Here is another short story from me. It was written for 'The Short Story Project'. I was instantly intrigued by this title because it offered so many opportunities to the author. All you had to go by was a made-up name. This is what I came up with.

Phiglia

by Sira Thiel

The rain that had continued to fall for several days had turned the normally dusty dirt roads into muddy lanes. A paradise for children. They were playing happily in the mud when the women who had been working on the nearby fields came running back into the little town screaming. They startled those who had work to do at home as well as the children. Young as they were they sought out their mothers in the midst of this confusion. All except a black haired little girl who had taken the time to listen to what the women were screaming. And what she heard rooted her to the spot.

“The Mongolians! The Mongolians are coming! Safe yourselves! The Mongolians are coming!”

The little girl had heard too many vivid stories describing in horrid details the cruelty of these men of the east. It was sheer luck that saved her life. It was her neighbour, a sturdy woman who was busy herding her children to her home. Seeing the little girl standing there unmoving, she made a beeline for her and ushered her to her house, where her other siblings were already gathered.

And they were glad that she had come home for she was the youngest and their mother would never have forgiven them for losing their little sister. It was then that their mother reached their house, still out of breath since she had been working on the far west field and had been among the last to hear the terrifying news.

“Hide, my children, hide!”, the terrified mother cried. “Hurry, hurry! There's no time to dawdle!”

Immediately her children dispersed and sought out their favourite hiding places which they usually used when playing hide and seek.

One went down into the hidden cellar, another hid in the shed amidst bundles of hay. Again another hid under the roof of the house, where there was a tiny closet. And so it went on. The youngest however chose not to hide in or around the house. No, the little girl ran for the huge and old tree in the yard and climbed it deftly. In the crook of two branches she huddled in on herself, closing her eyes and praying for the protection of their gods. She would never know if they heard her, but to her it seemed like the branches were growing in density and were soon hiding her completely from the view of anybody who might think of looking up at the tree.
And some good spirit pitied the little girl: it made her fall asleep to spare her the knowledge of the cruelties that were about to happen.

When the Mongolians came, they came with their weapons drawn. And upon their arrival there was a great slaughtering, for the word killing is to weak to describe what they did to these innocent villagers. They committed unspeakable crimes and, after they were finished, they set fire to the wooden houses, leaving smoking and blackened ruins behind.

All this happened during one day. The Mongolians had come by mid-morning and were leaving when the sun was setting. It was then that the little girl awoke, still safely hidden in her tree. The first thing her sleepy eyes saw was a breathtaking sunset that filled her heart with joy and wonder at seeing the immaculate beauty of the world.

But this joy faded soon when she noticed what was left of the only home she had ever known. And of the people that had been there for her all her life. At first silent and uncomprehending, she started to walk through the remnants of her village. And slowly understanding began to dawn on her. And with the understanding came the tears. Unheeded and silent, they ran down her cheeks while she continued onward. Her destination unknown even to herself.

When she reached the former centre of the town, the full realisation of what had happened hit her. She broke down, now sobbing in earnest. She huddled in on herself and closed herself off from the rest of the world.

It was like that when SHE found her. SHE had been searching for the little girl amongst the ruins of the village fearing that the child had not been spared the fate of its family and friends. When SHE came to the former market place at the centre of the settlement, SHE heard the soft sobbing of a child. Of the child SHE had been searching for.

HER heart went out to the little girl. SHE wished with all of HER soul that she could have been spared this fate. All too well did SHE remember what it was like to lose everybody and everything. But SHE was not here to remember, SHE was here to secure the future. And first, SHE had to console the child. In so far as one could console a child in such a situation.

SHE knelt beside the girl and gathered her into HER arms and started to rock her gently, mumbling soothing words. They stayed like that for quite some time until the little girl had calmed down.

The curious gaze of the child surprised HER, but not so much as did the question the little girl asked: "Are you an angel?"

SHE did not know how to answer, but SHE also knew that she had to: "No, I'm no angel. But I have come to bring you to a place where it is safe."

SHE could not help but feel that SHE was being scrutinized. By a child. It was not a pleasant feeling. Desperately searching for something to say SHE opted for: "Tell me, what is your name?"

Obviously, the question put the little girl at ease, being somehow safe territory. For she answered without hesitation: "I'm called Phiglia."

SHE could not hide her surprise at that. And before SHE knew it the words had escaped her: "You, too?"

It was clear that Phiglia did not understand that reaction and SHE was glad about it. The explanation would have been too complicated and would have raised issues that were better left alone.

HER musings were interrupted at that point by another question from Phiglia: "And who are you then?"

That was most certainly a difficult question. But Phiglia didn't give her any time to formulate an answer.

"If you are not an angel, then you must be a goddess!"

That statement really caught HER unprepared. And it made it clear, that a few explanations were needed.

"No, I'm not a goddess either. But...oh, how do I explain?" SHE sighed. It was really far too complicated for a child like Phiglia, but SHE had to try nonetheless. "Listen to me carefully, child. And don't interrupt me, even if you find it outrageous what I'm telling you."

Vigorous nodding and a rapt expression on Phiglia's face assured her of the child's undivided attention.

"Well, there are no gods. At least not allpowerful beings that direct the human fate at their will. But there are entities who guard the order of nature and the universe. But they do not come into lives of people to mess with them. They stay apart from humankind. I am one of the few who have been in contact with them from time to time.

