well, seeing how wildly popular part 1 was, i've decided to post part 2. wink

you can find the TOC here.

from part 1 ...

SNOW

Respect? Him? He's my father, and I love him and all, but how am I supposed to respect the guy when he's still clinging to some crazy... religion or something... whatever you want to call it... that died out before I was born? Ah, forget it. I don't want to get into that. Look, since you’re looking to get into the biz, Nick over there is a writer/director. He may be able to get you a part.

AMY

Really?

SNOW

You think I’d kid you about something like that?

AMY

Where is he?

SNOW

In the corner over there, where he always skulks.

AMY

Huh, I didn’t see him. What’s he doing back there? And why’s he dressed like that?

SNOW

He’s a little... eccentric.

AMY

Hmph. Eccentric? I should have guessed.

SNOW

He’s convinced that he’s a character in some play.

AMY

Oooookaaaayyy...

SNOW

It’s why he did the whole movie thing.

AMY

Huh?

SNOW

He thinks there’s some conspiracy or something. He got into the biz to try to become an insider and find out about it.

AMY

Gotcha.

and now, part 2...

NICK

You think I’m crazy, don’tcha?

AMY
<startled>

What?

NICK

You think I’m crazy.

AMY

Uhm, I don’t really know you very well, so I wouldn’t want to... make a... judgement.

NICK

How very... polite of you. Take a look over there. <Points towards audience> What do you see?

AMY

Well, there’s a wall. It’s got a Grateful Dead poster, a Metallica poster, a large psychedelic peace sign, a window, there’s one of those neon “pizza” signs in it...

NICK

NO! No, no, no, NO! Look closely. What’s beyond the wall?

AMY

A street? A lady with a poodle? Los Angeles?

NICK

You don’t see them, do you?

AMY

Don’t see who?

NICK

Whom.

AMY

What?

NICK

It’s whom. “I” is the subject, even if it is understood, so the people that you don’t see are part of the predicate. Therefore, the word you’re looking for is whom, not who.

AMY

Ok. Sorry. So, WHOM am I not seeing?

NICK

The audience! They’re sitting right there! There is no wall where you were looking! Right there in the front row... <He begins describing a few of the audience members. Try to have fun with this, but staying in character is obviously the most important thing. Observations should be simple and direct, and only insulting if Nick does it unintentionally. He should respond to audience reactions as appropriate.>

AMY

No. I don’t see any of them.

NICK

Not even <select someone to pick on>?

AMY

No.

NICK

But <pick out something obvious about him/her “the hat!” “that t-shirt!” or something like that>

AMY

No. I’m sorry. I don’t see them.

NICK

Well, you’re a good actress, I’ll give you that.

AMY

Thank you! <beat> Uh, wait.... I’m not acting.

NICK

Very good. I don’t know about you, but whoever is playing you is doing it well.

AMY

Er, thanks, I think.

NICK

There really is no wall there. I’ll prove it to you. <Gets up, if he hasn’t already done so, and walks towards the audience. The actor, being a brilliant mime, should have no trouble having Nick “slam into” the “fourth wall.”> Ow!

SNOW
<In the final stage of repairing the oven>

You ok, Nick? <To Amy> Dude does that every day.

NICK

Yes, and every day you meet her for the first time. How about this? In another few seconds, Dave, a shy, bookish, professor, will walk in the door and order a slice with extra cheese.

SNOW

So? Dave does that every day at this time.

DAVE
<Walks in through the door, goes up to the counter. By now, RAINCLOUD has walked on stage. He is currently working behind the counter, making a pie with extra cheese.>

The usual, please. Hi, Nick. How’s your head?

NICK

I’m fine.

AMY

Hey, Nick, Dave can I get your autographs?

NICK

Sure.

DAVE

You want my autograph? Why?

SNOW

Let's just say collecting autographs is her hobby.

DAVE

Uhm, ok.

AMY
<goes over to NICK with her autograph book>

I've question for you, Nick. Every conspiracy theorist has his own answer- who killed Kennedy?

NICK

Probably Oswald, but it was on TV, and Lincoln was in a theater when he was shot by a guy named booth! It's always the theater. There’s something about the industry...

AMY

You actually think it was Oswald? That’s a first. You may be sane, after all.

NICK

Thanks.

AMY

But if this is a play, it doesn’t seem to have much of a plot.

NICK

Maybe it’s one of those “slice of life” plays. That would explain the pizzeria. Oh, God, that’s cheesy. Pizzeria, cheesy... uh, that’s even worse.

