a problem any more. Now, he could turn to more...serious needs. Such as ‘The Hunter’. Picking up his phone, Trask dialed a number.

“Give the hunter a bonus.” With that said, Trask ended the call. Turning to his favorite drink, set out all for him, Trask smiled. Everything was coming to plan.

Yeah, that’s it. I don’t know. What do you think? I’m trying to keep Raven natural and real, yet...not real, you know? Plus, she’s, oh, fifteen, and she’s been kidnapped. I hope I’ve got her response right. NE ways, comments are always more then welcome! I think this was sort of filler...

If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to settle for being a horrible warning. ::Shifty Eyes::