They have chosen me for a special task. I am to guard the existence of humankind and all other creatures of this world. I am not always successful, but I try my best. Today they sent me here, to find you and take you with me. For you are chosen to follow in my steps when I have gone from this world, when I am dead. You are to be the next guardian of Earth."

After these words, silence settled between them. SHE was mentally reviewing her words and was quite pleased with them. Phiglia did the same. And she felt that she was beginning to understand. There was only one thing she couldn't grasp at all.

"But you are still young. How can you think of dying?"

SHE smiled gently. It pleased HER that this child that was meant to follow after HER, was so perceptive.

"To the eye I may seem young. But in truth I am older than any other living creature on earth. It is one of the things the entities I told you about grant those they have chosen."
With a very serious expression Phiglia nodded her understanding. "Are we going then?"
That innocent question excited the first laugh out of HER in a long time. "Yes, my dear, we are going now. Give me your hand, please."

Phiglia complied and would there have been any spectators they would have witnessed a miracle; for the mysterious woman and the little girl vanished. Just like that. As if they hadn't ever been there.

Many hundred years later.

Phiglia stood at the window of present, watching military troops entering a village in what was called South Africa.

It still baffled her that the world was such a large place. And that everything on it had got its own name. She felt still the same wonderment as when SHE had told her that she was of Greek origin while SHE was a Sumerian. And it seemed the next in line would be a little South African girl.

Phiglia had already spotted her. She was hiding in a little cave with a hidden entrance. But she had to wait. The time to go to the little girl had not yet come. So she spent her time musing about her life after she had met HER.

Phiglia had grown up in the Realm of the chosen ones. It was a strange place with its own rules. It had three gates and three windows. She had had a happy childhood and she had learned many things from HER.

HER. Even now, centuries after HER death, SHE had left the world while asleep, still as young and beautiful as SHE had been the day Phiglia had met her, even now, Phiglia did not know HER name. As strange as it may seem now, she never thought of asking HER.

HER death had been a surprise and yet not. Phiglia had taken up her duties. She had watched out for every species. Some which were in danger she had been able to safe, others had been beyond her help.

She had also met the entities on three occasions: right after HER death and on the first days of World War the First, as humankind called it. They had warned her then that a time of wars lay ahead, that she had to be more alert than ever and that she should try to save as many people as possible. It had been hard to see so many dying who she couldn't save...

And the wars had continued. Even now there were several raging, but she had to concentrate on this little village. The next guardian of Earth was there and she had to bring her to the Realm. That was what the entities had told her to do on their third visit to the Realm. And they had also told her not to safe any of the inhabitants of that village.

Her mind understood their reasoning. No one could remain who would search for the little girl.
But her heart refused to understand. Too well did she remember the pain and the grief after finding her family, friends, her village gone, dead.

A change in the window of present caught her attention. The soldiers had left the village. The simple buildings were still ablaze with fire. But the flames were the only things moving. Nobody, nothing alive remained. Except for the girl in the cave.

Phiglia reached out with one hand towards the window, concentrated hard and found herself in the middle of the burning village. Slowly, she started to move around. Searching for the way to the cave where she would find her charge. Unless the little girl left her hiding place.

An anguished cry from the far side of the village informed her that the child had indeed come out of the cave. But before she could reorient herself a figure appeared ahead of her, running towards the centre of the town where she was standing.

'A survivor? That can't be.'

But it was a survivor. And as the person drew closer, Phiglia realized that the unsteady light of the flames had played a trick on her eyes. It was not an adult, as she had first thought. No, it was the little girl she had come to fetch. And tears were streaming down her cheeks while she stumbled forward, her small body racked with sobs.

When she had reached Phiglia, without noticing her presence, she tripped. But she did not hit the ground. She was caught by the older woman. The surprise startled her out of her grief. Momentarily forgetting her circumstances she stared at the tall woman with the long black hair.

"Who are you? Are you an angel?"

Phiglia smiled. Children so readily believed in the existence of angels. As she had when she had been a child.

"Not in the way you mean, little one. I am the guardian of Earth. And who are you?"
"I am Phiglia.", was the prompt answer.

The older woman did not know what to say until she remembered what SHE had said on their first meeting: "You, too?"

Suddenly everything became clear and she really understood.

Life was a circle. Life on Earth as well as life in the Realm.

She smiled warmly at the younger girl and offered her her hand: "You can't stay here. Come with me. I can teach you many things."

"Am I going to be a guardian of Earth, too?"

"Yes. I have come to fetch you. Take my hand, and we will be on our way."

The girl with the dark skin and curly black hair didn't hesitate. She laid her hand in the offered one. And once more a little girl vanished form the surface of earth. Believed to be dead like the other inhabitants of her village.

Phiglia took her little namesake into the Realm. She showed her the three doors and the three windows. One of each for present, past and future. The past to learn the history of the world. The present to guard. The future to keep the hope.

Many hundred years later.

Phiglia, by now a dark skinned, beautiful woman, stood at the window of present. She was watching as a raid of alien invaders entered a village in Brazil. There was only one inhabitant she was allowed to save. A little girl who was hiding on the little island in the midst of the nearby river.

The End.

You can comment on this here . I'd really appreciate it.
~Sira