Part 14

The next day, they headed back to the Mitzelgranian mines because it was apparent that whoever had stolen the Copernicus must have used some sort of mining equipment. The sounds of the miners' mechanical equipment filled the air, as well as the stench of sweat and dirt.

"Hey," Kilroy said to one of the miners who happened to be taking a break, "you haven't seen my ship by any chance, have you?"

"I don't know. What does it look like?"

"The Copernicus is a small scouting vessel, mostly made of titanium."

"Hmmm…nope, can't say that I've seen it, but I'll keep an eye out. You might want to check with the foreman."

"Where's the foreman's office?"

"Go east and take the first tunnel on the right. It's the only office, so you can't miss it."

"Thanks."

After following the miner's directions, they came to a well-lit office. The door was open and the foreman, actually a woman, was sitting at her desk. Unlike most Mitzelgranian females, who kept their hair long, she wore her hair at shoulder-length.

"Hello," Kilroy said.

"What can I help you with? I'm very busy, as you can see, so please get to the point. If you're tourists, I can arrange for a tour. It's not safe to be wandering around these mines without a guide."

"Actually, we're looking for a space craft."

The foreman's eyes narrowed. "It wouldn't be made of titanium, would it?"

"Yes, it would."

"Sorry, can't help you. Have a nice day." Brusquely, she returned to her work.

"Wait," Kilroy said. "Maybe we can cut a deal."

"What do you have in mind?"

He told her about the artifacts they'd found. "I'll give you a percentage of my share of the profit."

"All right. 70," she replied.

"No way. It was hard work getting those artifacts. 10 percent."

"Do you want your ship back, or don't you? 40 percent."

"15," he said.

"You're a hard bargainer. But all that titanium is worth a lot of credits to me. 30," she said.

"20," he offered.

"25."

"Done," Kilroy agreed.

"I'll make sure your ship finds its way back to where you left it. We didn't realize it was a ship at first, you see. When our metal detectors sensed the titanium, we thought it was an asteroid. Very few off-worlders actually come to visit. In fact, humans haven't landed here since the colonists arrived," the foreman said.

"We should report you to the authorities," Kaladox said.

"For what? An honest mistake?"

"I sincerely doubt it was an honest mistake, but since we have no proof otherwise, we'll reconsider -- for now."

"Good. Wait here, I'll make a contract." The foreman typed into her computer and in a few minutes, the contract was printed out. "Sign on the dotted line, Captain March."

It read:

I, ---------------, agree to give Velesa Tarix 25% of my share of the profits of the discoveries made from May 14, 2233 to May 17, 2233 in the psionicists' tower, currently located beneath the Mitzelgranian mines. This contract is subject to any and all local laws that may apply.

He signed it, and Kaladox signed as a witness. The deal was made.

"Your ship will be where you left it before the day is over," the foreman said.

"Great. Thanks."

Now that he had his ship back, Kilroy could go back to Earth. But there were still a few things left to do on Mitzelgran.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2