Memory Soup

By Emily M. Hanson

Part 13

As they walked out of the translocation portal, Kilroy realized that he was back at his landing site. But his ship, the Copernicus, was gone!

Seeing the aghast look on his face, Infinity asked, "What is it?"

"This is where I landed," he replied. "What could have happened to my ship?"

"It doesn't have a cloaking device, does it?" Horatio inquired.

"No. It's missing."

"Look," Hamlet exclaimed, spotting a glittering metal object sticking up out of the dirt. It was an apparatus used for digging, attached to a rod, which extended far below the ground. "The miners must have stumbled across it."

"But why would they just take it?" Kilroy asked.

"Your ship is made from titanium, correct?" Horatio asked.

"Yes."

"Titanium is nearly as valuable as Venusium here. Someone probably decided it was worth the risk to take your ship and dismantle it."

Kilroy sighed. "I suppose we have to go back into the mines."

"I'd like to eat a good meal and get cleaned up first, if you don't mind," Horatio replied.

"But that's my ship down there!"

"Whoever stole your ship can't have taken it apart yet. It's only been a few days since you landed. They're probably still searching your ship for valuables."

"I didn't have any."

"Well, they don't know that."

Kilroy glared at him. "Have you ever piloted a ship?"

"No."

"Well, then you don't understand something that every captain in this universe knows. After a while, your ship becomes part of you. It's like another limb. You can't expect me to just abandon the Copernicus. It would be like cutting off my right arm."

"You won't be abandoning it," Horatio argued. "I just want to take a shower, eat something besides rations for a change, and get a good night's rest. If you want to go, then go, but I'm not going anywhere until tomorrow."

"Kilroy, we're all tired," Kaladox said. "Even you. We all need some solid food and sleep. Remember, we'll be rich soon enough with these archaeological discoveries. You'll be able to buy any ship you want."

"I don't want just any old ship. I want the Copernicus," Kilroy replied, aware that he was sounding like a small child having a temper tantrum. He sighed. "All right. You all made a good point. Let's get some rest first."

Dominia greeted them at the door. "My goodness! You're back so soon!"

"Mother, this is Silverclaw and Kaladox," Hamlet said. "They just need a place to stay for tonight. Is it all right for them to stay here?"

"By all means. Come in." Then she whispered to the twins, "Your father's getting worse," she whispered. "He's forgotten who he is these past few days. He thinks he's William Shakespeare! I've made him Memory Soup, but it's not having any effect."

They exchanged glances.

"There must be something we can do," Hamlet said.

"I'm afraid we're losing him," Dominia replied sadly.

"Dear me," everyone heard Cosmo remark in the other room, "I've forgotten where I put that script." He walked into the main entryway where they were all gathered. "Have you seen my script? I know I put it somewhere around here." Suddenly, he stopped and stared at Silverclaw. "You," Cosmo gasped. "You would make a perfect Juliet!"

"What is a Juliet?" the werewolf inquired.

"Not what, but who! She is the lead female character in my play, Romeo and Juliet. Ah, it is such a tragic romance. But I am certain the audience will love it."

Silverclaw looked at the others in confusion. "I don't understand."

"Mr. Shakespeare, perhaps you might want to reconsider," Infinity replied, realizing that to correct his misinterpretation of reality might be disastrous. "I have been such a fan of your work for years."

"What are you doing?" Horatio whispered.

"Until your father gets his memory back, we might as well play along. Besides, it could be psychologically devastating for him to learn that he's not who he thinks he is."

"She's right," Dominia said. "I've read the medical reports about his condition. Suddenly learning the truth could send him into a state of shock, or even a coma. Cosmo has always loved Shakespeare, from the time of his childhood."

"To be or not to be," Infinity quoted, "that is the question."

Cosmo stared at her as though he were seeing someone else entirely. "That is absolutely brilliant, my dear lady. May I use it?"

"Certainly."

They went off into the next room to talk. Dominia's weariness was evident on her face as she asked, "Would anyone like some tea while I make dinner?"

"That would be wonderful," Kaladox replied.

"Most definitely," Horatio answered.

"What is tea?" Silverclaw asked.

It looked like it was going to be a long evening.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2