SNOW
<By now, he’s finished with the oven, and, leaving
the wrench handy, washed his hands again.>

Hey, Amy! Here’s your pizza.

AMY

Pizza? Oh, yeah.

SNOW

That’ll be $1.25, please. <She hands him the money> Thanks.

RAINCLOUD
<Walking in from the back room. AMY is getting DAVE's autograph.>

You got the oven fixed, then?

SNOW

<Sigh> Yeah, Dad.

RAINCLOUD
<Puts the pie into the oven>

Why don’t you make some more dough?

SNOW
<Looks at Amy, then sighs and looks at the counter>

Sure, I guess.

NICK

Hey, could I have a coke?

RAINCLOUD

Sure, Nick. <Hands him the soda. Nick pays for it, then goes back to his booth, where he broods over the rim of the cup.>

DAVE
<Sits heavily in the nearest stool>

RAINCLOUD

You ok, Dave?

DAVE

Not really.

RAINCLOUD

What is it?

DAVE

Ah, the University rules require each faculty member to give a talk every few years, and I just found out it’s my turn.

RAINCLOUD

So? What’s the problem? You’re a professor, you love to teach, and you’re good at what you do.

DAVE

But my classes are always small. A few people I can deal with, but giving a talk in front of a large crowd? I couldn’t!

AMY

Couldn’t? Why not? Crowds are wondrous things- especially when they’re there for you!

DAVE

W w w wondrous? Not for me, they’re not! Crowds make me... nervous. <Staring off towards the audience> I get... stage fright. How am I supposed to give a talk in front of that many people? I’ll choke up. I could lose my job!

NICK

You’re doing it right now.

DAVE

What?

NICK

Talking in front of a large group of people.

DAVE

What people?

NICK

The audience! There’s a large audience right over there, and they’re all watching you.

DAVE

This is some sort of visualization exercise, right?

RAINCLOUD

You mean you don’t know?

DAVE

Don’t know what?

RAINCLOUD

You’ve been coming in here every day for how long, now, and you don’t know about Nick’s theory?

DAVE

What theory? Every day, I come in, Nick has just hit his head, and then he goes off and skulks in the corner.

RAINCLOUD

Nick has this idea that-

NICK

Yeah, it’s a visualization exercise. Try it out. See if you can see them. <He begins to describe the audience again, but this time slowly, more carefully, trying to get DAVE to see them, if only in his mind>. Concentrate. Do you see them?

DAVE

Concentrate. Right. There’s <begins describing the audience, from what he remembers. NICK corrects him, as needed>. There’s something there... ok... The wall is going away... AAAH!! People! I... can’t... NO!

SNOW
<Kneading the dough for the next pizza>

Calm down, Dave. Relax. You know, what we need is a good song. I’ll start.

Dough, some bread, some uncooked bread.

RAINCLOUD

Ray, that guy at the garage.

AMY
<Takes a beautifully choreographed step, stands with one hand on
her heart, the other outstretched>

Me, what life is all about!

DAVE
<Looks up, darts his head around>

AMY
<Whispering to DAVE>

Fa!

DAVE
<Face clears, he brightens. Then, with gusto, but the “Deck the halls” tune>

Fa la la la la la, la la la LA!

<All stare at him. He shrugs, embarrassed>

AMY

So, when can I be fed?

DAVE

LA, THE ONLY NOTE I KNOW!

RAINCLOUD

T, the Cambridge line is red! <AMY looks at him, confused. He whispers to her> I used to live in Boston.

SNOW

Which will bring us back to dough, dough, dough <throws the dough up into the air, misses it on the way down> D’oh!

NICK

What was that?

AMY

What was what?

NICK

That song, the choreography...

AMY

What are you talking about? That was a perfectly ordinary conversation.

NICK

Oh, God! I’m in a musical! <Puts his head in his hands. Takes a deep breath.> Look, what was that about being fed? You already got your pizza! <To Dave> You! You’re supposed to be too nervous to sing like that! And that line about the Boston subway- nothing to do with anything! It was obviously just thrown in to rhyme. I won’t even start about Ray.

AMY

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

DAVE

What’s this all about?

NICK

All the world’s a stage, and it ends RIGHT THERE!

DAVE

What?

AMY

Nick thinks that he’s a character in a play.

NICK

Yes, and you saw the audience!

DAVE

So that wasn’t a visualization exercise?

continued in part 3 ...

please take the time to comment on this part here.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.